Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have hissing problem with your new iPhone 7

• Yes

Votes: 77 64.2%
  • No

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 11 9.2%

• Total voters

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Reported by Engadget

Some early iPhone 7adopters are getting considerably more than they bargained for. Reports are surfacing of both the regular iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus producing hissing sounds when they're subjected to a heavy processor workload, such as a game. They continue to function, thankfully, but it's a bit disconcerting when most phones are virtually silent. It's not clear what the cause is -- some suspect coil whine or similar electromagnetic effects, but there's no guarantee that this is the case.

The issue doesn't appear for everyone. I tested an iPhone 7 using 3DMark "Ice Storm Extreme," a performance benchmark that puts the processor under serious strain, and heard no hissing at all. That suggests that the noise may stem from a manufacturing issue instead of an inherent design quirk. Not that this will make you feel any better if you're affected, of course.
We've asked Apple for its take on the reports and will let you know if it has something to say. It won't be pretty if you run into this issue and want a replacement iPhone, though. Supplies are already extremely tight, so you may end up waiting days to get a blissfully quiet device.

Do you have this problem? If you do, are you going to get your unit replaced? If this problem is by design, Apple need do recall!

Luckily, I choice to skip iPhone 7! I don't have to deal with no 3.5mm headphone jack, cannot use iPhonw when I have glove and don't need to deal with this problem!

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016
My iPhone 7 has this strange hissing sound when I'm using safari, using procreate, and when I'm maps app with 3D on. It sounds just like this:

anyone else have this problem? Should I return?

sinister184

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2014
So, this is a little nit-picky, but my 7+ is making a tacky sound. At first I thought it was the case or the screen protector so I took them both off (which is why it looks bubbly), but it's the phone. It's most noticeable while holding and putting light upward pressure on the upper left side (which I only noticed because I was using 3D Touch at the top of the display). The phone is otherwise perfect, and I don't think I'll exchange because of it, but it's still a little annoying. Anyone else notice this?

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
I've had that on a previous phone. Sounds like there's a bit of movement between the screen and the body of the phone. Didn't worry me on my last one, but if my 7 does it (when I get one), I'll be taking it back, just in case it in any way compromises the water resistance.

Reactions: Natesac

sinister184

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2014
I've had that on a previous phone. Sounds like there's a bit of movement between the screen and the body of the phone. Didn't worry me on my last one, but if my 7 does it (when I get one), I'll be taking it back, just in case it in any way compromises the water resistance.
That's my only worry about it.

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.imor...e-7-really-making-strange-sound?client=safari

So I say no. I would give it a few days it may go away once the initial load of set up has dissipated. If it still bothers you I'd have it replaced. It's normal, butIt shouldn't be that bad.

Strange indeed my 12.9" pro doesn't have anything like this. I've exported video in iMovie and nothing under load makes this sound. I'm thinking it's due to the thinness design again. Jony Ive's need to be reminded about how to design working products....

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2014
I have the same issue. I noticed yesterday working in the house with no other things on. I was going nuts trying to figure out where the noise was coming from. THen saw the video above checked mine and I have it too. Not sure what I am going to do. If I decide to keep the 7plus then I will go to Apple. Just not sure the move from the 6s Plus to the 7 Plus was worth it.

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
That's my only worry about it.
If you're worried, then I'd say you should speak to Apple. Personally, I would, and IMO, this is one for the more legitimate issues I've seen on here lately :)

If they say it's fine, at least the complaint will be logged, and you'll have more of a case if water ever does get into it.

Reactions: Olivia23

sinister184

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2014
If you're worried, then I'd say you should speak to Apple. Personally, I would, and IMO, this is one for the more legitimate issues I've seen on here lately :)

If they say it's fine, at least the complaint will be logged, and you'll have more of a case if water ever does get into it.
Thanks, maybe I will. Sucks I don't have an Apple Store though. ☹️️

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Thanks, maybe I will. Sucks I don't have an Apple Store though. ☹️️
Well mine makes a noice but if I hold it and give a very very tiny bit of a twist effect!!! And it's from the left corner too but ther glass and case are fused very well no movement

sinister184

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2014
Well mine makes a noice but if I hold it and give a very very tiny bit of a twist effect!!! And it's from the left corner too but ther glass and case are fused very well no movement
That usually does it as well. I don't notice any movement just hear the sound.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The hissing is the audible processing that goes on inside the phone that can be decoded to leak private data and compromise the security of the device. This exploit was published in 2004 by Tel Aviv University and the Weizmann Institute of Science so everyone that knows about it have had over a decade to further perfect it.

Putting on the conspiracy theory hat it could be intentional back door by the NSA to compromise any current and future encryption.

http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~tromer/acoustic/

http://www.tau.ac.il/~tromer/papers/acoustic-20131218.pdf

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.