Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
I mean download and install LWK - it will give you the same functionality as Safari that's now broken
Oh, Leopard Webkit! I use it with Tiger. It seems to have less compatibility than the version of Safari on Sorbet. I think it is because Sorbet's Safari has more recent certificates. I am not 100% certain though

EDIT: It looks like I likely didn't run the scripts! Still, it appears that Sorbet uses newer certificates than LWK.

Last edited:
Reactions: aurora72

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
The same folder the original file is in. Would you like instructions for restoring Sorbet's version?

That’s fine. sudo can remember the password for a few minutes after it’s been typed once.

The steps only replace the library. They don’t do anything else.

Those are a whopping 4.4% higher than the 32-bit ones. :D
Basically the original file is not active? Yes, how do reenable that? I'll save the instructions you sent me to swap files earlier in case I need to switch back.

I figured that must have been the case with the sudo commend

I wasn't sure what to expect with the 64-bit scores, but it does seem a bit underwhelming.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Basically the original file is not active? Yes, how do reenable that?
Fire up Terminal, then run the following three commands, pressing [Enter] after each line:

sudo cp /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.sorbet /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib sudo chown root:wheel /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib

I wonder if it's possible to have both versions of the library coexist (under different names of course!) and then patch Safari to use "its" version while everything else uses the original version.

Reactions: ww2_1943

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Fire up Terminal, then run the following three commands, pressing [Enter] after each line:

sudo cp /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.sorbet /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib sudo chown root:wheel /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib

I wonder if it's possible to have both versions of the library coexist (under different names of course!) and then patch Safari to use "its" version while everything else uses the original version.
If I want to switch, do I just follow the original instructions again?

I was thinking about that too, but don't gave the slightest idea where to start. That is why I tagged @z970 in a post. Idk if he is still working on Sorbet Leopard. I think I read somewhere he is stepping back. Which I can understand. This was a labor of love!

Sr.Freson

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2022
Hi everyone,

I suffer from daily random crashes with Sorbet Leopard at my iMac G4 17" 1.25ghz.

When they take place, the only way to make the iMac to work again is rebooting it by the power button. Mouse gets frozen, keyboard gets frozen, digital clock does not get updated, if I'm listening to some music it gets in an infinite loop, etc.

Although it can be ram related, rember software does not detect any issue so far (at least those times when the test could be completed before another new crash).

I have repaired permissions, the PRAM battery is a new one.... What do you suggest?

PD: I must confess I've not checked if that also happens in Leopard partition, as I do have one but only to reinstall Sorbet Leopard in case of need.

I'm also in the process of downloading the Apple Hardware Test for my model, in order to verify if it gives me any clue.

Kind regards

Sr.Freson

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2022
Is the HDD old? Any clicking noises? Maybe check it with some diagnostic utility (not the built in Disk Utility) - if all appears ok, re-install or go with standard Leopard.

Thanks, but I forgot to mention that a it has a new SSD installed only 1 month ago (when I bought the imac).

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks, but I forgot to mention that a it has a new SSD installed only 1 month ago (when I bought the imac).
Should be good then :)

When I tested it on my 800Mhz G4 iMac it would freeze when the display went to sleep (easily fixed in Energy Saver prefs) so it could be a glitch that doesn't agree with your particular Mac.

If you install standard Leopard you will be able to apply all the modifications manually, step by step.

Sr.Freson

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2022
Should be good then :)

When I tested it on my 800Mhz G4 iMac it would freeze when the display went to sleep (easily fixed in Energy Saver prefs) so it could be a glitch that doesn't agree with your particular Mac.

If you install standard Leopard you will be able to apply all the modifications manually, step by step.
Thanks for your tips :)

I also suffered from the sleep issue but, as you have told, modifying Energy Saver prefs solved it (as well as the IPV6 one).

Regarding the Leopard way, is there any guide to follow in order to apply the modifications , as you mention?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Regarding the Leopard way, is there any guide to follow in order to apply the modifications , as you mention?
You could save all the bash scripts that are saved into categories from Sorbet and apply them in Leopard, follow the development notes in the original post to point to things that have been changed, download and install Leopard WebKit, App Store and the theming utilities if/when you need them.

There's no single game changing performance booster within Sorbet but it offers every available one there is and in aggregate they make a difference and are all done for you and of course you have all the aesthetic goodies there too.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
I would see if the iSight issue happens in standard Leopard. It shouldn't be hard to test since you already have it installed.

You can also check you logs after a crash and post it here. I am sure someone would be able to interpret what happened.

This is an awesome thread with great people

richardallan

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2021
I was just looking at the Sorbet App Store. I was going to download Onyx but should I use the Leopard version or Snow Leopard version?

aurora72

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Türkiye
I suffer from daily random crashes with Sorbet Leopard at my iMac G4 17" 1.25ghz.
I'd suggest scanning RAM, VRAM & HDD/SSD with TechTools Pro. Because you said you did hard-shutdowns, I'd also scan the whole HDD/SSD with SpeedTools too to see if there occured any bad sectors.

I'd also suggest having a Leopard HDD or a Leopard partition next to the S. Leopard partition. I cloned my old Leopard installation into a partition next to the S. Leopard. I use it mainly to migrate software from Leopard to S. Leopard but for your particular case, it might be used to check the hardware too, to see if it works okay on Leopard but not on S. Leopard.

Don't know if iMac G4 1.25 is a PATA/IDE or SATA. Just looked it up, it's PATA/IDE. I don't advice using a PATA/IDE SSD.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.