Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sonos this week released a major redesign for the Sonos app, introducing customizable home screen meant to deliver a personalized listening experience. The update was announced back in April, but just went live, and unfortunately, it removes a number of features while also introducing several bugs.

sonos-redesigned-app.jpg

Multiple complaints on social media have called the app a "step back" with missing features like editing a song queue, managing playlists, shuffling a music library, and setting alarms and timers, along with slow performance and hard-to-access system controls. There has also been feedback from users about missing accessibility features.

The Verge asked Sonos about the negative feedback, and in response, Sonos said that it's aware of the complaints, but "it takes courage" to rebuild a core product.
Redesigning the Sonos app is an ambitious undertaking that represents just how seriously we are committed to invention and re-invention. It takes courage to rebuild a brand's core product from the ground up, and to do so knowing it may require taking a few steps back to ultimately leap into the future.

The app's revitalization not only aims to address what customers have been asking us for in the short-term, but is also critical for supporting the exciting innovations to come from Sonos in the years ahead.

We realize there are beloved features our listeners are eager to continue enjoying now. We are working diligently to reintroduce them in the coming months, alongside additional enhancements that will make for an even better app experience.

This is just the beginning of an exciting new chapter for Sonos as we continue to expand the way listeners can access and enjoy all the content they love in a more personalized and seamless way. We have always and will continue to listen to customer feedback so we can create sound experiences that well exceed both our standards and the standards of our listeners.
Sonos said that it is working to address the missing features "in the coming months," and the update will ultimately lead to "exciting innovations" in the years to come. There is no way for iOS customers who have already upgraded their apps to go back to the prior version, though users are calling for Sonos to roll back the update until the new app is more fully fleshed out.

Article Link: Sonos Said Rolling Out Widely Criticized App Redesign Took 'Courage'

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
So why push the release if they have not had the time to implement basic functions? What were they thinking? The users are gonna live the half baked app and are surely fine waiting for all the core functions? Why not just finish the damn app and release it when it’s done??

troc

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2006
The Netherlands
The new app is barely functional. What irks me the most is that it was pushed to us without any warning. What irks me even more is the email I received yesterday telling me all about the awesome new app experience I was about to enjoy.

Also, the new app sucks. In case anyone hasn’t noticed.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Their App should be able to control Apple Music, and Spotify, and have an AI that acts like a DJ. With hype man capabilities, hooting out relevant stuff between songs, making that "wamp wamp wamp" sound too. And have a camera in the speakers that detects if someone knew just walked into the house and the DJ welcomes them to the party. And when you're sitting quietly in your home with the music off, the AI DJ should pester you to get the party get started.

yayarod

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2018
Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA
What all the critics seem not to consider is that SONOS is a relatively small company that allways will be tight on budget.
The products don't have a premium price that would allow for higher margins.
The best proof is that after three years since the introduction of Apple Silicon Macs, the macOS SONOS app is still Intel only.
The SONOS app for iOS/iPadOS required a refresh. Maybe they released the software too early.
Yes, there are a lot of missing features, but one added feature I don't remember it was available previously.
With a web browser at play.sonos.com, the system can be controlled from anywhere.

digitalhome

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2014
Oh, this app is garbage. Just changing the volume across speakers takes multiple steps, Youtube Music interface is garbage, still can't get rid of the Sonos Radio option. Very frustrating. Small company size is not an excuse for putting out a lousy app when there was a perfectly good one already

c84216

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2006
So why push the release if they have not had the time to implement basic functions? What were they thinking? The users are gonna live the half baked app and are surely fine waiting for all the core functions? Why not just finish the damn app and release it when it’s done??
App was behind schedule but it needed to roll out to support new products that are on schedule or have already been delayed. Mass rollout couldn’t wait until new product lines were live so people could learn the app and that no major bugs cropped up when run at scale.

That’s my best guess.

jbjohn942

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
Translation: They need the new app in order to start selling the headphones. If they roll back the app, they can't release the headphones. They can do what they did with the S1 app and have the old app as a separate one. What I don't get is they beta test the hell out of point releases. Why wasn't the new app beta tested for months? I'm guessing because it was very rushed.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Perfect, textbook example of everything that is wrong with software development today. Why was re-invention necessary? Why do they have to "re-introduce beloved features in the coming months?" What was so important that they had to launch a half baked app right now?

Management metrics and corporate culture at it again. The people actually making the software have no say, the users who have to deal with it have no say (other than to stop using the company's products.) Management tunnel vision.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I like it. The old app looked dated. Guess that's controversial 🤷‍♀️

The problem is that making something look different for the sake of looking different is nowhere near as important as maintaining basic functionality and eliminating bugs. Modern software development priorities are ass-backwards.

If someone renovated your kitchen would you like it because they put up new wallpaper...but the floors will be back some time Q1 2025.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Perfect, textbook example of everything that is wrong with software development today. Why was re-invention necessary? Why do they have to "re-introduce beloved features in the coming months?" What was so important that they had to launch a half baked app right now?

Management metrics and corporate culture at it again. The people actually making the software have no say, the users who have to deal with it have no say (other than to stop using the company's products.) Management tunnel vision.
At least the spreadsheets, the metrics and quarterly lookedgood 🤔😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.