Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Space Black or Silver

• Space Black

• Silver

Results are only viewable after voting.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I regret getting space grey for my 16" 2019 but it was the only colour with this spec on the refurb store.
My 12.9 iPad Pro M1 is silver and I think I'll go for silver on my next MacBook. As others say, it's classic Apple.

David1986H

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Cheshire, UK
This is why I stayed with silver as any other colour can easily chip and revile the raw aluminium underneath

Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 21.10.48.png

Reactions: cannono and Stev150

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
I voted silver. I find the Space Black unattractive.

I prefer Space Gray and my last two MacBooks have been that colour but Apple have sadly decided not to offer it with Pro chips. When I upgrade I will be going with a Silver M3 Pro 14", I was tempted by the M3 14" (upgraded to 1TB/16GB) purely to get Space Gray but it is a poor deal as the £200 extra to get the binned M3 Pro (upgraded to 1TB) is much better value.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
I found space black too gimmicky...its just a slightly darker shade of space grey.
Jet Black may be interesting.
I also don't want my device to scream look here's a M3Pro/Max...ripe for getting stolen.
Silver will be just fine, thanks.

Reactions: David1986H

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I found space black too gimmicky...its just a slightly darker shade of space grey.

Look, I get why people are disappointed it's not proper black, but in hand the difference is substantial. Space black is about as different from space gray as space gray is from silver. In low light situations it becomes difficult to see the contrast from the keyboard tray which is true black. Yes proper nomenclature would probably be silver -> gray -> space gray as the term 'space' implies very dark.

Last edited:

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
So clean and modern.

Silver is classic, and I do like it, but it’s so classic that it’s almost retro.

Hmm, Space Gray and especially Space Black are so much more modern.

Folks are forgetting gray and then black were the colors of the PowerPC based PowerBooks. These are the retro schemes.

Then came Titanium because Jobs was lusting after Sony Vaio designs.

Then came aluminum.

The latest version of silver on the MBP M3 is brighter and shinier than ever. It's not the classic grayish silver/alu look. It's close to actual silver jewellery in a bright room.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
Folks are forgetting gray and then black were the colors of the PowerPC based PowerBooks. These are the retro schemes.

Then came Titanium because Jobs was lusting after Sony Vaio designs.

Then came aluminum.

The latest version of silver on the MBP M3 is brighter and shinier than ever. It's not the classic grayish silver/alu look. It's close to actual silver jewellery in a bright room.
That’s true, but the darker colors look more modern.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
So clean and modern.

Silver is classic, and I do like it, but it’s so classic that it’s almost retro.

Hmm, Space Gray and especially Space Black are so much more modern.
I actually feel the exact opposite... The silver not only looks more modern to my eyes, but also MUCH cleaner/sleeker too. Thankfully choosing a device color is nothing more than a personal preference, so my opinion means nothing at the end of the day.🤷🏻

Last edited:

mdhaus72

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2018
I went with Space Black. Silver is OK...but is a bit boring for me. My other big issue with silver is that it is much more visible in the dark, which is a no-no when you're trying to focus on the screen for a movie or video and you don't want to see the rest of the computer if at all possible. My previous Macbooks have been in Space Gray...That color worked fine and I think Space Black will be even better.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
A ceramic MacBook Pro in white would be crazy actually
Crazy heavy! And brittle.

I want raw titanium to match my iPhone, and I want each key cap to also be raw titanium, with the letter or symbol machined into the cap with a dark inset that can illuminate via an LED under each key which allows for zero light bleed around the edges. Then I want the entire thing DLC'd top to bottom, and I want the keyboard area and speakers to be completely sealed to prevent spills from destroying the computer.

Reactions: iappleme

Mr.Fox

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2020
I don't care what color color. They're all the same and boring. I make high quality artistic airbrush. It looks fresh, unusual and very beautiful. And best of all, the paint it's durable, it doesn't rub off.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I surprisingly prefer Silver and Space Gray this year. The Apple logo doesn't pop off of the Space Black like I hoped.
space gray is not really an option?? And to all the comments black looks like Dell, I would say it's the opposite, the silver looks exactly like my HP silver machine! I think people are WAAAAYYYYYY over thinking it... lol

Reactions: kzly

tekksan

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
I went with Space Black. Silver is OK...but is a bit boring for me. My other big issue with silver is that it is much more visible in the dark, which is a no-no when you're trying to focus on the screen for a movie or video and you don't want to see the rest of the computer if at all possible. My previous Macbooks have been in Space Gray...That color worked fine and I think Space Black will be even better.

I have found this to be the nicest factor of the Space Black vs my old Silver 14". The all black really zones you in on the display when using it.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I have found this to be the nicest factor of the Space Black vs my old Silver 14". The all black really zones you in on the display when using it.
it really is just a shade or so darker than Space gray, I wonder if apple will ever bring SG back to the Pros?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.