Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
If you knew a thing about software development, or the herculean effort required to develop and maintain a fast-moving operating system like macOS, you'd know how impossible it is to make it bug-free.

If you cannot create a perfection, then do not price it like it is.

And, that argument is not 100% valid, because macOS have became severely restrictive and limited OS in the past several years. In such limited and closed OS, you would expect to have a greater control over anything that can go wrong.

If you think maintaining the macOS is hard(which is), then what shall we say about the Windows?

Reactions: Mal Blackadder

Guda.FL

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015
It's not crackling, it just had some Taco Bell for dinner last night.

I was about to write something noteworthy about mine doing something similar, but this comment side railed me and all I can do is laugh.

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
It's happening randomly at certain frequencies. Mostly appears in volume controls.

Don't test with this song because it crackles like **** on any sound system since the 90s ;D

That's because there's vinyl "crackle" and "pop" effects in the song. Doesn't take a genius to work that one out.

ColdSugar

Suspended
Aug 8, 2018
It's like---here we go again. I haven't had any problems myself, although perhaps I just jinxed it.
[doublepost=1533771738][/doublepost]
Yeah, that's got to be within a software update.
I could understand the need for multiple software updates if this were a new design or something, but this is the third iteration of this product. You'd think they had it licked by now.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hehe... MBP couldn’t handle those sick beats

Iv'e notice this last small volumes (watching you tube videos, thought it was just this.
does not occur with iTunes but I have iTunes in it's own space and launching upon logon.
Oddly enough this does NOT happen with any content connected to my Apple AV USB-C adapter connected to HDMI and my TV.

Grrrr.

majestice

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2015
This issue also exists with iMac Pro... and it isn't really "crackling speakers" since the problem occurs both on internal and external speakers. It is therefore sound chip problem, most likely with T2. Apple has now had quite a long time to fix it but it hasn't

Reactions: pipis2010

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Iv'e notice this last small volumes (watching you tube videos, thought it was just this.
does not occur with iTunes but I have iTunes in it's own space and launching upon logon.
Oddly enough this does NOT happen with any content connected to my Apple AV USB-C adapter connected to HDMI and my TV.

Grrrr.

The T2 chip handles the DAC audio portion. When you connect an external device through HDMI, the T2 DAC portion is bypassed and the stream is sent as digital audio (PCM or Dolby Digital) to your TV which your TV converts it to analog then amplifies that analog audio to its speakers.
[doublepost=1533775602][/doublepost]Temporary fix IMO is to buy an external USB DAC and send all your audio to that device. Crackling gone until software update

Reactions: DeepIn2U

ScratchSF

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2013
This feels like something that can be solved via software. In two of the videos, the sound was every 10 seconds. In another, they were every five seconds. Perhaps it’s related to a buffer (or something that repeats in the OS) that pulls in a certain amount of data and happens to reload X seconds increments of data at a time.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I had this same audio crackling issue with my new iMac Pro, it would happen on anything...YouTube, iTunes, Internet Radio, etc. I just updated to 10.14 Mojave and the problem seems resolved now. No more crackling! It only really happened under 10.13.6 -- I noticed the problem was not present on my old 2011 iMac. It is a distortion of the audio and it's very annoying. My only recommendation is to update to 10.14 -- nothing else I tried seemed to work!

EDIT: The problem seems tied to the audio feedback volume indicator But toggling it, running it on and off, etc only seems to briefly alleviate the problem. You will notice if you adjust the volume while it is crackling (with the volume feedback indicator turned on), the cracking will go away.

Solution: Update to Mac OS 10.14 Mojave!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.