Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrzz

Suspended
Mar 25, 2017
Hyperbole. All of Apples products are expensive. Point is, I could make the counter argument about other tech products experience issues that cost XYZ and make it a bigger deal than what it is. You don’t need to exacerbate your post by adding “Five seconds of testing”, when you yourself have no idea what kind of testing went into the MacBook Pro.
we all know how apple cares about MBP users last couple of years :) the last release and the way how they did it more than proved that. "iPad is computer", right? :rolleyes: Let's see how much Hype they will try to make with just another regular iPad. It´s so obvious how "huge" effort they have put into latest MBP line :)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Have you heard Jon-Luc Ponty? If not, check him out.

Will check it out, thanks.

set out mb speakers output to 48 kHz and input MB microphone also to 48 kHz

There are more option under 48kHz, as you can see in the screenshot.

Screenshot 2018-08-08 at 21.25.50.png

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
go to midi setup and change from 44 to 48 on both build in output and microphone
Apple, on all the others macs set default the 48 kHz, but some get their 2018 models with 44 kHz by default
Interesting. And why would the sampling rate affect the crackling behavior?

dsampley

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I was having this problem with a 15 tb rMBP. After I formatted and reloaded high Sierra, the crackling problem has not happened again.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Worse and worse.

Current list of issues:
- Throttling in Bootcamp. Yes, Apple’s patch only fixed it on High Sierra and Mojave. No Bootcamp patch yet.
- Speakers Crackling
- Bridge OS Kernel Panic (MacRumor posted an article about it last week and it is still not fixed by Apple)

That’s all within a 30 days time frame. Imagine what could come out later. We don’t even know if the keyboard condom is an actual fix or not.
Expectedly not (the flaky keyboard generation has only started...)

Last edited:

Dr. Scott

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
2018 MBP—starting at only $1799.00... :rolleyes:
This Kool-Aid is starting to taste funny—sans the laughter.

Reactions: nvmls

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
Was about to pull the trigger on a new MBP. How prevalent is this? I need to make presentations to buyers on on my laptop. Crackling/farting audio is not going to help make a sale. Unless I happen to be doing a project about crackling farts. Which I doubt. Although you never know. If it paid.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
How much does Apple need to charge in order to release a decent laptop free of flaws? 5K? 10K?
Seriously, for 2K they can't even deliver a normal product anymore.

Reactions: martyjmclean

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
What’s the price have to do with anything? That’s the nature of tech sometimes, is that there are glitches and bugs, just like it is with the Apple Watch, the iPhone, the iPad, those all have patches that repair intermittent issues, as it’s not perfect.

My cheap ass laptop doesn't have any issue at all. So why is Apple releasing a expensive piece of garbage then?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
How much does Apple need to charge in order to release a decent laptop free of flaws? 5K? 10K?
Seriously, for 2K they can't even deliver a normal product anymore.

No-one except Apple knows how many are affected, might be just a "few", and if that's the case the problem wouldn't show up even with hundreds of test machines.

Last edited:
Reactions: StellarVixen

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
For the price you pay for a Macbook Pro, you want non crackling speakers?
That will be an upgrade...

Never had any crackling issues or any sorts of problems with the speakers on my 2016 15”. They did have the potential to be damaged when installing Windows through Boot Camp until the drivers were upgraded. Must be some sort of bug affecting the new machines.

chri5dub12

Suspended
Apr 18, 2018
The crackling sounds like polite farts, mainly because of the classical music. I was cracking up. This does suck though.

mzeb

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
There’s a concerning trend with the latest MBP series. We are on rev C and they haven’t made a solid model yet. The 2012 retina had a lot of issues but by 2014 stuff was pretty solid. Something to watch I guess...

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
No-one except Apple know the how many are affected, might be just a "few", and if that's the case the problem wouldn't show up even with hundreds of test machines.
Just a few? As in "just a few" have been affected with the faulty keyboards in 2016/2017?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Some of the above comments are not surprising already, as this really is a non-issue, as a software patch *should* be able to repair this problem. But some will make it seem like the 2018 MacBook Pro is a ‘failure’ because of the sound crackling.

And why not? With all these unrelated problems:-

keyboard sticking issue, cpu performance issue all happened on Macbook Pro 2018

GerritB

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2018
Mine had this and together with the BridgeOS error I was getting and coil whine, I had to bring it back. Will wait till all these issues are solved. Judging from the questions and amount of information asked by the Apple support guys that contacted me, they still haven't figured out what is causing these issues. It has priority though considering they called me on a Sunday morning for some more information, so they are working hard on it to solve the issues. Whether you trust them with your money until they do is up to you of course.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
2018 MBP—starting at only $1799.00... :rolleyes:
This Kool-Aid is starting to taste funny—sans the laughter.

It is the same as about $1500 a decade ago. It is not a huge price increase. Besides the 13” base model got a huge performance boost this year so the price is well worth it. My first PC with a Pentium 75 cost that much in 1996. $1799 back then is about $2900 today.

When you factor in yearly OS updates and Apple’s bundled software in the price it is very competitive with Windows notebooks retailing for $500 less unless people are pirating MS Office and Windows upgrades. Even then there is no quality iMovie/GarageBand equivalent bundled with Windows. There is no built in FaceTime and Messages either. Mainstream consumers are ready to go as soon as they first boot up a new Mac. Windows users have to clean a bunch of bloatware and purchase a bunch of software before they can really do anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.