Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hawaii Big Island D3- Today drove from Waikoloa on Saddle Road over to Hilo (1.5 hrs approx 70 miles) The exterior of the island is mostly dry moonscape with grasses, lava flows or bulldozed up lava flows, no one lives there, and now that I’ve seen it, no surprise. Pretty in a stark way. ;) Who wants to live between 2 volcanoes on a lava strewn plain?

I just never pictured a great portion of the island looking like this. And from what I’ve seen so far there are primarily 2 coastal strips down both sides where most residents live.

5CED93D1-5923-408E-BACA-D8EDD0B770B4.jpeg
Black dots are goats which are all over the island.​

Hilo is nice and quaint. If we ever make a return visit it will be to fly into Hilo. And we found one of the island’s magic spots, a tropical rainforest biome North of Hilo on the coast, in the vicinity of the Hawaiian Tropical Bioreserve and Garden. The place is amazing although my wife tweaked her back, so walking was out, and we mostly drove around the vicinity and took pictures.

61A40530-8BF6-4296-9BBE-C7644829B071.jpeg
Not my image

6FCAEDA5-B023-4E5E-B818-3928E96E7123.jpeg

7D0B8FB8-0060-4142-A19E-FB053777C5FD.jpeg

91620B15-63B5-475B-922F-6E791F851425.jpeg
This is a slice of heaven that aI would move here in a heartbeat if I could afford it, and there were no pesky volcanos to consider. :)

Heading North up the East Coast to Honoka’a, we past large stands of Eucalyptus trees, I believe imported to help the island’s forests, a pretty area. The roads on this side of the island are nice and minimally curvy so you can make nice time as compared to the West coast road which has stretches of very curvy, low speed roads.

Bottom line, the coastal strips are nice, but not in the NW unless you are on a resort and the East South East area seems iffy too. It seems that although it‘s the biggest Hawaiian Island, it has a really limited area where people would want to live. Just telling it like I see it, but we have no regrets visiting here on vacation, because today was a good day and the sights were really good. :D

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hawaii Big Island D3- Today drove from Waikoloa on Saddle Road over to Hilo (1.5 hrs approx 70 miles) The exterior of the island is mostly dry moonscape with grasses, lava flows or bulldozed up lava flows, no one lives there, and now that I’ve seen it, no surprise. Pretty in a stark way. ;) Who wants to live between 2 volcanoes on a lava strewn plain?

I just never pictured a great portion of the island looking like this. And from what I’ve seen so far there are primarily 2 coastal strips down both sides where most residents live.

View attachment 1971351 Black dots are goats which are all over the island.​

Hilo is nice and quaint. If we ever make a return visit it will be to fly into Hilo. And we found one of the island’s magic spots, a tropical rainforest biome North of Hilo on the coast, in the vicinity of the Hawaiian Tropical Bioreserve and Garden. The place is amazing although my wife tweaked her back, so walking was out, and we mostly drove around the vicinity and took pictures.

This is a slice of heaven that aI would move here in a heartbeat if I could afford it, and there were no pesky volcanos to consider. :)

Heading North up the East Coast to Honoka’a, we past large stands of Eucalyptus trees, I believe imported to help the island’s forests, a pretty area. The roads on this side of the island are nice and minimally curvy so you can make nice time as compared to the West coast road which has stretches of very curvy, low speed roads.

Bottom line, the coastal strips are nice, but not in the NW unless you are on a resort and the East South East area seems iffy too. It seems that although it‘s the biggest Hawaiian Island, it has a really limited area where people would want to live. Just telling it like I see it, but we have no regrets visiting here on vacation, because today was a good day and the sights were really good. :D
Enjoy your holiday.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ok, back home and tired. A long trip, mostly had a good time. Will never do another 3 leg trip* to or from Hawaii, will not go back to Kona, nor ever do another Time Share presentation. ;) For the Big Island, if you are intrigued by volcanoes, lots of lava fields and an active volcano, but instead I would choose Maui. Kauai is a possibility for the future, but I think the best plan is to fly into Oahu first and then catch a short flight to one of the other islands.

* Before anyone kids me about you get what you pay for, that was not to save $, :p not the case, but the fault is ours for wanting to fly from the States directly to the big island, and sticking with a specific airline without considering other possibilities, and the most flights are to Oahu.

Reactions: decafjava

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Ok, back home and tired. A long trip, mostly had a good time. Will never do another 3 leg trip* to or from Hawaii, will not go back to Kona, nor ever do another Time Share presentation. ;) For the Big Island, if you are intrigued by volcanoes, lots of lava fields and an active volcano, but instead I would choose Maui. Kauai is a possibility for the future, but I think the best plan is to fly into Oahu first and then catch a short flight to one of the other islands.

* Before anyone kids me about you get what you pay for, that was not to save $, :p not the case, but the fault is ours for wanting to fly from the States directly to the big island, and sticking with a specific airline without considering other possibilities, and the most flights are to Oahu.

if you haven't been to Kauai, you definitely should give it a try.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
One thing I forgot to mention, I detested wearing my mask in the airport and on the plane for 20 hrs. I’ve been wearing a mask regularly for 2 years now, but this annoyed me, hot and stuffy. :oops:

Reactions: satcomer

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
We’re flying out early June to San Diego, staying 7 days at the Bahia Beach resort. Most of our trip will be ‘external activities’, but this is one of the top rated resorts in San Diego, with loads of on-site amenities. This will be my first time to California. (This is also the first year we won’t be frequenting our timeshare in Fort Myers Beach.)Pics to follow upon return!

BFDBC1E2-331C-45CD-9419-E019E9714399.jpeg

74BCD0CA-7805-4BE1-AB9A-0556A47D7B35.jpeg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
We’re flying out early June to San Diego, staying 7 days at the Bahia Beach resort. Most of our trip will be ‘external activities’, but this is one of the top rated resorts in San Diego, with loads of on-site amenities. This will be my first time to California. (This is also the first year we won’t be frequenting our timeshare in Fort Myers Beach.)Pics to follow upon return!
In San Diego on vacation.

I mean, can you really beat this type of relaxation?

D220D60B-A396-4327-B2AB-262127BDA1D9.jpeg

2EB389D6-8DE4-4E52-BF2D-69988302D208.jpeg

Reactions: 960design and Huntn

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Switzerland for 2 weeks. OK, it is visiting daughter and spoiling grandchild with daytrips everywhere. Have become a master of trains (bus and ships). That is changing now that he is in school but previously was during the month European vacation shutdown that closed daycare...but parents didn't have month off as their business remained open. We covered two weeks and the other grandparents covered the other two weeks.

But since over there...why head back? Extend for at least a week of independent travel. On the short list are Portugal, Greece, Tuscany region of Italy (done Venice) to Rome for return flight. Also have done the "delay connection/different return city" Example would be daughter's wedding in Canary Islands - no direct flights from US, and virtually every return required overnight at connection city due to US flight departing earlier than your arrival. My US leg was United to Barcelona with a Madrid return, spending a two or three nights in both cities, including daytrips to Monseratt and Toledo. Then the Canary Island leg was a regional/budget airline Barcelona, Lanzarote, Madrid, with obvious time spent in Lanzarote with a car rental exploring the Island.

Reactions: 960design and Huntn

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Another way to state it...

Get the H... out of Orlando. Everyone comes here and the locals escape passing the crowds on the road in the opposite direction!

• Haha

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Another way to state it...

Get the H... out of Orlando. Everyone comes here and the locals escape passing the crowds on the road in the opposite direction!

You just described how it is to live in Las Vegas and deal with NYE! get the hotel echo Lima Lima out of town and let the tourists pay the tourist tax to stay in the tourist trap and pay to clean up their tourist mess!

BL.

Reactions: Huntn and tizeye

stormyuklondon1

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2006
Drive to Scotland today (9 hours).
Climb a mountain tomorrow (9+ hours)
Drive home Monday (9 hours).
Yup a nice restful holiday!
Ah nice, enjoy!
I have fond memories of my dad buying a VW campervan ( he paid 2 grand for it..oh how times have changed..) and us all driving up from London to Kylesku, Happy days.

Reactions: Apple fanboy

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Ah nice, enjoy!
I have fond memories of my dad buying a VW campervan ( he paid 2 grand for it..oh how times have changed..) and us all driving up from London to Kylesku, Happy days.
My friends who are picking me up (I live in the Midlands) are coming from London.
I’ll be honest if they had deeper pockets we’d have flown to Glasgow and hired a car.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I am currently in Cala Millor in Mallorca, Spain. It’s not dropped below 30 degrees in our first week and it’s been a much needed break from the office. Dreading going home next Saturday.

e776aa09c326b9c15f53d5135c98e03d.jpg
So jealous! Year left of schooling before I can go on vacation again. :(.
I may sneak off to northern Japan for a month, next year ( if Japan allows us ).

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
This year I'm going to ride my bike from Amsterdam to Brussels, then I have to work one day go home and see my wife off to a trip to Mallorca, the day after she gets back she's going to grab my daughter and head to Turkey.

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
b94ec41f48d3d05ab380e0c370215f0f.jpg

I took an overnight train from Frankfurt and arrived in Amsterdam this morning. I hang out here for the rest of the day and take off for Brussels in the morning

Can't say I'm not envious! Least of which is because over here, it takes an overnight train to just go from Sacramento to Portland! To be able to take a less than 2-hour flight or train and be 4 countries away is definitely a unique sought after experience the US will never really have. Enjoy that trip!

BL.

Reactions: lowendlinux
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.