Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
I'm definitely upgrading - ordered an upgrade copy just as soon as the UK store came back up. It should ship within 24 hours.

Apart from all the other great improvements, I was specifically hoping for proper geotagging support and this should fit the bill. Now all I need is for Nikon to do a proper job with the D90 replacement and build in GPS, rather than expect users to buy the clunky, expensive and hard to get hold of GPS-1 add-on. At the moment I'm using a GisTEQ PhotoTrackr which was a fraction of the price, clipped to the camera bag. It works well, but means an extra workflow step to get the locations into the image metadata - which wouldn't be necessary if the camera did it.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I think this is the version that makes me finally jump up from iPhoto, Ive been using the Trial of V1 and V2 on and off for a lil while, and the new features of 3 have shoved me across :D

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm seriously considering switching to LR. While I prefer Aperture's workflow, it's just a resource hog and it seems that things like X-rite's Passport support LR out of the box- so unless they were simply waiting for Aperture3 to be released to announce support, I'm probably going to jump ship when LR3 hits the streets.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
I've been waiting for a while to move to either Lightroom or Aperture, and I've been trying the beta of Lightroom 3 and the demo of Aperture 2 for a couple of weeks now.

While Aperture 3 addresses what I thought was the biggest shortcoming of Aperture (no adjustment brushes), I've sort of gotten used to the Lightroom way of doing things. So, I'll give the demo for 3 a try, but I think I might be going with Lightroom.

Also, the mystery and secrecy surrounding Apple's projects doesn't bother me when it comes to hardware, but it's a real annoyance when it comes to software. The user community for Lightroom is pretty big, and even some Aperture fans were wondering whether Apple might just drop Aperture altogether...

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
I've always liked the work flow a bit better on Aperture, but having all my pictures load at once drove me up the wall. I switched to LR because it could handle catalogs so well. I would create a new catalog for each different shoot and then only work with those. I could never do that in Aperture. Now, it seems like you can switch libraries. I'm very excited to download and play with this tonight. If it can handle this, I'll be very happy and can switch back to Aperture. I've used the beta Lightroom 3 and like the new features. Noise correction on that is incredible. I hope Aperture 3 can do the same.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Noise correction on that is incredible.

Please don't take this as a slam (or an attempt to derail the thread) - but is noise really a big issue? I've generally thought of noise correction as being much more of "a solution in search of a problem" than anything else. It's rarely an issue with decent equipment and proper technique; plus it seems to fall mainly in the realm of pixel-peeping.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I just hope I can turn off Faces and Places, I don't need it working its way through my library, I'm on a 2Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 with the RAM ceiling of 3GB. I don't need it wasting processor cycles finding faces I won't need.

EDIT: There is an option to turn it off, I just noticed on the features page. :) Which is nice.

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
This is the update I've been waiting for. A couple notworthy, in my case, update:
  • Full IPTC metadata and the ability to import Metadata sidecars
  • You can have multiple Libraies, and switch between them
  • You can do all of your work, fullscreen
  • Image adjustments on import
  • Adjustment live preview

The list goes on! It's just amazing!

Full list: 200+

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
I'm definitely upgrading, Faces in Aperture will make my weightlifting photography that much easier to organize, as every shot in every sequence has a clear shot of the face, this is going to speed my turn around time up so much now.

also the 64bit support is awesome.. now only if Final Cut had that..

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
My bad - it's not Tracks, it's called Trails. Here's the link:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trails-gps-tracker/id289190494?mt=8

I just found that too, I'm going to give the free version a try. Also there's this one which has a free version as well:

http://gpslogapp.com/

The problem with most of the other apps is that they want to use a data connection all the time while running, which is no use for my travelling.

The problem with all of them of course is that they have to be running all the time and you can't let the iPhone sleep, or they stop logging. If only Apple would allow multitasking... maybe I'll have to stick with the GiSTEQ PhotoTrackr Lite. I believe it can export GPX which Aperture should be able to import directly and match up the photo times. The GiSTEQ software is horrible so this would be a big step forward anyway :)

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Hm. Just registered for the trial and received a body-less email from apple with subject: Getting started with Aperture 3. Same deal when sent to another account and using safari vs. firefox. Odd.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Hm. Just registered for the trial and received a body-less email from apple with subject: Getting started with Aperture 3. Same deal when sent to another account and using safari vs. firefox. Odd.

Are you using web email or the Mail application? Others have said it's not blank in Mail, just in browsers.

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Are you using web email or the Mail application? Others have said it's not blank in Mail, just in browsers.

Wow. Sure enough. I just had to set up Mail with my gmail account to get the link, which seems odd, but there it is. Thanks for the tip.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???

Me too. Seems they're having an issue with the trial notification on webmail.

stujmac26

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
Me too. Seems they're having an issue with the trial notification on webmail.

yep - didn't work for me on Gmail or Outlook in the office. :apple: Mail on my iMac displayed it as if I was a fool for not seeing it in the first place.

Weird! :eek:

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I'm seriously considering switching to LR. While I prefer Aperture's workflow, it's just a resource hog and it seems that things like X-rite's Passport support LR out of the box- so unless they were simply waiting for Aperture3 to be released to announce support, I'm probably going to jump ship when LR3 hits the streets.

I'm in the same boat, although I'm unfamiliar with X-rite's Passport and should probably have a look at that thread you started about it.

My concern is that Aperture is too sluggish and buggy, and it produces output that is a bit grungy (it's especially bad at interpolation). At least that was my experience with version 2. I'll be sorry to dump my organization and editing of some 54,000 photos that I now have in Aperture, but I'm seriously considering a switch to LR. If I keep getting those red "unsupported format" screens in this new version of Aperture, I'll scream...and run as fast as I can to Lightroom.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
64 bit = Happy Aperture User ????

While I love the look and feel of Aperture 2 it is annoyingly slow unless in preview mode. Given that it is now 64-bit I am excited, but we will have to see if it is actually faster. Either way I'll upgrade though for the combination of features that are upgraded make this a very decent upgrade (especially compared to the other "upgrades" that apple puts out there).

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
64 bit = Happy Aperture User ????

While I love the look and feel of Aperture 2 it is annoyingly slow unless in preview mode. Given that it is now 64-bit I am excited, but we will have to see if it is actually faster.

If your sig reflects the computer you're using Aperture on, I'll be surprised if going 64-bit makes a significant difference - the speed issues are probably due to the 9400M graphics (which are a huge step up over the Intel integrated graphics, but still...).

I've used Aperture 2 on a MacBook Pro and on a MacBook Air, both driving the same external display. Things that were speedy on the MBP are a trifle sluggish on the Air. It's still very usable, but the difference is noticable. Note that the MBP and the Air both had the same amount of RAM, and the processor speeds weren't that different.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Without a doubt, I will be upgrading to Aperture 3. There are a ton of great new features...

Bryan

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
i used aperture 2, never liked it, took way too much resources. fell in love with lightroom 2 been using it ever since. Now after comparing the lightroom beta 3 and current aperture 3. I might make the jump to aperture 3 now. the software is much well built, no lag, and much less resource hogging. LR3 doesnt seem to offer much. however i'll miss certain filters and presets i made from that program. but its time for aperture 3 now. :)

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
just don't have the money right now :(

i think im going to try and get the trial, then see from there. ugh, money sucks.

Galarina

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
I just found that too, I'm going to give the free version a try. Also there's this one which has a free version as well:

http://gpslogapp.com/

The problem with most of the other apps is that they want to use a data connection all the time while running, which is no use for my travelling.

The problem with all of them of course is that they have to be running all the time and you can't let the iPhone sleep, or they stop logging. If only Apple would allow multitasking... maybe I'll have to stick with the GiSTEQ PhotoTrackr Lite. I believe it can export GPX which Aperture should be able to import directly and match up the photo times. The GiSTEQ software is horrible so this would be a big step forward anyway :)

My GeoLogTag iPhone app is an all-in-one geotagging solution for Mac users. Besides logging your location it also geotags your photos over WiFi.
It doesn't require a data connection so it's great for travelling.
You can try out the almost fully functional free version (the logged locations are automatically deleted after 2 hours instead of 90 days).

I already did some testing with the Aperture 3 Trial and photos geotagged by GeoLogTag show up in Places automatically.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm in the same boat, although I'm unfamiliar with X-rite's Passport and should probably have a look at that thread you started about it.

My concern is that Aperture is too sluggish and buggy, and it produces output that is a bit grungy (it's especially bad at interpolation). At least that was my experience with version 2. I'll be sorry to dump my organization and editing of some 54,000 photos that I now have in Aperture, but I'm seriously considering a switch to LR. If I keep getting those red "unsupported format" screens in this new version of Aperture, I'll scream...and run as fast as I can to Lightroom.

You should check the webinar in that thread out.

I only really use Aperture for organization/cataloging, but I'm thinking it's time to download the LR3 beta and give it a run. I suppose I'll try the Aperture 3 beta too- but at this point Apple's underwhelmed me so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.