Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nitrocosis

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
I felt the same. I watched the announcement live and got really hyped. I've been looking at news about it ever since it was announced.
What I did was use my iPhone caseless for a couple of days lol. It reminded me what a beautiful and premium device this was.
I've always been an android user though, and my decision to get an iPhone was really just lack of options (I only want the most high end devices from reputable brands) after my note 7 was recalled, and I didn't feel like waiting for a replacement (seeing as no one knew when that was going to happen, at the time).
Just think about the flaws of the Pixel:
1) A lot of wasted space at the bottom. Could have been used for dual front facing stereo speakers. Just looks odd, as it is.
2) Android and optimization...
3) Just a prediction, the battery might not be as stable with this new 15 min 7 hours charging. You may be forced to replace the battery quite quickly. Also, in my experience, android doesn't have the same battery life as an iPhone. It tends to drain quicker.
4) No home button. Always found that annoying on phones.
5) Fingerprint reader in the back. Odd placement, always felt unnatural to me (husband has a nexus 6P).

You'll need to think about what your list will be :)

But if you can't find any deal breakers, then maybe you should give it a try and potentially return it and get another iPhone.

The blue one looks good, though I'd probably get the very silver if I was getting one of these.

Reactions: 5105973

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
So I just got my iPhone 7+ last Monday, switched from a Galaxy S7 Edge. Really I love the phone. It does everything I want better than my Android phones did and more. Since I haven't wanted to deal with tech support for a phone I have been pushing all my family to iPhones for the last few years so just about everyone I talk to is on iMessage. The phone has better apps, Castro for example is sublime for podcasts. I already had an iPad so the synergy with that is much better. There are probably many other benefits I'm missing....

Despite all that I really want that stupid new Google Pixel. I am almost positive I just have a case of the "new shinies" and hopefully the urge will go away. There is nothing about the Pixel that I like better than my iPhone except that it would work with my Android Wear (my particular model is affected with a bug that won't allow it to pair with an iPhone 7). Google Assistant looks pretty neat I suppose, although I suspect they will bring that feature to iOS sooner or later. No water-proofing or stereo speakers either which I have grown very used to. Oh I guess the Daydream VR looks pretty neat, the Gear VR's novelty wore off pretty quick though.

Soooooo I guess I need someone to be my tech addiction sponsor! Help me fight this urge! Today is the last day of my Verizon 14 day return policy (phone shipped two weeks ago today) and I'm fighting to let it pass ;).

It'll be too late but I'd wait for Pixel reviews before I jump on it... honestly it looks lackluster to me... a very cool device but too expensive for what is offered. Nothing on paper looks better than the 7/7 Plus even the design is uninspired and too bulky for me, I skipped the 7 Plus this gen for a 4.7" 7 because I don't want a giant footprint of a phone again and an Android phone that is the same size doesn't appeal to me.

The Note 7 was the closest device to get to jump back to Android but of course they're time bombs now. The only "appeal" to me is the VR aspect of the Pixel but I have a Sony VR on order and even the super camera bundle is $150 cheaper than the cheapest Pixel phone.

nitrocosis

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
Google Assistant is a core part of Android 7.1 and it slaps any of Apple's attempt into last year.
Saying that, it too much money for an Android device.
I disagree. Samsung devices are really expensive as well, and those seem to be the most popular choice for android users. The pixel just adds more options for people who wish to use higher quality android devices. Ever since Sony went mid level, the choice has really only been Samsung. Now you can choose between Pixel and Samsung, at the very least.

Reactions: csmith1289

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
Here's another way to think about it. Prior to the Pixel announcement, if a wealthy family member was looking for a smartphone that worked well, was polished and had great customer support - really the only choice was the iPhone. Even with all the Android choices out there, none of them really did those things well. Samsung Galaxy phones focused on features, which drove sales, but I think we can all agree they weren't really polished experiences, although they're getting better.

Pixel is the answer to that question, it's the best of Google, by Google, with a fairly scary AI thrown in.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
Google Assistant is a core part of Android 7.1 and it slaps any of Apple's attempt into last year.
Also slaps us Nexus users in the face. 7.1 will be available "before the end of the year" according to Google on the 6P and 5X and 6. It's BS b/c Nougat roms can easily run on the N4 and N5. Google doesn't know what it wants to do from one month to the next. Sad really.

If I get a Pixel phone it will be when they are discounted (which will be soon) or buy used on Swappa for half the price.

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA

It's actually not. Google Assistant is exclusive to Pixel phones, won't even be in the Nexus devices.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
I disagree. Samsung devices are really expensive as well, and those seem to be the most popular choice for android users. The pixel just adds more options for people who wish to use higher quality android devices. Ever since Sony went mid level, the choice has really only been Samsung. Now you can choose between Pixel and Samsung, at the very least.

Samsung learned a thing or two from Apple about marketing. Google, has no marketing, AT ALL. Furthermore, only putting YOUR OWN PHONE in one carrier store exclusively while disregarding a large portion of your base that are on GSM carriers is so monumentally stupid. And while Samsung has made leaps and bounds at improving Touchwiz, it's still a mess. They should just implement full on Tizen at this point and divorce from Google/Android.

ETA: Yes I know you can purchase the phone online from Google, but getting display models in people's hands isn't some new found concept. It works. People want to feel the quality and see it before plopping down close to $1000 for a device that will be disregarded in 1 to 2 years. And don't even get me started on the Verizon Pixel's having a locked bootloader.

Apple wins b/c they tell the carriers to pound sand. Google bending over for Verizon is laughable. More so are Pixel updates on Verizon phones going to come from Verizon or Google? Yes you can fastboot install updates, but how many are going to want to do that? Especially for monthly security updates. I'm just all over the place with these Pixel phones and my feelings towards them. :p

Reactions: BeeGood

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Wait 3 months Google will be giving the Pixel away free if you sign up for a month of Project Fi.

This is exactly what I was thinking. This really does remind me of a higher-end version of the Amazon fire phone.

I just can't be sure if Google is really serious about hardware or not. And if they are, why it's taken so long to start competing with Apple and take some control over android.

csmith1289

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2014
The old shiny new android urge... Happened to me a couple times and each time I regret it.

This^^ Every. Single. Time. (Including Note 7 that I thought would be amazing but was freezing and lagging within 3 days of purchase) ... Happily using my 7 plus:)

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
It's actually not. Google Assistant is exclusive to Pixel phones, won't even be in the Nexus devices.

Well that's not true. Right now having access to the assistant by holding the home button is exclusive to the pixel phones but I would be SHOCKED if the assistant doesn't also come to other Androids and iOS as an app later. Also we can all use it right now by downloading Allo and the assistant will also be in Google Home.

Samsung learned a thing or two from Apple about marketing. Google, has no marketing, AT ALL. Furthermore, only putting YOUR OWN PHONE in one carrier store exclusively while disregarding a large portion of your base that are on GSM carriers is so monumentally stupid. And while Samsung has made leaps and bounds at improving Touchwiz, it's still a mess. They should just implement full on Tizen at this point and divorce from Google/Android.

ETA: Yes I know you can purchase the phone online from Google, but getting display models in people's hands isn't some new found concept. It works. People want to feel the quality and see it before plopping down close to $1000 for a device that will be disregarded in 1 to 2 years. And don't even get me started on the Verizon Pixel's having a locked bootloader.

Apple wins b/c they tell the carriers to pound sand. Google bending over for Verizon is laughable. More so are Pixel updates on Verizon phones going to come from Verizon or Google? Yes you can fastboot install updates, but how many are going to want to do that? Especially for monthly security updates. I'm just all over the place with these Pixel phones and my feelings towards them. :p

Actually Google is going all out with advertising this time. Full page USA Today ads, network tv ads, bill boards, etc... I honestly hope it works out well for them as there needs to be more competition. At this point it is basically Apple vs. Samsung with LG just barely holding on. Apple vs. Google vs. Samsung would be much better.

As far as being exclusive to Verizon as far as retail: I think this is what they had to do. Google doesn't exactly have great relationships with carriers and they NEED the extra support from having it pushed by the carrier. I'm sure they had to go exclusive in order to get that and Verizon is the biggest in the US. If you go to Verizon's web site the Pixels are pushed as hard as the iPhones were. I imagine next year's Pixel will be in all the major carrier stores...........unless Google gets bored with the Pixels and re-releases the Nexus line or something ;)
[doublepost=1475774420][/doublepost]
This is exactly what I was thinking. This really does remind me of a higher-end version of the Amazon fire phone.

I just can't be sure if Google is really serious about hardware or not. And if they are, why it's taken so long to start competing with Apple and take some control over android.

That's a very good question. I can never get a good read on Google and their decisions. Maybe it was naivety and they thought they could rely on phone manufacturers?

It's also a major step and will almost certainly alienate the other phone companies. Keep in mind that if Google really wants to push these phones they will have to keep exclusive features for them. Once that starts happening what is to keep them from dropping support for non-Pixel Android phones all together? If this phone gets popular what benefit does Google really get from allowing Samsung to compete with them? I really can't wait to see how this plays out over the coming years......

Unless, like I and others keep saying, Google gets bored and drops the idea within the year ;)

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
Well that's not true. Right now having access to the assistant by holding the home button is exclusive to the pixel phones but I would be SHOCKED if the assistant doesn't also come to other Androids and iOS as an app later. Also we can all use it right now by downloading Allo and the assistant will also be in Google Home.

But that's the thing, you gets bits and pieces but not the whole pie like with the Pixel. Pixel 7.1 will not be the same as 7.1 for Nexus. Pixel launcher will not be available on non-Pixel devices. Yes it'll be available in Allo and other parts of Android, but the integration in Pixel is, at least for now, going to be only for Pixel

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
But that's the thing, you gets bits and pieces but not the whole pie like with the Pixel. Pixel 7.1 will not be the same as 7.1 for Nexus. Pixel launcher will not be available on non-Pixel devices. Yes it'll be available in Allo and other parts of Android, but the integration in Pixel is, at least for now, going to be only for Pixel

I'm just saying it will PROBABLY come to everything. Due to it's nature, being a learning AI, they should want it to be used as much as possible so it can improve. Keeping it exclusive to the Pixels seems self defeating in that regard.

The Pixel Launcher will almost certainly remain exclusive to the Pixels. I imagine Google Now will end up being transitioned to the Assistant sooner or later.

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
I'm just saying it will PROBABLY come to everything. Due to it's nature, being a learning AI, they should want it to be used as much as possible so it can improve. Keeping it exclusive to the Pixels seems self defeating in that regard.

The Pixel Launcher will almost certainly remain exclusive to the Pixels. I imagine Google Now will end up being transitioned to the Assistant sooner or later.

Agree on that point. What's on my mind is, what are they going to do with it. For example, they tout how it learns your preferences and makes intelligent suggestions. Well, know what Google does best, there's at a certain level a factor of being able to influence the success of a business. I mean, if Google constantly recommends a particular restaurant, it's almost guaranteed success. Will they use this to drive revenue?

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Agree on that point. What's on my mind is, what are they going to do with it. For example, they tout how it learns your preferences and makes intelligent suggestions. Well, know what Google does best, there's at a certain level a factor of being able to influence the success of a business. I mean, if Google constantly recommends a particular restaurant, it's almost guaranteed success. Will they use this to drive revenue?

Hmmm I don't see any evidence of this occurring though. Obviously they COULD do this, just saying I don't think they do or will. To be fair Apple could do this as well. Neither company has any reason to though and have reasons not to

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
So I just got my iPhone 7+ last Monday, switched from a Galaxy S7 Edge. Really I love the phone. It does everything I want better than my Android phones did and more. Since I haven't wanted to deal with tech support for a phone I have been pushing all my family to iPhones for the last few years so just about everyone I talk to is on iMessage. The phone has better apps, Castro for example is sublime for podcasts. I already had an iPad so the synergy with that is much better. There are probably many other benefits I'm missing....

Despite all that I really want that stupid new Google Pixel. I am almost positive I just have a case of the "new shinies" and hopefully the urge will go away. There is nothing about the Pixel that I like better than my iPhone except that it would work with my Android Wear (my particular model is affected with a bug that won't allow it to pair with an iPhone 7). Google Assistant looks pretty neat I suppose, although I suspect they will bring that feature to iOS sooner or later. No water-proofing or stereo speakers either which I have grown very used to. Oh I guess the Daydream VR looks pretty neat, the Gear VR's novelty wore off pretty quick though.

Soooooo I guess I need someone to be my tech addiction sponsor! Help me fight this urge! Today is the last day of my Verizon 14 day return policy (phone shipped two weeks ago today) and I'm fighting to let it pass ;).

Just wait a month and get it for 2/3 the price on swappa.

Reactions: got556

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I won't judge the Pixel until I can use it. I just can't conform to Android software. It's. I thing personal against the Pixel.

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
Hard to judge a phone that hasn't been fully reviewed.

The price is high IMO when they have some pretty good $400 alternatives like the OnePlusThree and Huawei 8.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I actually think it looks like a step down from the Nexus 6P. You could probably find a Nexus 6P for cheaper running the same software and then keep your iPhone 7+ and just use the 6P as your toy on the side.

Pixel will get software the Nexus won't.

Reactions: got556

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Whatever the haters say, it's sold out for 6-7 weeks. The Android enthusiasts will all get it but it remains to be seen if the common folk take to it.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
It will be a niche phone just like Nexus devices until they figure out their marketing strategy and where they want to go as a mobile company. You would think that the king of collecting consumer info would have marketing figured out by now...
[doublepost=1475777670][/doublepost]
Unless, like I and others keep saying, Google gets bored and drops the idea within the year ;)

That's where I'm putting my money lol. If history is to be an indicator. How about that Chrome Pixel? :p
[doublepost=1475777775][/doublepost]I have 3 upgrades (and VZW unlimited data on two lines). Used one upgrade for the 7+. Debating whether to use one on the Pixel. Gonna wait and see if the bootloader can be unlocked though. I know jcase is saying it can't, but until the phones are in the hands of the devs, we don't truly know.

ronincse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Whatever the haters say, it's sold out for 6-7 weeks. The Android enthusiasts will all get it but it remains to be seen if the common folk take to it.

Sold out 6-7 weeks on the Google store, it's still listed as delivering by 10/20 from Verizon for all models even the blue one. Ya know on that note I find it really strange that the blue is only available in the 32gb option, you would think it would only be an option for 128gb if anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.