Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
the under-the-hood stuff looks great. wish they'd kill the hideous dock. am excited for this, tho...it's the performance enhancements that i want most...

It looks just as good as 10.8 dock since its the same. What's so bad about it?

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
Honesty, between ios7 and 10.9 I am shocked. In a good way however, it seems it be a slightly differently way of thinking. They are starting to realize most people using OSX are power users and want features like finder tabs and good dual monitor support. I'm very happy!

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
it's still ugly, it's ALWAYS been ugly. fake 3d, waste of space...anyway, i've modded EVERY dock since 10.3, so will mod this one too.. :cool:

Huh. I love the way it looks now. Clean but not flat.

So, did you just remove the dock with mirage?

printz

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2012
I'm not overly excited as much as thinking "It was about time!". Interface-wise, i.e. with Finder and multi-screen, it seems like it's playing catch-up to competing systems, like Ubuntu Unity, which looks like OSX with the dock, but has addressed these issues. Nice of Apple to fix it as well. The multimonitor space scrolling may boost my productivity, so thanks. I hope they still unveil some feature that makes it revolutionary, in the same way Lion was to Snow Leopard (most notably, system-wide Autosave/Versions/Resume, great safety nets that other OS can't replicate).

Regarding CPU/memory management improvement (if it works): I don't care that much; my rMBP is already a beast, I don't experience delays. I wish and hope they'll improve the rMBP rendering quality instead.

The name Mavericks is too American and not as cute as cats. It also is like the Windows codenames (not even release names): Chicago, Memphis, Longhorn… I prefer they used the Apple wine names as official names now :)

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Looks really good! It's what you'd expect to keep Mac performance ahead of PC performance in terms of the OS.

Hate the name but luckily it doesn't make much of a difference.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Huh. I love the way it looks now. Clean but not flat.

So, did you just remove the dock with mirage?

in the past, i've changed files, but this time, mirage (and some custom icons)..
and will find a way in 10.7 as well... :cool:

dockML.jpg

32KFJ

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
Austria
looking forward to the new Mac OS X.. :)

very good presentation from craig hairforce one :)

let's start the testing!

and i think the gap between mac os X and ios 7 is gigantic..

maybe the real ios 7 design is just not finished :)

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
Why did people get especially excited for the calendar? I'm fairly new to Mac, is it that they went back to how it used to be?

I think it's a real productivity bump. Imagine the power efficiency combined with the increased battery life of the MacBook Air. :D

Hopefully there will also be some improved file handling with icloud. It just doesn't make sense to drag and drop the whole HD to icloud. Sync certain folders or tags would be great.

alexmshore

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2011
UK
One thing that I found odd was they changed the design of iCal but stuck with the same design for both Notes and Reminders - despite altering them in the new iOS.

They don't really need changing as they don't seem as bad as iCal did, but I would have thought they would have done the lot.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed with the keynote. But as always we'll have to see the final version to see if any glaring omissions remains, they couldn't demo/announce all the features given the time.

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
Seems like a solid release, just wondering why some of the design from iOS7 isn't carrying over. Perhaps next year they will unify some the new design elements over to the desktop?

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
I like it a lot, mostly the cpu improvments and the new safari. I can feel all those needs with my rmbp 13.

they fixed the screen problem and even got better with mission control on it. looks great imo.

can't wait for fall.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
What do you think of Mavericks? Anything noteworthy?
Compressed memory is one of the biggest features in 10.9.x+. Apple uses already compression for Window buffers (since Mac OS X 10.1.5) and for “sleep” files (via WKdm (i think since Mac OS X 10.3.x)).

Here is my post regarding compressed memory (29. Nov. 2011):
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13935092#post13935092

I wrote Apple via:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Thanks Apple for the implementation! :)

oatman13

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2013
Compressed memory is one of the biggest features in 10.9.x+. Apple uses already compression for Window buffers (since Mac OS X 10.1.5) and for “sleep” files (via WKdm (i think since Mac OS X 10.3.x)).

Here is my post regarding compressed memory (29. Nov. 2011):
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13935092#post13935092

I wrote Apple via:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Thanks Apple for the implementation! :)
No Sir, thank you. lol Along with this I have to say that OpenGL 4.0 is the second greatest improvement with this release.

JazzyGB1

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
UK
At Last - Features For MAC users! :)

I have to say Apple have won me over with this.
After all the (poor) porting of IOS 'features' into a computer OS Apple have finally looked at what enhances the computer users experience.
The three things they featured are great because they are genuine improvements to a MAC OS, not ported gimmicks from IOS.
The improvement to multiple displays is long overdue, but looks to have been superbly implemented - same goes for tabs and full screen on the finder too and the tags feature is great and looks really useful.
Really well thought out genuine improvements for a COMPUTER OS - well done Apple, I'll be buying it as soon as it's available. :)

PS: Just hope they give me the option to have the colour back in the finder sidebar too and then I'll be a VERY happy bunny indeed. :)

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Can't wait to try the dual monitor crap. Perhaps I'll even attempt it in Full Screen. :eek:

So again, somebody tell me why was this so hard to do in the previous two releases?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.