Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
I didn't want to start a new thread on this so I'll ask on this ongoing one. I have Aperture 2 is there any advantage to buying the full Aperture 3 or is the upgrade fine?
The upgrade version is exactly the same as the full price version, except it either requires Aperture 2 to be installed, or asks you for an Aperture 2 serial number as well as the Aperture 3 one if it isn't installed. I upgraded mine with Aperture 2 installed and it just replaced it and then converted the existing library.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
One thing I noticed about moving from 2 to 3 which wasn't great is if you have any devices set up in iTunes which sync photos from Aperture projects or folders, they get unselected, and you have to set them up again. I had about 30 projects/folders ticked out of 100+ total to sync to Apple TV. After the upgrade, iTunes settings for Apple TV had changed to not sync any photos, and I had to go and select all the ones I wanted to sync again. Of course it then deleted them on Apple TV on the next sync and resent them, even though they hadn't actually changed. That was 15GB of network traffic that wasn't strictly necessary.

Other than that, so far the upgrade has been overall very positive. On the downside, it's crashed on me twice in about 20 hours use, and I'm not convinced it's any faster than 2 was - it seems about the same to me (2.93 UMBP with 4GB RAM).

There are a lot of really good things though. The new full screen functionality is great. The Places stuff is awesome if you have geotagged photos. I have been geotagging for two years even though up until now I had no way of making use of it - now it's all come to life. I imported some GPS tracks too and it's neat to be able to see those on the map as well as the pins marking where you took pictures. And the whole adjustment preset thing is superb - and you can even apply a preset when importing which is one less step afterwards. Now you can export as library, merge libraries and sync libraries I'm wondering about getting a Mac Pro as well. I haven't even got on to a lot of the new things like brushes etc yet. Overall, well worth the upgrade cost for me.

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Beachball party!

I just upgraded a couple of hours to A3. The installation was a breeze and it took about 7 minutes to import and sort 4,000+ pics. That was the good part, using A3 is slow. Not "snappy" on my Imac 24", 2GB, and 2.4ghz Intel 2 core duo. Maybe I need for it to settle.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
everyone who has experienced "slow" issues with aperture 3 are you using Snow Leopard? or another OS? Just curious how much the 64 bit makes a difference?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have not upgraded to Aperture 3 yet, but definitely am planning to do....once the dust settles a little. I've read about various problems and issues and so decided that I can continue with Aperture 2 for another little while, maybe even until the first software update patch for Aperture 3. I've used Aperture since it was first debuted and have no intention of switching out now. As for "Faces and Places," I will immediately disable those the minute I can in the installation process, as I am not interested in those features at all. For my style of post-processing Aperture has been just great and I'm looking forward to trying out the new features!

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Aaaaannnnd

it crashed.:mad: I have a tl;dr crash report. An excerpt:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 23

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Upgraded from 2 to 3 last night. Took about an hour to import my old library, and then I went to bed! I'll have to sit down and have a play this evening...

mrtrilby

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
Me. I started the upgrade at the weekend, and my AP3 CD turned up in the post today which makes it official. There are a few rough edges that I've spotted, but nothing that gets in the way of my work. Some of the new features are just too good to wait for.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
everyone who has experienced "slow" issues with aperture 3 are you using Snow Leopard? or another OS? Just curious how much the 64 bit makes a difference?

It was a little slow right after I started and it is a resource hog but I just had to restart my computer and reset the memory useage (I have 4GB so no slouch) and it works well now. Overall, very very much worth the upgrade (I mean curves, 64-bit, multiple libraries, and local editing functions are HUGE feature upgrades, not to mention all the little niceties like the new metadata screen and faces/places which while I initially thought were gimmicky are actually pretty cool.) The nice thing about faces is that I have all my old negatives scanned in (thousands of them!) and now that I have cataloged all the faces I can see a person age by their face over the last 25 years in the faces screen. That to me is simply amazing.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
It was a little slow right after I started and it is a resource hog but I just had to restart my computer and reset the memory useage (I have 4GB so no slouch) and it works well now.

Totally agree. Creating previews, and then running Face recognition slowed my system right down, but once it had finished processing it was snappy.

macrumormonger

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Turn off faces and places

Because that's what was slowing me down. Faces is slooooowww especially if you have bajillion pics. Once I turned the two things off, the only performance improvement I've noticed is start-up. Adjustments seem slower to load. I have a folder of nothing but HDR and Panorama pics that use to take A2 forever to load, I'm going to see if A3 can handle them better. If not, well you better love the new features they have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.