Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ganstavoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Ohio / Cali
Hey everyone, I currently shoot a canon 30D with a 70-200/300/400 lens. I am looking to upgrade to a main body and keep my 30D as a backup with my 200 on it and have my 400 on my new main body. The new 7D is a little out of my price range so I am looking for a alternative option for sports photography. Must be canon and better than my 30D. I was looking at the 40Ds & 50Ds I was wondering if the 50D was worth the extra cash from the 40D or if anyone can give me another suggestion that is within my price range. Thanks!
Edit/Delete Message

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Hey everyone, I currently shoot a canon 30D with a 70-200/300/400 lens. I am looking to upgrade to a main body and keep my 30D as a backup with my 200 on it and have my 400 on my new main body. The new 7D is a little out of my price range so I am looking for a alternative option for sports photography. Must be canon and better than my 30D. I was looking at the 40Ds & 50Ds I was wondering if the 50D was worth the extra cash from the 40D or if anyone can give me another suggestion that is within my price range. Thanks!
Edit/Delete Message

The main advantage of the 50D over the 40D is the "micro-adjusting" (calibration) feature of the 50D. Otherwise both are about the same, which gives the upper hand to the 40D price-wise. However, since the 50D is newer than the 40D, there is a better chance for you to find a 50D that has a shutter that hasn't been activated as much as the 40D. But if you can find a 40D that has been used by someone who does not take a lot of pictures, go for it. There isn't much of a step-up from the 40D to the 50D, but from the 30D to the 40D there is quite a big step.

A friend of mine has been using a 30D for quite a lot of years, and let me tell you: this guy can take some amazing photographs with it!

Ganstavoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Ohio / Cali
Yea, that is exactly what I was thinking. Do you have any suggestions on other cameras that are better than a 30D but cost less than a 7D (even if used) remember for sports. Also what would you say is a "average / reasonable" price for a 40 & 50D (slightly used)

I can also get amazing shots with my 30D, but I want a newer upgrade where I can have my canon 400 on the better quality body and my 200 for when action gets closer on my 30D.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I third the advice to save up for the body you secretly really want anyway. Another option would be the rumored successor to the 50D -- but who knows when it will arrive.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
I third the advice to save up for the body you secretly really want anyway. Another option would be the rumored successor to the 50D -- but who knows when it will arrive.
The internet says "soon", so if it were me I would wait a while and see what comes up later this year.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The internet says "soon", so if it were me I would wait a while and see what comes up later this year.
Thing is, the internet has been saying soon for quite a while now (just like with many other products, new Mac Pros, AirBooks and iMacs ;)), so I don't know anything more accurate than soon. Photokina is around the corner, so probably if there is an announcement, I wouldn't be surprised if it were just before or during Photokina.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Thing is, the internet has been saying soon for quite a while now (just like with many other products, new Mac Pros, AirBooks and iMacs ;)), so I don't know anything more accurate than soon. Photokina is around the corner, so probably if there is an announcement, I wouldn't be surprised if it were just before or during Photokina.

My reason for just biting and buying the 7D now is that the 60D is not likely to be better than it (at least in weather sealing, build quality and feel). If it's like the 50D it'll launch at £1200 (UK) and take a month or so to drop. I bought my 7D new for £1010...

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
My reason for just biting and buying the 7D now is that the 60D is not likely to be better than it (at least in weather sealing, build quality and feel). If it's like the 50D it'll launch at £1200 (UK) and take a month or so to drop. I bought my 7D new for £1010...
Nice!
You're right. I'm already curious as to how Canon wants to distinguish a potential 60D from the 7D: it can't very well go back on features that the 40D and 50D have. Plus, it needs to be cheaper :)

Well, let's see what they will do.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
1DII or IIn.

+1

The 1DII or IIN represent fantastic value, given the price for which they can be had on the used market. Pixel density is lower than your 30D, but they are superior in every other way.

If I were looking for a sports camera on a budget, the 1DII would be at the top of my list.

Ganstavoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Ohio / Cali
Thanks! I am really looking toward the 1D mark ii now. I knew the 1D series is the pretty much the top of the eos line but i never realized the mark ii was so cheap right now.

Compared to my 30D say using the same Sigma 70-200 lens on it what are the main advantages of using a 1D mark ii for the main body? What are the difference's I will notice in quality? ect ect? I started to read something about more AF points 9-45 for quicker AF.. Since the MP is about the same in the 30D and the 1D mark ii is there going to be a big quality difference? again please explain ;)

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Thanks! I am really looking toward the 1D mark ii now. I knew the 1D series is the pretty much the top of the eos line but i never realized the mark ii was so cheap right now.

Compared to my 30D say using the same Sigma 70-200 lens on it what are the main advantages of using a 1D mark ii for the main body? What are the difference's I will notice in quality? ect ect? I started to read something about more AF points 9-45 for quicker AF.. Since the MP is about the same in the 30D and the 1D mark ii is there going to be a big quality difference? again please explain ;)

Advantages of the 1DmkII vs. 30D:

1. MUCH better build quality (including water resistance with many L lenses)
2. Built-in grip
3. 8 fps (a must for fast-moving sports)
4. Dual card slots (for increased capacity or redundancy)
5. MUCH better AF system (probably the single biggest difference)
6. Generally more customizable
7. Lower crop factor (which is either good or bad, depending on whether you need more or less "reach")
8. MUCH more responsive shutter (you'll know it as soon as you've used it)
9. Shorter viewfinder blackout times
10. Better battery life (the downside is that the big NiMH battery in the 1D2 makes the body slightly heavier than a gripped 30D).

There may be others I can't think of at the moment. High ISO noise is about the same, maybe very slightly better on the 1D2 due to the lower pixel density, but both are good at ISO1600 (and the1D2 is fine at ISO3200 if the exposure is good). The 1-series cameras tend to retain more detail at high ISOs than the XXD-series cameras, even if noise is equivalent, so you get a more useable image.

Ganstavoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Ohio / Cali
Thanks, I know a lot of people look at MP and are like oh... this camera has 15.2 compared to the 8.3 or so on a 30D .. so it must give a better image. but I know that is not entirely true which is why I was asking main differences and how i would notice a image quality difference from a 1D mark ii compared to the 30D and that higher FPS is very "sexy" along with the duel card slots.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Thanks, I know a lot of people look at MP and are like oh... this camera has 15.2 compared to the 8.3 or so on a 30D .. so it must give a better image. but I know that is not entirely true which is why I was asking main differences and how i would notice a image quality difference from a 1D mark ii compared to the 30D and that higher FPS is very "sexy" along with the duel card slots.

Strictly speaking, the IQ from the 1D2 and the 30D will be fairly similar. The 1D2 might be a bit nicer, but not markedly so (not as nice as, say, moving from the 30D to a full frame camera like the 1Ds2 or 5D, where the IQ differences are striking).

The benefits of the 1D2 over the 30D are more to do with the performance of the camera; the 1D2 allows you to do many things that the 30D just doesn't (or makes them far easier to do).

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Arent the T2i and 7D pretty similar?

No. The 7D has a massively better focusing system, construction (magnesium alloy body instead of plastic), is weather sealed, has a faster shutter, more than twice the max fps shooting, a massively better viewfinder (100% coverage, pentaprism instead of pentamirror, 1x magnification), and some tarty tricks (like using the rear screen to show a spirit level).

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
the main difference between the 1DII(n) and 30D for action is that the 1D's have much shorter shutter lag and VF blackout, the AF is customizable, and they has a much faster and more accurate AF algorithm. the 45-pt AF deal isn't really that big a deal since most of the time you'll be using something around the center anyway.

fps really isn't that important for action, except for capturing sequences, like a car crashing. what's more important is the short lag and blackout, which makes it easier to catch "the moment," and an AF system that will rarely let you down.

Ganstavoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Ohio / Cali
Thanks big help!!! So I guess my question will be. If you were in my situation and had under a grand to spend for sports the 1Dii and the 1Diin would be the best options for performance and quality compared to my 30D?

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
If you're going to go the used 1 series route definitely take the Mark II N over the Mark II. Small but noticeable differences including a much better LCD.

My work issued cameras that I use day-to-day are the Mark II N. My biggest complaint at this point is the poor performance at ISO above 1600. They still get the job done just fine but I'm really looking forward to getting Mark IVs primarily for the improvements in high ISO which you would also see in a 7D vs. the Mark II N.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Thanks big help!!! So I guess my question will be. If you were in my situation and had under a grand to spend for sports the 1Dii and the 1Diin would be the best options for performance and quality compared to my 30D?

Yep.

I agree that if you can get a 1DIIN, it's the better choice, if only for the improved LCD. But if you find a good deal on a 1DII with a decent shutter count, go for it.

I'm sure you've thought of this, but just remember that your 400mm, which was an effective 640mm on a 30D, will only be a 520mm on the 1DII, and you've got lower pixel density to boot, meaning less cropping. Just FYI; I still think the 1DII is the best bang for your buck here.

Ganstavoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Ohio / Cali
Ok so the 1Dii & the 1Diin is at the top of my list. Any other suggestions and or a good price range for a good quality 1Dii & the 1Diin I should be looking for? Also what would you say is a good shutter count for the used 1Dii & the 1Diin what is the max I wouldn't want to buy above?

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Ok so the 1Dii & the 1Diin is at the top of my list. Any other suggestions and or a good price range for a good quality 1Diin I should be looking for? Also what would you say is a good shutter count for the used 1Dii & the 1Diin what is the max I wouldn't want to buy above?

A 1D2 in good condition goes for $650-750 on fredmiranda.com, depending on condition and shutter count. A 1D2N probably goes for an additional $100.

Look for shutter counts <100k. As a point of reference, my 1D2 has 250,000 clicks on it, and is still going strong. And to be honest, a shutter replacement is not very pricey.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.