Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richardallan

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2021
It's a G4 Digital Audio Dual 533 with a Radeon 8500. I'm just mucking around putting an SSD in it. I have a Dual 1.25 MDD also but a cable got stuck in the fan & it over heated & won't start up now. I might pull the processor out & try to reseat it which someone recommended. I think the power supply is ok. If I can't get it running with minimal effort I'll just get rid of it...

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
It's a G4 Digital Audio Dual 533 with a Radeon 8500. I'm just mucking around putting an SSD in it. I have a Dual 1.25 MDD also but a cable got stuck in the fan & it over heated & won't start up now. I might pull the processor out & try to reseat it which someone recommended. I think the power supply is ok. If I can't get it running with minimal effort I'll just get rid of it...
I'd be interested to know how a dual 533 fares online, youtube etc.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Sr.Freson

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2022
Just an update about my strange issues.

I had the chance to verify that they also took place in Leopard, so not a Sorbet Leopard related issue.

After several tests, ram modules tests, kernel panics errors (each one more serious than the previous one) , it looks like after having the ssd formatted (using target disk mode) everything works properly again. Even , for a while, I thought thay my mac was fried, because it could not even boot.

To be honest, I'm 100% lost about what happened, because I don't expect that kernel panics (related to cpu, ram, etc) could be solved with a simple ssd format, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for a long time , without knowing what to expect.

In addition, as it currently works perfect (or at least it seems so) , I'm going to leave it with the current 1,25gb ram installed, and don't even try it with 2gb (what it had when all that mess started). If it works, don't touch anything :)

Last edited:
Reactions: lepidotós

hopfenholz

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2021
Hi all, I've just set up my PowerMac G5 dualie and looking to do some choice upgrades on it. Firstly the OS (it's running Leopard) - I see there is this Sorbet Leopard which looks awesome, but have also seen reference to a 10.5.9 - is this the same thing or a different 'upgraded Leopard' version? And which is best if they are different?

Many thanks in advance

Joel

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Furthermore, certain events have recently occurred where I find myself no longer in a position to develop for the PowerPC platform altogether (sans minor infrequent activity for retro computing in general, primarily related to Web 1.1), effectively making Sorbet Leopard Revision 1.5 my swan song of sorts.

But now it is time to turn the page, as all things must come to an end. Nonetheless, I will say that over these past several years, it was a pleasure creating both software and informative resources for you all. :)

It's been a while, but no new updates on Sorbet Leopard?
z970 is no longer doing this stuff.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Rasenshuriken far more better :D.
Lee Van Cleef says "No."

The Master.gif

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
It was a crazy TV series in the 80s, The Master - played by an ageing Lee Van Cleef as "The only occidental American Ninja" - even at the time it was bad...but good :D

Thanks. I'd never heard of it before and I don't recall ever seeing it on UK TV during the 80s alongside the other countless U.S. imports that bombarded our screens. :)

Reactions: Amethyst1

hopfenholz

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2021
Just dropped a 256GB SSD into my recently-acquired dual G5 and installed Sorbet - so far so good and the SSD gives a nice performance bump.

After years using 'current' kit (although I refuse to move beyond Catalina on my iMac 5K 2020) it's so nice to be back in 'proper' Mac OS X

Can't wait to see what Shuriken brings

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Finally getting around to putting this on some of my Macs. Did my 1GHz TiBook yesterday. Now doing my G4 Pismo. Hopefully Sorbet will run better on this thing than vanilla 10.5.8

I do most stuff over my network now, so it’s cloning the image from my NAS using a gigabit Ethernet card. Still slow but it isn’t too bad!
D46B08B1-D1F7-4F1B-9442-A531CABF68DF.jpeg FF54BC44-818C-4B11-8481-C7DA5147A143.jpeg

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Finally getting around to putting this on some of my Macs. Did my 1GHz TiBook yesterday. Now doing my G4 Pismo. Hopefully Sorbet will run better on this thing than vanilla 10.5.8

I do most stuff over my network now, so it’s cloning the image from my NAS using a gigabit Ethernet card. Still slow but it isn’t too bad!
View attachment 2102634 View attachment 2102635
Don't forget to install the patch for the Rage 128 card.

My biggest complaint with Sorbet on my G4 Pismo is artifacting of the cursor. Other than that, seems to work just fine.

Reactions: Edgecrusherr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.