Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Threbus

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2016
A little refinement for those who need to type more than one number at a time—use a finger to hold down the 123 key. With a different finger, type what numbers you need while still holding the 123 key. When done, release the 123 key and you're back at letters.

AND: If you're typing mostly numbers but need to type letters? Like typing a VIN for an automobile or Apple serial numbers… this works in reverse as well. Hold down the ABC key, once for one letter, or longer for several, release the ABC key and you're back at the numbers.

Pressing and holding the spacebar to move the cursor is good, but you can now (again) press anywhere in your text to get the enlarged bubble with cursor and move it anywhere to place the cursor more precisely.

And, just to remind people that some non-English characters are available by long-pressing on some alphabetic keys, giving access to accents or diacritics such as é or ñ or ç or ü.

mathieuplante

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Now THAT is a great tip . I had English and French (Qwerty) enabled also . I removed the French keyboard and my phone indeed speaks fluent Franglais ! Thank you 🙏🏻
I've been using iOS / iPhone OS since the 3GS. I can't believe I learned this recently by just trying to confirm my suspicion that it basically wouldn't work. And it did.

Reactions: Yptcn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.