Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I think people's frustrations are warranted and mainly about missed opportunities.

1) They worked with HTC, so how did they decide to rule out front firing dual speakers? Instead, they decided to follow the iPhone's large and blank bezels. Poor decision. They should have engineered it to at least fill that space up with dual speakers. HTC themselves pioneered the boom speakers; talk about a missed opportunity.

2) And waterproofing. My preferences aside, this was a huge missed opportunity in terms of marketing. Samsung and Apple -- the two biggest players -- have waterproof phones. Do you know how marketable such a feature is especially now that the two smartphone giants have it? I have no doubt sales, in the long run, would be better if they had waterproofing. Not only is it a very marketable feature, it's a very useful and reliable feature, too. Another missed opportunity and poor strategic decision, if you ask me.

Even if they had nailed just these two points, I'd wager you'd have many people here singing a very different tune about the device and price.

EDIT: I feel I should add, I've preordered one for my father. I'll get hands on first before he takes it over and can make a decision for myself, too, if I want one. It may end up serving as my device until the S8.

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I've been tempted by the Pixel.

Just bought myself an iPhone 7 Plus which I really really like.
I've not used an iPhone now for around a year, been using Android and then a Note 7 (with a bit of Lumia thrown in!).
After not being on iOS for a while, I am loving having a phone that connects to my car like it should with proper album artwork showing. The wallet app with all my shop passes and loyalty cards and Apple Pay!
Plus finally a decent iPhone camera.

However, I do like the look of this Pixel. When it was announced I wasn't particularly blown away but as I've read more into it, I'm tempted. But the price doesn't thrill me too much.
Don't even know why I want it haha. But then that's what a tech addiction does to you. :p

Reactions: 5105973

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I gotta say again, the lack of waterproofing is a misstep of epic proportions -- and one that, I believe, will directly affect sales. And it's the one thing that I can't shake. I'm ready for a Google phone. Nougat looks exceptional to use (it really impressed me when I had a real go at it on a 5X recently). And I'm coming to terms with trading in the advantages that Samsung has for the advantages that Google has; like I said, I'm ready for a Google phone.

But the lack of waterproofing is such a tarnish; it's a near dealbreaker. I'll know more when I test run my father's Pixel when it arrives.

Sigh, Google.

Alch3mist

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Right behind you.
I am curious to know how many people have lost phones to Water damage. Ever? in the last 5 years? I haven't ever but also the statistics don't lie. So throw some numbers at me.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I am curious to know how many people have lost phones to Water damage. Ever? in the last 5 years? I haven't ever but also the statistics don't lie. So throw some numbers at me.
I've had a cell phone since 1993 I've never lost one to water damage nor have I dropped and broken one.

Reactions: Alch3mist

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I love my Pixel I just wish Allo, Duo and Messenger were all one app, the hell are you doing Google...

Yep. Why isn't hangouts and messenger essentially integrated into Allo is just mind boggling. Indeed as you point out why aren't Allo & Duo essentially 1 app also with option for SMS / data messaging / video messaging all brought together.

Google does need to tidy this up IMO.

Reactions: burgman

Fried_Gold

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Yep. Why isn't hangouts and messenger essentially integrated into Allo is just mind boggling. Indeed as you point out why aren't Allo & Duo essentially 1 app also with option for SMS / data messaging / video messaging all brought together.

Google does need to tidy this up IMO.

It just makes no sense to have so many separate apps when it could easily be one or two, Apple have managed it with iMessage/FaceTime, it's hard work getting older family members to download them all and remember what they are for lol.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Google is a mess with their apps. Messager, Hangouts, Allo, and Duo all installed on a new device. I can't believe someone hasn't been fired over this yet. It's worse than Samsung including multiple apps that all do the same thing.

Alch3mist

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Right behind you.
I've had a cell phone since 1993 I've never lost one to water damage nor have I dropped and broken one.
Hell, I break them all the time but I have never lost one to water damage. Not even on 8-12 mile runs; When I get done the phone feels like its been through a rainstorm. I do remind myself each time that I better stop doing that but I have not lost it to water damage. Maybe, people just want the ability to text while playing in the ocean or take underwater shots. I think by end of next year every serious phone would need to be waterproof but today its not a deal breaker for me.....but >600 quid...on second thoughts :)

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Hell, I break them all the time but I have never lost one to water damage. Not even on 8-12 mile runs; When I get done the phone feels like its been through a rainstorm. I do remind myself each time that I better stop doing that but I have not lost it to water damage. Maybe, people just want the ability to text while playing in the ocean or take underwater shots. I think by end of next year every serious phone would need to be waterproof but today its not a deal breaker for me.....but >600 quid...on second thoughts :)

Yeah, and unless a phone manufacturer actually claims the phone is waterproof and will stand behind replacing it if there's water damage, there's no way I'm taking my $800 device and taking it under water in the pool.

The only issue I have with my Pixel XL compared to my iPhone 7+ is confidence that an accidental spill won't damage the phone. But overall I've been of the opinion that waterproofing is overrated in its current form.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
The only issue I have with my Pixel XL compared to my iPhone 7+ is confidence that an accidental spill won't damage the phone. But overall I've been of the opinion that waterproofing is overrated in its current form.
I see where you're coming from. Would you consider buying the Google device protection? I think it's only available if you order from the Google store, but I believe that it covers anything and everything for two years.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Google is a mess with their apps. Messager, Hangouts, Allo, and Duo all installed on a new device. I can't believe someone hasn't been fired over this yet. It's worse than Samsung including multiple apps that all do the same thing.
I guess for me having multiple messaging apps isn't as big of a deal. On an iPhone I was using Messages, WhatsApp and Hangouts. On a Pixel I'm using Google Messenger, WhatsApp and Hangouts.

That said, I don't know why Google needs to have so many different messaging apps. I don't know anybody who uses Allo or Duo. WhatsApp can provide the same functionality in one app.

I am hoping that when RCS is more supported, that maybe we can get a standard messaging experience across all platforms but who knows if Apple will support RCS in their default message app.

Alch3mist

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Right behind you.
I guess for me having multiple messaging apps isn't as big of a deal. On an iPhone I was using Messages, WhatsApp and Hangouts. On a Pixel I'm using Google Messenger, WhatsApp and Hangouts.

That said, I don't know why Google needs to have so many different messaging apps. I don't know anybody who uses Allo or Duo. WhatsApp can provide the same functionality in one app.

I am hoping that when RCS is more supported, that maybe we can get a standard messaging experience across all platforms but who knows if Apple will support RCS in their default message app.
Is WhatsApp available for IOS (Iphone)?

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
It just makes no sense to have so many separate apps when it could easily be one or two, Apple have managed it with iMessage/FaceTime, it's hard work getting older family members to download them all and remember what they are for lol.
From Google's perspective, all it wants is data with the app being the delivery system. A worldview with so many devices and country restrictions, it makes perfect sense. World domination :)

Fried_Gold

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom

Every single person in my contacts uses Whatsapp and it's probably 80% iPhone users, it seems more popular than iMessage/whatever else. Not sure if this is just people I know or a UK thing or what.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
So I just got my iPhone 7+ last Monday, switched from a Galaxy S7 Edge. Really I love the phone. It does everything I want better than my Android phones did and more. Since I haven't wanted to deal with tech support for a phone I have been pushing all my family to iPhones for the last few years so just about everyone I talk to is on iMessage. The phone has better apps, Castro for example is sublime for podcasts. I already had an iPad so the synergy with that is much better. There are probably many other benefits I'm missing....

Despite all that I really want that stupid new Google Pixel. I am almost positive I just have a case of the "new shinies" and hopefully the urge will go away. There is nothing about the Pixel that I like better than my iPhone except that it would work with my Android Wear (my particular model is affected with a bug that won't allow it to pair with an iPhone 7). Google Assistant looks pretty neat I suppose, although I suspect they will bring that feature to iOS sooner or later. No water-proofing or stereo speakers either which I have grown very used to. Oh I guess the Daydream VR looks pretty neat, the Gear VR's novelty wore off pretty quick though.

Soooooo I guess I need someone to be my tech addiction sponsor! Help me fight this urge! Today is the last day of my Verizon 14 day return policy (phone shipped two weeks ago today) and I'm fighting to let it pass ;).

Go on do it...the new Pixels will get the first updates and they have the best cameras apparently, I have never used one myself.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's a Europe thing
iMessage from my own experience is far more common here in Ireland and indeed standard SMS (as all networks offer unlimited texts) is vastly more popular than WhatsApp. I would think Facebook Messenger is also more popular here followed by SnapChat & WhatsApp.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
iMessage from my own experience is far more common here in Ireland and indeed standard SMS (as all networks offer unlimited texts) is vastly more popular than WhatsApp. I would think Facebook Messenger is also more popular here followed by SnapChat & WhatsApp.

Honestly I don't know anyone that doesn't use Whatsapp heck even stores have Whatsapp for advertising the same as G+ FB and the like.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Honestly I don't know anyone that doesn't use Whatsapp heck even stores have Whatsapp for advertising the same as G+ FB and the like.

Yeah so its very different country to country, region to region, and possibly even 'county to county'... Either way, it doesn't mean we need Google to provide us with 4 apps roughly doing similar tasks. Allo was meant to be their universal app, "the one ring to rule them all" as it were, and yet Allo & Duo just are confusing in what they actually offer and 'do' as they don't replace messenger or hangouts.

Our best hope is they turn Allo into a universal hub for messaging so you can read all your messages from all the different apps and reply to them in one, but this still seems a long way off.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Yeah so its very different country to country, region to region, and possibly even 'county to county'... Either way, it doesn't mean we need Google to provide us with 4 apps roughly doing similar tasks. Allo was meant to be their universal app, "the one ring to rule them all" as it were, and yet Allo & Duo just are confusing in what they actually offer and 'do' as they don't replace messenger or hangouts.

Our best hope is they turn Allo into a universal hub for messaging so you can read all your messages from all the different apps and reply to them in one, but this still seems a long way off.

Google just needs to stop making messaging apps it's a waste of their engineers time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.