Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Explanation required :).
kangaroo.gif

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2022
I am trying to copy files from a USB to my desktop and it says I am out to storage. I am not, I have about 80gb left. They are PDF files, so not that big. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Also thanks @z970 for disabling Spotlight by default:)

Last edited:

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2022
Are your date and time settings correct?
Didn't check but my pram battery is dead and I have too new of a router to connect to an old mac (that means I can't get time online) so it might have set back to 1969. But why would that effect copying things?

aurora72

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Türkiye
I've noticed that Sorbet Leopard has got a Revision 1.5 since the last time I looked at it. Are there any notable changes coming with that so-called Revision 1.5? I'm using the version 9L31a which I downloaded last year December, I don't know its Revision number.

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
I've noticed that Sorbet Leopard has got a Revision 1.5 since the last time I looked at it. Are there any notable changes coming with that so-called Revision 1.5? I'm using the version 9L31a which I downloaded last year December, I don't know its Revision number.
9L31a is Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8, so any version of ‘Sorbet’ will also be 9L31a.

There is a changelog, I believe, detailing any additional tweak scripts or pre-bundled themes added per revision.

Was the app store included in the version you have installed currently? That’s something that has actually been created uniquely for this project - that and everything else can manually be copied over if you desire without a need for wiping your existing partition.

All can be moved over to an existing 10.5.8 install as well if one was inclined. I don’t use Sorbet personally as i find it less optimal in terms of speed and functionality than my own tweaked 10.5.8 using the collective and collaborative tips and knowledge gathered from the generous users of this forum over the years.

It is nice to see interest generated for these machines via this project however, even if end users are often mis-informed to believe that it has anything to do with Snow Leopard or the SLPPC project.

As a pre-made tweaked 10.5.8 bundled with optimisation scripts, documentation and community made themes it is a nice entry point for novice users who don’t have the knowledge or inclination to tinker themselves.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
All can be moved over to an existing 10.5.8 install as well if one was inclined. I don’t use Sorbet personally as i find it less optimal in terms of speed and functionality than my own tweaked 10.5.8 using the collective and collaborative tips and knowledge gathered from the generous users of this forum over the years.

Are you able to elaborate about your own particular tweaks please? I'd definitely like to know the details if you've been able to obtain even better results. :)

Reactions: Amethyst1

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
Are you able to elaborate about your own particular tweaks please? I'd definitely like to know the details if you've been able to obtain even better results. :)
Nothing unique and I’d feel bad if I were to hijack this thread, but if you peruse the powerpc wikis you’ll find most if not all tweaks collected and carefully collated by the community over the years. I may share what i’ve done personally at some point in a separate thread, but at present I don’t have enough free time to play with my machines and when I do find time again, I plan to continue working on SLPPC. I am tempted to build a PowerPC optimised 10.5.8 kernel at some point but that will have to wait for the moment.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
There is a changelog, I believe, detailing any additional tweak scripts or pre-bundled themes added per revision.
It's in the second download on Sorbet's page on the Garden.

It is nice to see interest generated for these machines via this project however, even if end users are often mis-informed to believe that it has anything to do with Snow Leopard or the SLPPC project.
That's just my $0.02, but misinformation often does more harm than good. Sorbet should™ clearly distance itself from Snow Leopard.

It's in the second download on Sorbet's page on the Garden.

That's just my $0.02, but misinformation often does more harm than good. Sorbet should™ clearly distance itself from Snow Leopard.

If Sorbet Leopard is sponging any community work to emerge from the SL-PPC project or community-shared Leopard optimizations without giving express attribution (or intimating it’s in any way adjacent to, say, Snow Leopard), wouldn’t this make it, uh, ABsorbeNt Leopard? 🤔

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Nothing unique and I’d feel bad if I were to hijack this thread, but if you peruse the powerpc wikis you’ll find most if not all tweaks collected and carefully collated by the community over the years.

Fair enough, I'll have a look. :)

I may share what i’ve done personally at some point in a separate thread, but at present I don’t have enough free time to play with my machines and when I do find time again, I plan to continue working on SLPPC.

We all do what we can, when we can because Real-Life Syndrome™ takes priority.

I am tempted to build a PowerPC optimised 10.5.8 kernel at some point but that will have to wait for the moment.

This sounds really exciting and such a development would be well worth the wait.

That's just my $0.02, but misinformation often does more harm than good.

I'm in total agreement on a personal and professional level.

If Sorbet Leopard is sponging any community work to emerge from the SL-PPC project without giving attribution (or intimating it’s in any way adjacent to Snow Leopard), wouldn’t this make it, uh, ABsorbeNt Leopard? 🤔

Careful, you know how touchy people are about these projects... ;)

aurora72

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Türkiye
9L31a is Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8, so any version of ‘Sorbet’ will also be 9L31a.

Was the app store included in the version you have installed currently? That’s something that has actually been created uniquely for this project - that and everything else can manually be copied over if you desire without a need for wiping your existing partition.

As a pre-made tweaked 10.5.8 bundled with optimisation scripts, documentation and community made themes it is a nice entry point for novice users who don’t have the knowledge or inclination to tinker themselves.
Thank you for the comment.
I 've stated that 9L31a for the lack of a Revision number. My Sorbet Leopard was released in December 2021, whatever Revision number it is. It could be Revision 1.4. It works so perfectly on my Mac mini G4 1.5Ghz, that I wouldn't update to that Revision 1.5, really.

However, the app store looks real cool. I think it's the first time I see it. Can it be downloaded separately, so that I can use it on my Revision 1.4 w.o. having to update the whole OS?

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Thank you for the comment.
I 've stated that 9L31a for the lack of a Revision number. My Sorbet Leopard was released in December 2021, whatever Revision number it is. It could be Revision 1.4. It works so perfectly on my Mac mini G4 1.5Ghz, that I wouldn't update to that Revision 1.5, really.

However, the app store looks real cool. I think it's the first time I see it. Can it be downloaded separately, so that I can use it on my Revision 1.4 w.o. having to update the whole OS?
Download link 4- Sorbet Plus. The app store is in there. https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/sorbet-leopard

Reactions: ChrisCharman

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I used to get wound up by folk on social media promoting Sorbet as the sole project that has dragged PPC Macs out of a wilderness of obsolescence, from a functional void that has made them useless for nearly a decade.

But after the blizzard of fanboy rage from any non obsequious analysis I provided, I realised that most of these were new users that after installing and making a #metoo post would likely move on to the next new thing anyhow.

Sorbet has captured a few new genuine enthusiasts which has got them digging deeper and finding their own path - in that respect, it's been a good thing.

Last edited:

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
If Sorbet Leopard is sponging any community work to emerge from the SL-PPC project or community-shared Leopard optimizations without giving express attribution (or intimating it’s in any way adjacent to, say, Snow Leopard), wouldn’t this make it, uh, ABsorbeNt Leopard? 🤔
I’m fairly certain most, if not all, credits are presented within the documentation, just not necessarily broadcast in the hyperbolic marketing machine.

Reactions: B S Magnet

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
Had a recent craving to play around with PowerPC again and came across this. Could never get Leopard installed on my PBG4 as the Leopard installer would never see the SSD, but Tiger did so Tiger it was. With how this installs though this made my beloved PBG4 finally able to update! OS Runs great, only complaint I guess I would have is that the App Store could be better (names of the apps instead of just icons to refresh my memory!), but a small complaint.

Good Work!

Reactions: Dilli and ww2_1943

Dilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
Sorbet Leopard is the best for PowerBooks. :)
Anyone has a link to where I can buy the replacement battery for the Powerbook G4 17". 👍 So far using with the adapter on AC Power only.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.