Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utvn

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2013
I feel like Apple is controlling us in everything. Everything has to be on Itune.

exc

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
iPad stuck in recovery loop

I have an iPad 5.1.1 jailbroken for a while now, and accidentally tried to update it without unjailbreaking. Needless to say, i'm screwed. I've tried using Tiny Umbrella and redsn0w to try to get out of the loop and to restore to 5.1.1, but no luck. I do have saved blobs on cydia for 5.1.1 as well as 6.0 i think, and some earlier versions as far as what redsn0w tell me anyways. DFU mode attempted, no luck restoring from that. Do I have any other options?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I have an iPad 5.1.1 jailbroken for a while now, and accidentally tried to update it without unjailbreaking. Needless to say, i'm screwed. I've tried using Tiny Umbrella and redsn0w to try to get out of the loop and to restore to 5.1.1, but no luck. I do have saved blobs on cydia for 5.1.1 as well as 6.0 i think, and some earlier versions as far as what redsn0w tell me anyways. DFU mode attempted, no luck restoring from that. Do I have any other options?

Which ipad?

Did you try a hard reset?

On an ipad2 a re-restore from 5.1.1 to 5.1.1 is possible with valid blobs and if you did not use an OTA to get to 5.1.1

Use redsn0w, go to Extras/even more/restore and follow instructions.

You'll need to download the 5.1.1 IPSW for that.

http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=25156

exc

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
Which ipad?

Did you try a hard reset?

On an ipad2 a re-restore from 5.1.1 to 5.1.1 is possible with valid blobs and if you did not use an OTA to get to 5.1.1

Use redsn0w, go to Extras/even more/restore and follow instructions.

You'll need to download the 5.1.1 IPSW for that.

http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=25156

Hardsetting put me back into recovery.

It's an iPad 3, and I can't remember if I used iTunes or OTA, but I'm leaning towards iTunes. No luck with redsn0w though, it tells me I don't have the blob, but querying cydia through redsnow shows:

iPhone3,1 4237220468014 remote blobs:
4.3.5, 4.3.3, 4.2b3, 4.2.1, 4.1

Do I have the wrong version of 5.1.1? I got the wifi version 5.1.1, which is what I have, but there are AT&T and some other versions. I got my iPad 3 in the apple store canada and it's most definitely not a 3g model...

Should I be using some iPhone 3 firmware or something?

EDIT: Ok...looks like i only have 6.0.1, though I was jailbroken on 5.1.1...i thought cydia automatically saved blobs.

Restoring to iOS 6+ is impossible on A5 right? Am I completely screwed?

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Step-by-Step Guide to Restore iPhone.

Hardsetting put me back into recovery.

It's an iPad 3, and I can't remember if I used iTunes or OTA, but I'm leaning towards iTunes. No luck with redsn0w though, it tells me I don't have the blob, but querying cydia through redsnow shows:

Do I have the wrong version of 5.1.1? I got the wifi version 5.1.1, which is what I have, but there are AT&T and some other versions. I got my iPad 3 in the apple store canada and it's most definitely not a 3g model...

Should I be using some iPhone 3 firmware or something?

EDIT: Ok...looks like i only have 6.0.1, though I was jailbroken on 5.1.1...i thought cydia automatically saved blobs.

Restoring to iOS 6+ is impossible on A5 right? Am I completely screwed?

Unfortunately Cydia auto-saved 6.0-6.1.2 blobs are invalid.

http://www.saurik.com/id/15

Unless you save the manually direct from Apple with redsn0w, iFaith or TU you are SOL.

Jamesroy

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2013
I have a jailbroken iPhone 5. My new gold, 64gb 5s is being delivered tomorrow. My computer has been busted for weeks so my phone is my primary "computer." I need to transfer all my vids, pics, etc. Whats the best way to do that? (I have access to a friends iTunes to backup, etc.) Do I just backup in iTunes, plug in new 5s, and restore from backup? Or backup, plug in new 5s, setup as new device, then restore from backup. I don't want to drag needless jailbrake files over, or screw up the new phone. Any help?

worldbrain

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2014
provider access ???

So even if I jailbreak the phone successfully, at a later stage I can just restore the phone? Would this also mean that a complete restore would make the phone network locked again?

Thanks

....can you log into a wireless router connection with internet?

astoria0128

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Step by step guild to restore iPhone

Great tutorial !
I have iPhone 3gs but i didn't try jailbreak yet.
By following your steps i think i can easily do it.

Thanks

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
So if I jailbreak with Pangu and install cydia would I need to disable iCloud and pascode/TID every time I reboot my phone? I did a jailbreak and installed Cydia along with some tweaks and accidentally forgot to disable these things before rebooting and it took me to the perpetual rebooting white screen after which I had to reinstall IOS through iTunes and restore my phone to the pre-jailbreak state. Want to jailbreak again, so just wanted to know whether this is something I would have to do every time i reboot my phone.

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
So if I jailbreak with Pangu and install cydia would I need to disable iCloud and pascode/TID every time I reboot my phone? I did a jailbreak and installed Cydia along with some tweaks and accidentally forgot to disable these things before rebooting and it took me to the perpetual rebooting white screen after which I had to reinstall IOS through iTunes and restore my phone to the pre-jailbreak state. Want to jailbreak again, so just wanted to know whether this is something I would have to do every time i reboot my phone.

back up phone>restore phone leave pass code and find my iphone off and wouldnt hurt to to turn on airplane mode>jailbreak(do not touch cydia at all>restore phone>then update cydia or open

also, the passcode and touch id should be fixed

sal23

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
im contemplating jailbreaking right now...

so if i want to remove the jailbreak without losing my data what would i do?

what if i back-up my jailbroken phone, then restore as a new phone, then restore as the backup?

Alexander504

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
Need Major Help

Hello, I recently Jail Broke my iPhone 5s, running on iOS 8 with Pangu. Everything was fine until I downloaded JellyLock7. I resprung my device and now I have no lock screen. By that I mean I have not time, date, slide to unlock, camera button, control center, and notification center. I CAN'T DO ANYTHING WITH MY PHONE !! I can't get my phone to get into safe mode either. Any help ??
Thanks

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Hello, I recently Jail Broke my iPhone 5s, running on iOS 8 with Pangu. Everything was fine until I downloaded JellyLock7. I resprung my device and now I have no lock screen. By that I mean I have not time, date, slide to unlock, camera button, control center, and notification center. I CAN'T DO ANYTHING WITH MY PHONE !! I can't get my phone to get into safe mode either. Any help ??
Thanks

Restore your iPhone in iTunes. You can jailbreak again with TaiG jailbreak or just leave it stock. http://www.taig.com/en/

eprisencc

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
If your jailbroken before and after the restore here is how you can restore just your springboard layout without bringing over any other corrupted data.

How to save iOS icon and folder layout Springboard Home Screen information when restoring as new as of iOS 8

You need to be jailbroken for this to work.

Transfer all your apps to iTunes so you can get them back.

Backup the following file using iFile in the following directory: private/var/mobile/Library/SpringBoard
IconState.plist

Backup this file to dropbox using iFile.

Restore iPhone as new. Sync apps back using iTunes. Re-jailbreak phone. Install iFile.

To restore springboard organization, rename the backed up file IconState.plist to DesiredIconState.plist and then copy to private/var/mobile/Library/SpringBoard. Overwrite the existing file if necessary. Respring and springboard layout should be restored. Now all you have to do is go through the tedious process of logging into apps and setting the phone back up the way you like it.

jhashank

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2015
Hey

I'm doing this for the first time, although I have some idea about how its done. Here is the situation:

I'm on iPad Mini 16 GB with iOS 6.x Untethered

I want to update to iOS 8.1 Untethered

The problem:

1. I do not want to lose my music on the iPad
2. If I restore using iTunes and then update, I'll have no option but to go to iOS 8.2. Is it possible to then return to iOS 8.1 jailbreak ?

3. Fastest way to do that?

idoccurt

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
One of the most commonly asked questions by iPhone users who want to jailbreak their iPhone is: "Is possible to recover if things go horribly wrong while trying to hack their iPhone?"
The answer is yes.

Before we start, please note that the step-by-step guide involves restoring your iPhone so you should know that this would mean that all your personal data from your iPhone, including songs, videos, contacts, photos, calendar information, and any other data will be wiped out and your iPhone's settings will be restored to their factory settings. However, you always have the option to recover your personal data from the backup.

Here is the step-by-step guide to revirginize or restore your jailbroken iPhone:

* Connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC and select your iPhone from the list of devices in iTunes. If things had gone horribly wrong while hacking your iPhone and iTunes does not detect your iPhone then you will need to put it in DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode.
o You can follow these steps to put your iPhone in DFU mode (this is required only if iTunes does not recognize your iPhone):
+ Connect your iPhone to your computer.
+ Turn iPhone off.
+ Hold power and home together for 10 seconds (exactly).
+ Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.
+ A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPhone.
* In the Summary Tab, click on the Restore button.

* iTunes should prompt you if you would wish to take a backup of your iPhone before restoring. Select Backup.

* After the backup is taken select the Restore option when iTunes prompts you.

* Once the restore process has completed your iPhone will restart and the Apple logo will appear while booting up.
* After the restore is complete and your iPhone restarts you will see the “Connect to Activate” screen. You must continue to keep your iPhone connected to complete activation.

* The last step is to set up your iPhone either from a backup or set up as a "new iPhone". If you are planning to take the iPhone to the Apple Store, its advisable to setup your iPhone as a "new iPhone" else you can select the date of your backup that you want to restore to. You can always follow the above procedure to restore from a backup at a later date.

i hope admins of this website put this thread in sticky forum..

Would you jailbreak again?

jday8480

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2013
I'm sure thats true for ios and devices jailbroken around the time it was written in 08, but i jailbroke my device about 6 months ago and have scowered the blogasphere to figure out how to restore my device to its pre jailbreak condition and functionality and haven't been able to find any assistance at all. I started posting requests over a month ago and have made at least 15 requests at as many different forums and haven't received a single response.

I successfully jailbroke my divice, then accidently deleted cydia. This is a company owned divice, and has to be turned back in for mandantory security app upgrades and installations. I have been stalling to try to find a way to restore it. if they find i have jailbroken it it could mena my job. I have tried connecting it to itunes and doing the DFU restore, and all simular methods, going through device menue to restore to factory defaults, reinstalling the pangu jailbreak then restoreing. none of it works. the device is still fully functional as of its state at the time of jailbreak, but no apps can be installed or upgraded, and the ios over air upgrade cant be done. can someone please instruct some method that might work. Im desperate and running out of time.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I have an ipad air A1475
ios 7.1
jailbreak pangu 7.1

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 396

Adiva12

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2015
So much written, yet so confusing, but so much context missing from posts. Surprising that this topic is now a magnet for those that enjoy sorting out a mess. I'm sure that such must exist somewhere.

xSimone

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2016
Hold up, I'm a little confused..

So this basically allows us to completely remove our jailbreak, and restore the iPhone to factory.. and NOT lose our current iOS version?

I've always been afraid to do it this way in fear of being forced to update. This definitely WON'T update me?

Does this mean it's better than Cydia Impactor?

When I try doing these steps, I see 'Restore & Update' or 'Cancel' as my options. Do I need an earlier version of iTunes?

Last edited:

Needle

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2016
Good day. I badly need a reply.

I already opened my LOCKED Ipod. But sad to say, it became worst.
I cannot play a game and the system was so delayed. :(

Someone said that I need to jailbreak it. Does someone know, how?

I badly needed your reply guys. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.