Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synctek

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2023
UPDATE:

I was able to re-format the drive and change the partition table to "Apple Partition Map". After a deploying the image, I was able to find the 2nd drive in startup and reboot into Sorbet. **I used Carbon Copy to deploy the image**

Thanks for the responses!!
Special thanks to Amethyst1.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
Anyone know how to connect older versions of Mac OS X to newer macOS 11+ via file sharing? Apple removed the ability to share folders and file over AFP in macOS 11, and the SMB versions aren't compatible between 11+ and 10.5. I Installed MacPorts and SMB3 on Sorbet Leopard, but it looks like that's only letting me setup Sorbet Leopard as the SMB server, not client. I could install SMB3 on my Monterey machine, but I'd have to program all the shared in the terminal, which not only looks daunting, but may affect the ability for newer Macs to connect to the Monterey machine.

Thanks in advance!

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
ssh/ftp ?
Not sure if that's in response to me question, but SSH works via the terminal, and Apple removed FTP in a previous version of macOS. I could look to see if there's a good FTP server app that the OS X can access within the folder. I'll report back on that one.

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Anyone know how to connect older versions of Mac OS X to newer macOS 11+ via file sharing? Apple removed the ability to share folders and file over AFP in macOS 11, and the SMB versions aren't compatible between 11+ and 10.5. I Installed MacPorts and SMB3 on Sorbet Leopard, but it looks like that's only letting me setup Sorbet Leopard as the SMB server, not client. I could install SMB3 on my Monterey machine, but I'd have to program all the shared in the terminal, which not only looks daunting, but may affect the ability for newer Macs to connect to the Monterey machine.

Thanks in advance!
QuickFTP Server (AppStore...) on the server side, and commandline or GUI something (Fetch still around? Transmission?) on the client side.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Apologies for the daft question (I havn't read the 49 previous pages....😳)
I was trying to install Sorbet onto my G4, with 3 partitions on a flash drive.

All partitions are set to Macos Extended.
I don't see an option to set as Apple Partition Map, I assume this is standard for PowerPC....?

Looking at the MG download, can this be restored with SuperDuper also (longtime user).

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Do I install as any other MacOS installation by just running the .dmg installer?
No. You restore the dmg to a partition using Carbon Copy Cloner and boot from that partition. The dmg contains a full bootable installation. I don’t know if SuperDuper! also works, CCC is recommended IIRC.

All partitions are set to Macos Extended.
I don't see an option to format into Apple Partition Map.....?
If the drive has been used in a PPC Mac, it’s probably using APM already. To check select the drive in Disk Utility and look at the bottom of the window. If it says “GUID Partition Table” (GPT), that’s no good.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkC426

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Got it installed without a hitch, thanks @Amethyst1.
I did a restore from Disk Utility, which worked fine.
InterWebPPC seems much faster than in Leopard....:p

3F4CEFE2-753D-4FA2-BFD9-F6B27254AD20.jpeg

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Imagine if this had been released back in the day..would have been the Rolls Royce of OSs.

oops...showing my age, me thinks!!
Ok..kinda like taking a standard car and making it into a flash muscle car...wot ever!!

Dilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
Has anybody tried the tiger modified version SHAURIKEN on your PPc. Any difference with Sorbet Leopard.

ediflorianus

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
Imagine if this had been released back in the day..would have been the Rolls Royce of OSs.

oops...showing my age, me thinks!!
Ok..kinda like taking a standard car and making it into a flash muscle car...wot ever!!
my G5 is Rolls Royce of pc's , it's runing along fine since l8te 2003...

Dilli ... i did not try , I am in spring-machintosh and trying to fix a macbookpro, but I will try on older g3/g4 ibook where 10.5.9 not an option.​

Reactions: Dilli

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Has anybody tried the tiger modified version SHAURIKEN on your PPc. Any difference with Sorbet Leopard.
Shuriken..? I recently popped that on my iBook. Have Sorbet as well...but Shuriken is like having a new toy (some how??) Been thinking of trying it on my intel 17inch iMac...but have DVD drive issues to get around.

Wanna try Shuriken on the iBook for running EyeTv and for off line stuff...games and graphics on a light weight system. And booting into linux for going online.
..least thats the plan.

Reactions: Dilli

pc297

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
A final Snow Leopard for PPC would have been the Rolls-Royce of OSes. :p
It certainly would have and we all know that they most certainly could have released it; I would be willing to bet that besides 10A96 and 10A190, that there is an internal PPC build equivalent to if not 10A432 itself altogether locked in a drawer somewhere at Cupertino. The sad truth is that PPC users were properly shafted by Apple, in that it has been almost three years since the Apple Silicon transition was announced and there were still Intel Mac Minis being produced and sold up until a couple of months ago, let alone the Mac Pro that is still being made which means still a few years of Intel versions of macOS. We PPC folks had just four years between WWDC 2005 and 10A432!

MacPro2006VBox

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
It certainly would have and we all know that they most certainly could have released it; I would be willing to bet that besides 10A96 and 10A190, that there is an internal PPC build equivalent to if not 10A432 itself altogether locked in a drawer somewhere at Cupertino. The sad truth is that PPC users were properly shafted by Apple, in that it has been almost three years since the Apple Silicon transition was announced and there were still Intel Mac Minis being produced and sold up until a couple of months ago, let alone the Mac Pro that is still being made which means still a few years of Intel versions of macOS. We PPC folks had just four years between WWDC 2005 and 10A432!

Especially those who bought the last generation of G5s

ryan_

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2020
Palo Alto, CA
Hey friends, I have a 2002 Quicksilver G4 PowerMac and only have OS9 installed. I have an empty partition. Is it possible to install Sorbet Leopard from within OS9 onto that partition?

Reactions: AdamBuker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.