Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
I really think this seems like it could be the best release yet. I even like the name :D I think Apple finally put some serious thought into what would really make us users happy and what would make our Macs more powerful and fast and better to use.

I love the memory compression, accelerated scrolling, and the app nap features. This should make my 11 inch MacBook Air a lot better to use.

I can't wait to try out the release ;) Why does downloading 4.6 gigs feel like it's taking forever? :p

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

I find it to be a good enough explanation to a non-programmer. If you think you can do better, go ahead

----------

No Sir, thank you. lol Along with this I have to say that OpenGL 4.0 is the second greatest improvement with this release.

Its GL 4.1... ;) GL 4.0 would have been a weird choice. I hoped for 4.3, but well... I suppose you cant get everything

AlphaDeuce

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2013
Nor-Cal
I give it Mavericks a big thumbs up!

The Apple ecosystem is going to be hard to beat. The tighter integration with iOS 7 and iCloud is the really cool part to me.

I am going to wait until OS X Mavericks is released before I buy the new MacBook Air. My future MacBook Air will replace my Mac Pro 1,1 since my Mac Pro cannot be updated passed 10.7.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I like the new technical features. Im disappointed that the design is the same. I was hoping for some visual UI improvements somewhat similar to iOS, which looks amazing.

They wouldn't do that for a release that still falls within OS X. It is likely coming next year with OS XI.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
They wouldn't do that for a release that still falls within OS X. It is likely coming next year with OS XI.
Why do people seem so hot for OS XI? After 10.9 will most likely be 10.10.0 - during the keynote they talked about running out of cat names for OS X, so they were switching to places in California. That doesn't sound like they're planning on changing the name of the OS.

They've done UI changes between different versions of OS X, there is no reason for them to not do it again.

mdapple

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
anyone have problems with commonly used apps? as in… spottily, Skype, MS office suite, etc.

damox

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
how about resolution scaling on rMBP? do you see any difference? i have 15 inch rMBP 2,4 GHz and I'm really disappointed when using 1680 x 1050 res (even on nvidia's GPU) because of sluggish system animations and so on.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
running smooth so far. Have yet to run into anything major debacles, actually surprised that majority of my 3rd party apps actually still work. *Knock on Wood*

scottlitch

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
New look

I'm really surprised they aren't bringing the look of iOS 7 onto the Mac with 10.9 Mavericks. Is anyone else hopeful they just didn't want to spoil the surprise of the new look for iOS in the presentation? I hope final release of Mavericks will ship with an updated interface to match the new look of iOS!

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
I hope not.. OS X's GUI is last thing they should change! Now they should optimize OS X performance and implement new technologies, not break things that are working! /at least now/ - I don't wan't another Lion :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.