Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
So I just got my iPhone 7+ last Monday, switched from a Galaxy S7 Edge. Really I love the phone. It does everything I want better than my Android phones did and more. Since I haven't wanted to deal with tech support for a phone I have been pushing all my family to iPhones for the last few years so just about everyone I talk to is on iMessage. The phone has better apps, Castro for example is sublime for podcasts. I already had an iPad so the synergy with that is much better. There are probably many other benefits I'm missing....

Despite all that I really want that stupid new Google Pixel. I am almost positive I just have a case of the "new shinies" and hopefully the urge will go away. There is nothing about the Pixel that I like better than my iPhone except that it would work with my Android Wear (my particular model is affected with a bug that won't allow it to pair with an iPhone 7). Google Assistant looks pretty neat I suppose, although I suspect they will bring that feature to iOS sooner or later. No water-proofing or stereo speakers either which I have grown very used to. Oh I guess the Daydream VR looks pretty neat, the Gear VR's novelty wore off pretty quick though.

Soooooo I guess I need someone to be my tech addiction sponsor! Help me fight this urge! Today is the last day of my Verizon 14 day return policy (phone shipped two weeks ago today) and I'm fighting to let it pass ;).

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
So I just got my iPhone 7+ last Monday, switched from a Galaxy S7 Edge. Really I love the phone. It does everything I want better than my Android phones did and more. Since I haven't wanted to deal with tech support for a phone I have been pushing all my family to iPhones for the last few years so just about everyone I talk to is on iMessage. The phone has better apps, Castro for example is sublime for podcasts. I already had an iPad so the synergy with that is much better. There are probably many other benefits I'm missing....

Despite all that I really want that stupid new Google Pixel. I am almost positive I just have a case of the "new shinies" and hopefully the urge will go away. There is nothing about the Pixel that I like better than my iPhone except that it would work with my Android Wear (my particular model is affected with a bug that won't allow it to pair with an iPhone 7). Google Assistant looks pretty neat I suppose, although I suspect they will bring that feature to iOS sooner or later. No water-proofing or stereo speakers either which I have grown very used to. Oh I guess the Daydream VR looks pretty neat, the Gear VR's novelty wore off pretty quick though.

Soooooo I guess I need someone to be my tech addiction sponsor! Help me fight this urge! Today is the last day of my Verizon 14 day return policy (phone shipped two weeks ago today) and I'm fighting to let it pass ;).

I actually think it looks like a step down from the Nexus 6P. You could probably find a Nexus 6P for cheaper running the same software and then keep your iPhone 7+ and just use the 6P as your toy on the side.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
If I was going with Android I would get a Nexus 5X. It looks really sleek, and it's great value.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
That price. I don't know what Google is thinking but charging 700 to 1000 depending on model and not even have IP67 or 68 is flat out comical. Plus the Verizon model will have a locked bootloader. Just shaking my head. Agree with the other poster and I would find a cheap 6P on Swappa.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
If I was going with Android I would get a Nexus 5X. It looks really sleek, and it's great value.

As a previous owner of the 5X.....don't get it. Battery life is awful on it. Form factor rocked however and I loved the phone, but the battery life was like owning a 6S with a bad battery and iOS10 battery drain haha. It was that bad IMHO. Get the 6P OP and keep your iP7. Best of both worlds and I've figured out I go back and forth way too much to be swapping phones all the time so I keep both OS's around when I get bored.

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Get it.

Try it.

Don't like it?

Get another iPhone.

Freedom of choice is great.

Sadly on Verizon you only get one swap so I'd be stuck with the Pixel

That price. I don't know what Google is thinking but charging 700 to 1000 depending on model and not even have IP67 or 68 is flat out comical. Plus the Verizon model will have a locked bootloader. Just shaking my head. Agree with the other poster and I would find a cheap 6P on Swappa.

The bootloader isn't a big deal to me. If I did get this phone it would be to use Google's version of Android.

Anyways this is just the kind of thing I need to hear though. The lack of water proofing despite the price is a big one for me, almost more on principal than anything.

Reactions: got556

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
i think they are ugly but I have only seen pictures, I have no idea what the features are though. I am simply to deep in apples ecosystem to leave now anyway.
[doublepost=1475768209][/doublepost]

probably because only like 3% of the things they create are a success.

Edit: though those things are super crazy successful haha

Reactions: csmith1289

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Sadly on Verizon you only get one swap so I'd be stuck with the Pixel

The bootloader isn't a big deal to me. If I did get this phone it would be to use Google's version of Android.

Anyways this is just the kind of thing I need to hear though. The lack of water proofing despite the price is a big one for me, almost more on principal than anything.

Return. Don't swap or exchange.

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
i think they are ugly but I have only seen pictures, I have no idea what the features are though. I am simply to deep in apples ecosystem to leave now anyway.
[doublepost=1475768209][/doublepost]

probably because only like 3% of the things they create are a success.

Edit: though those things are super crazy successful haha

Yeah this is a super good point. Just look at how supported the onHub has been, the stupid USB port STILL hasn't been activated.

As far as looks they look like an iPhone with a glass square on the back to me.

i like how apple finally makes a water resistant phone and people are all "How could you ever buy a non-water resistant phone!!" as if you wouldn't have bought the 7 if it wasn't IP67.

To be fair I decided water proofing was essential when I got my S7. I actually probably wouldn't have bought the iPhone 7 if it hadn't been water resistant.

Which of course makes me a hypocrite for wanting the Pixel now

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
And it's not like the pixel can't get wet. You can still subject it to some moisture like rain, splashing etc. in light amounts without anything happening. We lived with this for years so the Pixel being IP53 isn't a deal breaker to me. The IP67/68 is more like a nice to have than a must have.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
i like how apple finally makes a water resistant phone and people are all "How could you ever buy a non-water resistant phone!!" as if you wouldn't have bought the 7 if it wasn't IP67.
I think the point is, you get more for your dollar if you buy an iPhone 7 than compared to the Pixel since the two are so close in price. With the iPhone 7, you gain a processor that blows every other smartphone out of the water, even the pixel, plus waterproofing, plus stereo speakers, blah, blah, blah. Why spend the same amount on a Pixel when you could get more features by buying an iPhone? That's the way I see it, anyway, but then again, I'll never use Android so I'm probably biased.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
Another thing....Android Nougat is glitchy as **** on my 6P. That includes multiple factory data resets. I finally decided to root and rom it as leaving it stock, I was having no luck. It would reboot every so often, but not before freezing. Also battery life went to crap on the 6P after updating to 7.0.

I say all this and still stand by the fact that the 6P is a damn good phone and a killer bargain for what you can get it for now (price wise). I just don't think Android 7.0 is all that polished and has a lot of kinks that still need worked out. Marshmallow is so much better on the 6P.

The other issue I have with the Pixel is that Google is still saying only two years of support. This is what draws me to Apple quite a bit. I have a 5S running iOS 10.....a 4 year old device running current software with no issues.

Every year Google tries to become more and more like Apple, but they just aren't there. If you can't tell, Google and I have a love/hate relationship. :p The Pixel's look good for the most part, but I seriously have reservations on the price, for what you're getting. I mean you could get two 5X's and two 6P's for the price of one Pixel XL... :p

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
The Pixel is really there for Google Assistant. If you're not looking to really use it, then there are better alternatives out there. With that said however, we finally have a Google branded product with full consumer centric support from Google. I can't wait to see how the market evolves.

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
That wedge....eek. They got rid of the camera bump by making it fatter on the top. Not a fan of the design at all.... the weird tough circle on the back.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Only you know what you want and only you can decide.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with the Pixels as such, they are decent phones. But if we're honest, they're nothing special and if you wanted to get rid of your iPhone and go to Android, there are much better phones out there than the Pixels to choose from.

Reactions: eyeseeyou
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.