Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ganstavoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Ohio / Cali
Thank you as you can tell this is my first tie buying used. I hate to say it but besides eBay what places do you recemond buying used from?

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Shutters will blow on Mark II and Mark II Ns. A few years back there was a rash here in Houston where multiple photogs all blew shutters in II Ns in the same month, it was really weird.

I've had them go as low as 38,000 actuations. You're looking at around $300 to replace it however I've had several replaced for free on lower count bodies. I look at shutters like hard drives. It isn't a matter of if it will blow, just a matter of when.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Shutters will blow on Mark II and Mark II Ns. A few years back there was a rash here in Houston where multiple photogs all blew shutters in II Ns in the same month, it was really weird.

I've had them go as low as 38,000 actuations. You're looking at around $300 to replace it however I've had several replaced for free on lower count bodies. I look at shutters like hard drives. It isn't a matter of if it will blow, just a matter of when.

The same could be said of any camera.

Buy a 1DII with 100k actuations or fewer. Assuming that the average 1DII will last 200,000 actuations, and assuming 1000 actuations per month, you're looking at 8 years before you hit 200,000. As I said, I'm at 250,000 right now. I know my shutter will fail at some point, but I don't agonize about it.

Ganstavoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Ohio / Cali
I see how you say it's a matter of when.

Any suggestions on where I should look to buy a used 1Dii & the 1Diin? Besides eBay any other relaible sources out there where I won't get screwed over?

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
The same could be said of any camera.

Buy a 1DII with 100k actuations or fewer. Assuming that the average 1DII will last 200,000 actuations, and assuming 1000 actuations per month, you're looking at 8 years before you hit 200,000. As I said, I'm at 250,000 right now. I know my shutter will fail at some point, but I don't agonize about it.

Right, I wasn't saying this to discourage the purchase of a Mark II, it is just something to keep in mind. Don't be surprised if it happens. You just never know what might trigger an incident.

I once dropped one of my Mark II N w/ 70-200 off my shoulder onto concrete and watched it skip 10 feet. It kept working with no problems. Another time I had a Mark II N w/ 70-200 standing up on the lens hood at a basketball game. I hit it with my elbow and tipped it over, so like a 10 inch fall, blew the shutter out.

"1,000 actuations per month" :D I'm averaging close to 1,000 per day! I assume since the original poster specifically mentioned sports photography he'll be shooting a little more then 1,000 frames a month.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Right, I wasn't saying this to discourage the purchase of a Mark II, it is just something to keep in mind. Don't be surprised if it happens. You just never know what might trigger an incident.

I once dropped one of my Mark II N w/ 70-200 off my shoulder onto concrete and watched it skip 10 feet. It kept working with no problems. Another time I had a Mark II N w/ 70-200 standing up on the lens hood at a basketball game. I hit it with my elbow and tipped it over, so like a 10 inch fall, blew the shutter out.

"1,000 actuations per month" :D I'm averaging close to 1,000 per day! I assume since the original poster specifically mentioned sports photography he'll be shooting a little more then 1,000 frames a month.

I don't doubt that a professional would shoot ~1000 frames per day. 1000 per month is more reasonable for a non-pro/semi-pro, though.

OP, how much use will the camera get?

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Is this a legit place? Any buyer protection?

It is a user forum for photography just like MacRumors is for computers. You'll be buying from other forum members so you're on your own.

Another place to keep an eye on is the classifieds at SportsShooter, however there you'll most likely be buying from working pros so the gear might have more wear and tear.
http://www.sportsshooter.com/classifieds.html

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Is this a legit place? Any buyer protection?

It is one of the single biggest gathering places for pros on the web. I've purchased bodies, lenses, flashes, etc on that site. The "buyer protection" comes from the community nature of the site; users have rankings, which are visible to all other users.

It's as much protection as you can possibly have on the web. I have absolutely no qualms about buying on fm.com

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???

I hear you on that.

When my mkII shutter goes, I'll probably just use the opportunity to pick up a mkIII or a 1Ds2, since the shutter costs nearly the same as a used body.

Ganstavoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Ohio / Cali
Like I said before I plan on having it as my main body with my main lens on it and keeping my 30d with a smaller lens on it for when the action gets closer ect so I will be shooting high school / professional sports every week and weekend with this so probably about a full game of baseball basketball football 3 times a week

Ganstavoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Ohio / Cali
It is one of the single biggest gathering places for pros on the web. I've purchased bodies, lenses, flashes, etc on that site. The "buyer protection" comes from the community nature of the site; users have rankings, which are visible to all other users.

It's as much protection as you can possibly have on the web. I have absolutely no qualms about buying on fm.com

Just got home and checked out the Fredmiranda.com site. Looks pretty promising. Seems like I will be able to pick up a good 1D Mark ii for around $650-850 or a 1D Mark iin for around $750-950. I haven't had a chance to look up the main differences yet, but it seems that the 1D mark ii N can write JPEG to 1 card and RAW to another card at the same time which is kind of cool. And that it has a better buffer. along with the larger LCD screen. I'm not too sure if those slight changes from the 1D mark ii are worth the extra chunk of cash but if I find a good deal on a 1D mark iin I will jump on it without thinking twice.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I know it's been said above this post, but two things you really should consider if you do sports photography:
-The change in effective shooting distance will be noticeably different between the 1DII and 7D
-The 7D is basically designed for your needs, a cheaper version of a really good sports camera

You really should consider saving up a little more money and getting a used 7D (I've seen them as low as $1300) instead of getting the 1DII, its better in most ways and will also give you better reach.

Ganstavoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Ohio / Cali
Yes, I see what you are saying, I shot my friends 7D and not that big of a fan. I dislike the idea of putting pure video on DSLRs. That is really taking the "Professional" aspect out of the profession and making it consumer friendly for a powerful machine.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Yes, I see what you are saying, I shot my friends 7D and not that big of a fan. I dislike the idea of putting pure video on DSLRs. That is really taking the "Professional" aspect out of the profession and making it consumer friendly for a powerful machine.

This seems like an odd reason not to like a camera. If you don't like DSLR video, then don't use it.

Do keep in mind, however, that DSLRs have been used to produce network television episodes.

The 7D is an excellent sports camera.

funkboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
elsewhere
I have seen a few used/refurbished 7Ds start to creep out into the market in the last few months. That's likely your best bet to get a modern sports camera that doesn't weigh 10 tons at a price you can afford.

Even if one didn't care about live view or movies (and I find live view to be very handy sometimes), here are the reasons I'd go for a 7D:

- built-in speedlite controller
- autofocus microadjustment
- same viewfinder as the 1DIII
- same FPS as the 1DII (8)
- pro-grade weather sealing
- a lot lighter than a 1 series & doesn't scream "monster camera"
- built-in flash
- lots of cool AF features
- beautiful 3:2 display that works well in bright sunlight
- configurable focusing screen/viewfinder display
- configurable highlight optimization
- electronic level/horizon
- multi-level battery indicator
- usable images at ISO6400
- shoot MRAW if 18mp makes you crazy
- still supported by CPS for a good long while

IMHO it's also the finest looking DSLR Canon has made so far (550D looks great too, same style). I'd own one already if I didn't love my 40D so much :).

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I hear you on that.

When my mkII shutter goes, I'll probably just use the opportunity to pick up a mkIII or a 1Ds2, since the shutter costs nearly the same as a used body.

a shutter costs $200, like all other standard camera repairs.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Even if one didn't care about live view or movies (and I find live view to be very handy sometimes), here are the reasons I'd go for a 7D:

- pro-grade weather sealing

not really. minor improvement over a 5DII.

- a lot lighter than a 1 series & doesn't scream "monster camera"

then again, at a sports event, no one cares..

- built-in flash

...ok. I'm not excited by that, personally.

- lots of cool AF features

because the 1-series doesn't have "cool AF features" :rolleyes:. they have more, actually.

- configurable highlight optimization

if you're talking about HTP/ALO, that's just Jpeg processing, so only important if the OP uses Jpeg.

- still supported by CPS for a good long while

the 1Ds is still supported. I think the OP would have moved on by the time the Mark IIs aren't...

Ganstavoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Ohio / Cali
This seems like an odd reason not to like a camera. If you don't like DSLR video, then don't use it.

Do keep in mind, however, that DSLRs have been used to produce network television episodes.

The 7D is an excellent sports camera.

I know its an excellent sports camera. I am trying to move away from the
"prosumer" series of cameras and work my way into the more professional line. What i was meaning to say before is I don't see the point in paying all that extra cash for like full HD video when I will never use it!

Eaton Photos

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
KY
OP,

The pros & cons have been pointed out, for whichever route you decide to proceed.

Personally, if your looking for durability & a long term investment, I will echo the chorus, and say look to the Mark II's. Regarding FM, its a great site. I've been a member for close to 4 years, and have nothing but positive experiences in both using the forum, and buying gear. Most of my current gear, has been bought from deals with fellow photographers' on FM. I have 2 MKIIN's. On one, a shutter blew prematurely around 38K Clicks. Sent it off to CPS, and they replaced the shutter free of charge. It now has about 20K Clicks on the new shutter. My other MKIIN, has about 85K Clicks. Shutter is original, and is still going strong. I bought both of these used on FM, and both had less than 20K clicks on them, when I bought them.

Whether you should buy the N over the II, is purely a personal choice. I've owned both. And for me, I prefer the features of the N over the II. When I've had assignments, where I wanted to come back to certain files, I have used the dual write feature, which is not possible on the II. It is a great feature to have. Also the slightly larger LCD, for me was a selling point. The 2.5" size & pixel count, are plenty for me. I do not typically delete in camera. I primarily use the LCD to check my histogram, however, there are occasions where having the larger LCD, does make a difference, when sharing an image with someone, though, I make it clear, this is only an in-camera representation, not what the image will look like after post.

For Sports & Events, 8.2 MP is more than sufficient. I've made 16X24 prints that just pop, and there is plenty more detail to print larger, if necessary. Also the weather-sealing feature, is a big bonus, as I have shot HS Sports/ News Assignments in downpours, without any type of protective cover, and I have never had any problems, while shooting in said conditions. Once I get the gear indoors, I dry it off, but the sealing does its job in protecting the internal circuits.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
because the 1-series doesn't have "cool AF features" :rolleyes:. they have more, actually.

Actually, the 7D has an arguably better AF system than the 1D2, which is the camera we've been discussing here all along. 19 cross-type sensors vs. 7 cross-type on the 1D2.

The 1D2 is a great camera, and I would still recommend it to the OP (and I have), but it's showing its age in many ways. Still takes great photos, though.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Actually, the 7D has an arguably better AF system than the 1D2, which is the camera we've been discussing here all along. 19 cross-type sensors vs. 7 cross-type on the 1D2.

two things: sports is still done mostly with the center, and the 7D still doesn't seem to be able to lock on to a subject the way a 1D can, based on the comments I've read. I'm thinking it has a watered-down AF algorithm, much the way a poster somewhere here thinks there's something missing in the D700 AF vs the D3, even though the configuration is the same.

of course, those observations aren't exactly rigorous, but not having seen any comments from 1-series users about how the 7D blows the 1DMk() away has to mean something. my conclusion is the 7D may be just as good as a 1D or 1DII, but not better, and my inclination is that it's still a step below in actual performance, despite it's newfangled 19 cross sensors and zone AF and what not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.