Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2015
Hey guys.

I keep going back and forth weather i want to trade in my 8plus 256 gig for the X! I know its a thinner sized screen, im not crazy about the notch but my nephew who's got one says you dont even notice it unless you zoom into movies...etc..

Has anyone did this, how much did they get for the 8 plus (and where) and do they regret it?

Ive used the plus size phones going back to the 6 plus and while i love the size, its still after 3 years not perfect in the hands. I know i'd loose landscape mode (something i almost never use unless watching a movie) but theres just something about the x that keeps nagging me that like i almost dont want to admit how badly i want it.

I also recently sold my ipad pro 2 12.9 and i sorely regret doing that and thinking about buying a 10.5 inch in a month or so.

Do you think its possable, being how i got the 8 plus in mind condition (it hasnt left its otterbox defender case since i got it), and get enough to put towards a 10.5 ipad pro.

I see the prices on Ebay and Let go ranging anywhere from 500-1000 yet the places i usually trade stuff in (apple, gamestop) have no listings what so ever and like anyone i want to get the most for it (yes i know ill never get full retail price)

So A: has anyone done it, do you regret it and where do u get the most for it?

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Go for it. While the 8 Plus is a very good phone, design wise, it’s not in 2017 never mind 2018. The X is new and fresh with a good design.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The way I see it, the iPhone X user interface and Face ID is the future. Gesture controls will be something that will be expanded into other iPhone models in the future and the iPhone 8 to me is a dated design, although it's a very good iPhone in many respects with touch ID. So if you're content with accepting Face ID, I would make the transition to the iPhone X.

Reactions: haruhiko

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2015
I tried the X and went back.

Everyone’s reasons are different. I can say I’m not missing the X and will be just fine until next cycle.
Yeah im thinking that. You know at some point there going to put out a XPlus or XL model...Why give up battery...when if you wait a year you can have both lol

Reactions: 370zulu

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Hey guys.

I keep going back and forth weather i want to trade in my 8plus 256 gig for the X! I know its a thinner sized screen, im not crazy about the notch but my nephew who's got one says you dont even notice it unless you zoom into movies...etc..

Has anyone did this, how much did they get for the 8 plus (and where) and do they regret it?

Ive used the plus size phones going back to the 6 plus and while i love the size, its still after 3 years not perfect in the hands. I know i'd loose landscape mode (something i almost never use unless watching a movie) but theres just something about the x that keeps nagging me that like i almost dont want to admit how badly i want it.

I also recently sold my ipad pro 2 12.9 and i sorely regret doing that and thinking about buying a 10.5 inch in a month or so.

Do you think its possable, being how i got the 8 plus in mind condition (it hasnt left its otterbox defender case since i got it), and get enough to put towards a 10.5 ipad pro.

I see the prices on Ebay and Let go ranging anywhere from 500-1000 yet the places i usually trade stuff in (apple, gamestop) have no listings what so ever and like anyone i want to get the most for it (yes i know ill never get full retail price)

I went from the 8+ to the X a few days ago and I’m ok with it so far. I switched primarily because my daughter wanted an 8+ for her birthday. (She’s been using the normal sized versions but wanted the dual camera and there was no way I was giving her an X with all the reports of how delicate it is.) I figured this gave me the chance to give one a try.

The faceID is really quick and the phone itself is really responsive. I honestly don’t have any problems with it other than it doesn’t seem like the home screen rotates to landscape as the + sized phones do. It will just take a little time to get used to a smaller phone again. (I was an early adopter of large screened phones going back to the original Note and moved over once Apple launched the + sized iPhones.)

Since I am gifting my 8+ to my daughter I didn’t get a chance to check resale prices, but I generally sell my phones on swappa.com. I get pretty good returns there.

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
I did this and selling the 8+ was the biggest loss I have made on a used iPhone.

Once you switch it would be hard to go back. I am not 100% happy with all of the new gestures but am not missing the home button at all. I know the overall screen area is slightly smaller but in truth I have not noticed it

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
Going from the 8+ to the X turns the X into a $1300-$1500 phone, depending on how much of a loss you end up taking on the 8+. I bought the 8+ on the first day of availability and I’m very happy with it. At the same time, I do get occasional bouts of FOMO and I typically check X availability every few days. Today, every size and color of the X are available locally at every store in the DC area. But, if I didn’t think the higher price was worth it when I bought the 8+, I certainly cannot justify spending that much on top of the loss I would take from just a few months use of the 8+. I should stick with the 8+ until next year’s model. I just need to have the willpower to do it.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
iPhone SE user here. I'd say stick with that 8+. I'm still debating myself but here are my reasons why I haven't gone to iPhone X yet

1)face ID will be much more improved next year and faster
2)iOS apps will be better and more optimized to support iPhone X
3)battery life just simply isn't good with iOS 11. Sure users report great battery life with the X, but that's justness because it's a new device
4)not a lot of choices for great screen protectors right now, if you are the type to put screen protectors, the choice is very limited and reviews aren't great

Tech will always get better, and people will say get the best device you can get now, I agree with that. I feel like as much as I want the X, I'd rather wait and see next year

Larvas

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
Berlin
Hey,

I went from an iPhone 7 plus, to an 8 plus, and then got the X last week, and I didn't regret it.

The thing is, with the 7 and 8 I felt like i'm still having/owning the same fkn phone for the last 4 years. Nothing new, everything the same. With the X I felt like I'm getting something new and exciting - which it was.

Why I like it:
- the design and the premium feel it has in the hand
- one hand usage
- size is perfect, doesn't fall out of my pockets
- screen is beatufiul and larger in terms of "scrolling content"
- the Face ID, I don't even notice it anymore
- the new gestures are cool and give me the feeling of having/owning something new, but still familiar enough to not give me headaches
- the battery life is amazing, going now through my second day and it's still on 37%.

Why I liked the Plus:
- the size of the screen was better for movies.
- nothing else which the X doesn't have right now.

I would say go for it.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
The 256GB 8 Plus variant is currently selling for $700-$800 on Swappa. Presuming yours sells at the higher end, the additional outlay for a 256GB X will be around $500.

mcarthon

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
If you are thinking about it then it’s basically already done. The longer you wait the 8s value will just keep dropping and you will be losing time with the X you can’t get back.

Just do it you won’t regret I.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Hey,

I went from an iPhone 7 plus, to an 8 plus, and then got the X last week, and I didn't regret it.

The thing is, with the 7 and 8 I felt like i'm still having/owning the same fkn phone for the last 4 years. Nothing new, everything the same. With the X I felt like I'm getting something new and exciting - which it was.

Why I like it:
- the design and the premium feel it has in the hand
- one hand usage
- size is perfect, doesn't fall out of my pockets
- screen is beatufiul and larger in terms of "scrolling content"
- the Face ID, I don't even notice it anymore
- the new gestures are cool and give me the feeling of having/owning something new, but still familiar enough to not give me headaches
- the battery life is amazing, going now through my second day and it's still on 37%.

Why I liked the Plus:
- the size of the screen was better for movies.
- nothing else which the X doesn't have right now.

I would say go for it.
Excellent points. 8+ is indeed 7+ with minor tweaks. The buyers pay the money for the minor tweaks.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Don't do it. Ive had my iPhone x since launch and I hate it. You'll be disappointed with the X's screen size.

Reactions: iPhonefreak79

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
iPhone SE user here. I'd say stick with that 8+. I'm still debating myself but here are my reasons why I haven't gone to iPhone X yet

1)face ID will be much more improved next year and faster
2)iOS apps will be better and more optimized to support iPhone X
3)battery life just simply isn't good with iOS 11. Sure users report great battery life with the X, but that's justness because it's a new device
4)not a lot of choices for great screen protectors right now, if you are the type to put screen protectors, the choice is very limited and reviews aren't great

Tech will always get better, and people will say get the best device you can get now, I agree with that. I feel like as much as I want the X, I'd rather wait and see next year

I went to X and love it. Been a plus user since the 6plus came out. Don't miss the size at all.

@jetlagged - just wanted to comment on your reasons for not getting the X, which I totally respect (your money, your call) but you speak about people justifying buying the X, where it seems you are trying to justify why you aren't buying it and based on my real world use, I want to clarify for the OP that those reasons seem thin. Again, not trying to start a war, just offering a different view based off my use.

1- Face ID is perfectly fine for me. Works every time to unlock, works with the apps that support it etc. I was a Touch ID loyalist and i really do not miss it at all.
2- Almost all of my apps are optimized for the screen and new apps are updated daily. I would assume they will all be updated very soon.
3 - I get a full day out of my X with what i would call heavy use (streaming Sirius, Music, Google Maps etc). Place on Mophie Charging pad when I go to bed and forget about it.
4 - I don't use a screen protector.

OP - I'd definitely suggest taking the plunge, it's an awesome phone.

Reactions: Costino1

iPhonefreak79

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2016
Hey guys.

I tried the X for one month and returned it for the iPhone 8 Plus. Only problem for me was the smaller screen. If you don’t need the wider screen keyboard layout, bigger screen for watching movies, and bigger photos on portrait mode, than go for the X. But I couldn’t sacrifice those things with the X and stuck with the Plus size.

HeatherA

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
I'm going to from 8+ to X. Hubby is getting my 8+ to replace his 7+. This will be my first non-plus size phone since the 6+ came out. I'm excited to go to the smaller form factor. I may miss the little extra width of the phone when it comes to games but next year I'll go back to a bigger form factor if one is released.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
8+ to the X.

No regrets. Any loss of $ was due to listening to the BS on macrumors.

Should have waited for the X all along.

Reactions: haruhiko

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
When deciding which to get I asked myself, what does the X actually offer me that the 8 Plus doesn't? Does the X have additional features and functionality that I actually need/want, or is its main enticement just the shinier new toy factor?

In the end I decided that not only did the X not offer exclusive features that I cared about, the 8 Plus in fact did, including a home button with touchID, a wider display aspect ratio, and better battery.

Reactions: Raist3001

MrJM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
I got the 8 plus on launch, wife needed a new phone so got an X too.

It’s a beast, really impressed with FaceID, the screen is gorgeous!

Only thing I’m not so keen on is it feels tiny and also feels a bit narrow but I imagine after a few weeks will be used to this!

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
Hey guys.

It seems from your initial post that the grass is always greener elsewhere. Have you ever considered making the most of what you've got and not always comparing to what others have got? Sounds like you'll always find a way to not enjoy your purchase.

These 'what should I buy?' threads always end up in a battle of 'buy the same phone as me or I will pour scorn and hatred on you'.

Get yourself to an Apple store, compare the 2 phones, and see if the shiny new X bauble gives you and that ridiculous dinosaur slab of an 8+ status anxiety.

BTW - I have an 8+ and I love it. I cannot take anyone seriously who is insecure enough to worry that other people will judge them by the phone they use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.