Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Don't forget to install the patch for the Rage 128 card.

My biggest complaint with Sorbet on my G4 Pismo is artifacting of the cursor. Other than that, seems to work just fine.
Yeah I had the patch manually installed on there on vanilla Leopard from a few years ago.

It still artifacts on Sorbet. But overall its a little better than it was.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
Finally getting around to putting this on some of my Macs. Did my 1GHz TiBook yesterday. Now doing my G4 Pismo. Hopefully Sorbet will run better on this thing than vanilla 10.5.8

I do most stuff over my network now, so it’s cloning the image from my NAS using a gigabit Ethernet card. Still slow but it isn’t too bad!
View attachment 2102634 View attachment 2102635
I did a bunch of testing on my 550 G4 Pismo, Sorbet is definitely better than vanilla Leopard. I think it ran a little better than Tiger in some cases (I can't quite remember).

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
Don't forget to install the patch for the Rage 128 card.

My biggest complaint with Sorbet on my G4 Pismo is artifacting of the cursor. Other than that, seems to work just fine.
Can you post a photo or video? My Pismo doesn't have this problem, I wonder if it's a corruption in the Sorbet clone you have on it.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
I did a bunch of testing on my 550 G4 Pismo, Sorbet is definitely better than vanilla Leopard. I think it ran a little better than Tiger in some cases (I can't quite remember).
Geekbench scores between Tiger and Leopard on my G4 Pismo were just a couple of points different. Tiger still feels faster/smoother overall.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Can you post a photo or video? My Pismo doesn't have this problem, I wonder if it's a corruption in the Sorbet clone you have on it.
I don’t have one handy but others have reported the same thing. I don’t think the image is the issue. It happened with the current version of Sorbet and the previous one.

I have two G4 Pismo’s and the issue happened on both. It’s not always consistent.

hopfenholz

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2021
Just done a fresh install of Sorbet R15 from the Garden and everything is working fine bar Spotlight - nothing happens when I press cmd-space, even though that is how it's set up in System Preferences. Any clues?

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Just done a fresh install of Sorbet R15 from the Garden and everything is working fine bar Spotlight - nothing happens when I press cmd-space, even though that is how it's set up in System Preferences. Any clues?
You have to enable it. Go to Utilities and then Sorbet tools. I don’t remember which subfolder you have to go to but if you look around you’ll find the script to enable Spotlight.

hopfenholz

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2021
Thank you, that worked perfectly. Another quick one: I tried the Mountain Lion appearance theme, reassured by the presence of the Uninstaller right there in the folder. I updated the appearance to Mountain Lion, realised that I preferred Leopard, and tried to run the Uninstaller. this fails with a Javascript error and the installer closes.

After restart, Mail, Preview, and many many other applications now show a no-entry sign ...

Can anyone help or am I back to reinstalling Sorbet? Hope not, as I've installed a ton of apps that I don't want to lose

Many thanks in advance

Joel

Reactions: ww2_1943

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Thank you, that worked perfectly. Another quick one: I tried the Mountain Lion appearance theme, reassured by the presence of the Uninstaller right there in the folder. I updated the appearance to Mountain Lion, realised that I preferred Leopard, and tried to run the Uninstaller. this fails with a Javascript error and the installer closes.

After restart, Mail, Preview, and many many other applications now show a no-entry sign ...

Can anyone help or am I back to reinstalling Sorbet? Hope not, as I've installed a ton of apps that I don't want to lose

Many thanks in advance

Joel
I know that some themes aren’t reversible. I’m not sure if Mountain Lion is one of them. That is why I haven’t messed with it.

Reactions: hopfenholz

hopfenholz

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2021
Well it seems to have borked the whole OS. Nothing works not even Terminal. So unless anyone else has any brilliant ideas I’ll have to back up the music I’ve ripped, reinstall and reinstall all the apps. Lesson is to use Time Machine I guess but maybe even that wouldn’t work.

And steer clear of the mountain lion appearance theme

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: TheShortTimer

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Well it seems to have borked the whole OS. Nothing works not even Terminal. So unless anyone else has any brilliant ideas I’ll have to back up the music I’ve ripped, reinstall and reinstall all the apps. Lesson is to use Time Machine I guess but maybe even that wouldn’t work.

And steer clear of the mountain lion appearance theme
You might have some luck either booting into single user mode (hold cmd-s at boot time) and then mount the root dir to start manually repairing your file system.

Or... from the Finder, go to  > Log Out <Your Name>, then at the login screen enter username ">console" (without quotes) and no pass to login to OSX's full-screen CLI with all services running.

You might be able to dig into the Mountain Lion appearance theme package receipt bom (bill of materials) for a list of files modified by the installer.

Such as:
Code:
lsbom /Library/Receipts/MountainLionTheme.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom | less
(replace the "MountainLionTheme.pkg" with whatever the package name is)

This will output a list of files which you could try restoring from the Sorbet installation .dmg. In the ">console" mode you can mount a disk image using "hdiutil attach path/to/SorbetLeopard.dmg". The reported output will advise where the mount point is (such as "/Volumes/SorbetLeopard" or similar).

Restore a bunch of resources listed from the lsbom output ("sudo cp source destination"), then log back into the GUI (with "exit") and try re-running those Cocoa apps (like Terminal, TextEdit, etc) that were failing.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

hopfenholz

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2021
Thanks guys. Way too complex for me, I will back up the data and restore a fresh image, and re-install my apps. Hopefully at least I can warn others not to install the ML appearance (which looks worse anyway)

Reactions: AphoticD

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
All good. You mentioned Terminal and technical ideas to resolve the issue started coming through. Definitely worth reporting the issue to the dev though. Do they have a feedback/bug report system?

On another topic (possibly for a more senior forum member), can I ask why the developer (z970) is no longer active on MR? I must have missed something there.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
On another topic (possibly for a more senior forum member), can I ask why the developer (z970) is no longer active on MR? I must have missed something there.
He was fed up of the critique on here - with me in particular. Shame really, I value what he does but I sometimes can't help but respond to his intolerant Reddit fan boys.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
He was fed up of the critique on here - with me in particular. Shame really, I value what he does but I sometimes can't help but respond to his intolerant Reddit fan boys.
@Dronecatcher the forum is a level playing ground IMO. If something works, then, great. If a solution is too buggy or complicated, or being over-sold as the next best thing, then others aren't shy about pointing it out. I know a few here who have been on the pointy-end (present company included), but a thick skin goes a long way as a developer or an I.T problem-solver in general. We genuinely can't please everybody and there is always more than one way to skin a cat!

(why is that even a saying?) o_O

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
@Dronecatcher the forum is a level playing ground IMO. If something works, then, great. If a solution is too buggy or complicated, or being over-sold as the next best thing, then others aren't shy about pointing it out. I know a few here who have been on the pointy-end (present company included), but a thick skin goes a long way as a developer or an I.T problem-solver in general. We genuinely can't please everybody and there is always more than one way to skin a cat!

(why is that even a saying?) o_O
Well I hope he does return to a more active role on here - any grievance I've had is certainly not a personal one - and that goes for anyone I've ever disagreed with :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.