Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsteemso

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
Hi,if you still have the old 10.5.8, reput that here, and I will edit this post ,today, l8ter with all the optimization I did on mine manually. It's worth the time &effort, I had 4 tb of old data with no intention of formating, and there was no update kit(like 10.5.6 to 10.5.8)so I did 90% of sorbet mods manually.

L.E.
1. Use Disk Utility or Diskwarrior to verify&repair disk permissions(*maybe best done from recovery mode?)
2.Access Macintoshgarden for everything you may need, under the Sorbet link (I just download the Sorbet Plus & supplementary update) - then run them (or after TigerSierraTheme install). it also has sorbetappstore in there.. maybe it's in the R15 DMG , just open that , under apps > find *Sorbet AppStore & Sorbet Tools (that's all you should need from the os.dmg , if you need anything aditional in particular just search the .DMG and copy to current install) I just opened R15.dmg up and run all the stuff I needed from Sorbet Tools (they optimise some functions of your current 10.5.8).
3. Start with TigerSierraTheme or/& LeopardRebirth
4.AuroraSuite & AuroraTrimceleator
5.OnyX 2.0.6
6.PPCAppStore (we need to tell the man to add a few more apps there).
7.Shuriken (should come loaded with a appstore)
8.A Webkit for safari
9.Some browsers TenForFoXPEP & TenForBird7450
10. Restart a few times when you need, and
11.Re Do the permissions verify/repair
-And your' DONE!
and last if you have ATi... ATi Rage Graphics Drivers
12.Xbench to test your rig-before & after. (or in mid-process).
As far as I've been able to tell from skimming a handful of the pages in this thread, most of those are more cosmetic than fundamental; the only one I'm certain involves actual OS-component upgrades is the Safari upgrade, as (as has been mentioned) it requires upgraded library files. I'll take time at some point to diff the Sorbet libraries and such against a stock 10.5.8 install to find out what else was changed, then uncripple them as appropriate. An example: just in passing, I noted that a few parts (but not all) of the Bash install were altered (by memory and possibly wrong, from version 2.3 to version 3.1.4), and I'm honestly puzzled as to why that specific version was chosen. (The current version is 5.2.something, and has a feature that enables a backward-compatibility mode for the stock version while still incorporating vital security fixes.) There are almost certainly other changes that were accidentally incomplete, and at some point I want to dig into what they are.

Reactions: ww2_1943

ediflorianus

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
As far as I've been able to tell from skimming a handful of the pages in this thread, most of those are more cosmetic than fundamental; the only one I'm certain involves actual OS-component upgrades is the Safari upgrade, as (as has been mentioned) it requires upgraded library files. I'll take time at some point to diff the Sorbet libraries and such against a stock 10.5.8 install to find out what else was changed, then uncripple them as appropriate. An example: just in passing, I noted that a few parts (but not all) of the Bash install were altered (by memory and possibly wrong, from version 2.3 to version 3.1.4), and I'm honestly puzzled as to why that specific version was chosen. (The current version is 5.2.something, and has a feature that enables a backward-compatibility mode for the stock version while still incorporating vital security fixes.) There are almost certainly other changes that were accidentally incomplete, and at some point I want to dig into what they are.
for safari webkit was installed, it says so on original sorbet link at machintoshgarden

gsteemso

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
for safari webkit was installed, it says so on original sorbet link at machintoshgarden
So I see; but the closest thing to documentation, the Sorbet changelogs, is frustratingly light on details. It's more useful as direction on where to look for the changes than as an actual list of them.

Having investigated further, the Webkit upgrade was something a private individual built (a stunning achievement! I'm awed at the amount of work involved), but he did so only in 32-bit mode. I'm trying to find a way to contact him to ask for a dual-bitness recompile, but it's not looking good.

ediflorianus

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
So I see; but the closest thing to documentation, the Sorbet changelogs, is frustratingly light on details. It's more useful as direction on where to look for the changes than as an actual list of them.

Having investigated further, the Webkit upgrade was something a private individual built (a stunning achievement! I'm awed at the amount of work involved), but he did so only in 32-bit mode. I'm trying to find a way to contact him to ask for a dual-bitness recompile, but it's not looking good.
he's on the forum , if you manage to find him should respond....

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Back in 2022 I mentioned that I'd completely reconditioned a 20" G4 iMac, maxed with 2GB memory & new 120GB SSD and installed Sorbet Leopard and this totally transformed the 'Sunflower'. It was an early version of Sorbet Leopard and InterwebPPC & Aquaweb micro appeared in the dock on initial boot, and functioned correctly.
Today I've just refurbished a 12" 1.25Ghz Powerbook with SSD and installed Sorbet Leopard 1.5. On boot, InterwebPPC & Aquaweb micro are absent, and I'm unable to go on-line. I'm obviously missing something quite obvious but cant figure it out. Some words of wisdom therefore required......
Thanks!

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Back in 2022 I mentioned that I'd completely reconditioned a 20" G4 iMac, maxed with 2GB memory & new 120GB SSD and installed Sorbet Leopard and this totally transformed the 'Sunflower'. It was an early version of Sorbet Leopard and InterwebPPC & Aquaweb micro appeared in the dock on initial boot, and functioned correctly.
Today I've just refurbished a 12" 1.25Ghz Powerbook with SSD and installed Sorbet Leopard 1.5. On boot, InterwebPPC & Aquaweb micro are absent, and I'm unable to go on-line. I'm obviously missing something quite obvious but cant figure it out. Some words of wisdom therefore required......
Thanks!
Did you repair permissions (think there's a script bundled in there?) Remember at start the install will be set up as if it's still on the author's Mac.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Did you repair permissions (think there's a script bundled in there?) Remember at start the install will be set up as if it's still on the author's Mac.
Thanks for rapid reply. Couldn't see a specific bundled script to repair permissions in the Sorbet Tools folder, but did run the 'Periodic Daily' maintenance script.
In Disc Utility I verified Disc Permissions which threw up a hundred or so permissions differ and a number of SUID file warnings. I haven't as yet repaired these disc permisions, and holding off pending any additional advise, perhaps from Z970 himself. Incidently the install was performed on a Transcend PATA/IDE SSD.
When I first installed Sorbet on the G4 iMac with a Crucial SATA SSD, it's not impossible that I downloaded InterwebPPC from the Sorbet App Store but can't recall doing so, and thought that it was part of the original download package and appeared in the dock by default. If so I'm sure Z970 will confirm........or otherwise.

Last edited:

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I haven't as yet repaired these disc permisions, and holding off pending any additional advise, perhaps from Z970 himself.
This is from the installation instructions on macintoshgarden:

"Installation will take anywhere between 10 to 30 minutes depending on your hardware configuration. Once installed, you are then free to reboot into the new system whenever ready. Upon doing so, repair the system disk permissions (accessible via Disk UtilityRepair Disk Permissions) at your earliest convenience as the final step in the setup process."

You might be a long time waiting for advice from z970 - it's well over a year since I've seen him comment anywhere.

naujoks

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
London, UK
I had a working installation of Sorbet Leopard on my G4 Cube.
When I ran the script to enable the HK iSub 2000 speakers, the sound device was gone entirely.
Running the uninstall script didn't bring sound back.
The boot chime has disappeared and the sound device on all other partitiones (OS 9.2, Tiger) has disappeared as well.

How can I get it back?

Doq

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
The volume of the boot chime is tied to the system volume in Mac OS.

If you boot into a not Sorbet installation and adjust the volume you should get the chime back.

SpeakLessPoiMore

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2024
Well I downloaded the dmg from archive.org and when I installed I noticed Simplified Chinese is broken. After checking files I noticed a lot of Simplified Chinese related localization files are missing. I cannot understand why. I mean, every other language, including Traditional Chinese works just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.