Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
8+ to the X.

No regrets. Any loss of $ was due to listening to the BS on macrumors.

Should have waited for the X all along.

Same here. That said I am happy I had a couple of months of higher quality photos. But I should have waited. The X is definitely the nicer phone; much more so than I expected. I eat my old words!

Its funny, I was the same way when the iPod came out. "That's overpriced! Nonsense!" Then I bought one...it was the best MP3 player I had ever used.

Then the iPhone "that's dumb, overpriced! Maybe someday...". Then I walked in and picked it up and was astounded. So happy.

iPhone X "overpriced! The screen is smaller than my plus! It doesn't have the same battery life! I'll get the 8+ and get 90% of the features!"

Then I got the X and was astounded.

You see a pattern here? :)

PS I am not saying the 8/8+ are bad phones. I bought one for my girlfriend. They are VERY good phones! But the X does add a lot to the table. For me, it was worth it in the end.

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
The 256GB 8 Plus variant is currently selling for $700-$800 on Swappa. Presuming yours sells at the higher end, the additional outlay for a 256GB X will be around $500.

OP, your happiness with the X better be worth at least $500 and the effort to sell your 8+ in this case and there are many differing opinions on the worth of the functionality and aesthetics. Opinions aside, this could be just a math exercise.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Same here. That said I am happy I had a couple of months of higher quality photos. But I should have waited. The X is definitely the nicer phone; much more so than I expected. I eat my old words!

Its funny, I was the same way when the iPod came out. "That's overpriced! Nonsense!" Then I bought one...it was the best MP3 player I had ever used.

Then the iPhone "that's dumb, overpriced! Maybe someday...". Then I walked in and picked it up and was astounded. So happy.

iPhone X "overpriced! The screen is smaller than my plus! It doesn't have the same battery life! I'll get the 8+ and get 90% of the features!"

Then I got the X and was astounded.

You see a pattern here? :)

PS I am not saying the 8/8+ are bad phones. I bought one for my girlfriend. They are VERY good phones! But the X does add a lot to the table. For me, it was worth it in the end.

Two friends and myself all had the sentiment when it came with to the X.
Two got the 8+.
Today all three are still picking feathers out of our teeth. Crow does taste like chicken

Reactions: redman042

Selcher

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2017
Canada
I love my 8 Plus... I played around with an X for about an hour... Decent and all that; no complaints... I just prefer a larger screen... When they release the X Plus next year, I'll buy that... (I also tend to avoid new tech the first year out)... If you have the money, just do whatever makes you happy... You only get one go at this life... Live it how you want!

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
iPhone SE user here. I'd say stick with that 8+. I'm still debating myself but here are my reasons why I haven't gone to iPhone X yet

1)face ID will be much more improved next year and faster (touch ID has been much improved since the 5SE intro but still works well enough for many users)
2)iOS apps will be better and more optimized to support iPhone X (apps not optimized are still very much usable)
3)battery life just simply isn't good with iOS 11. Sure users report great battery life with the X, but that's justness because it's a new device (I think many will tell you battery life isn't as good and I think many or those many are OK with it)
4)not a lot of choices for great screen protectors right now, if you are the type to put screen protectors, the choice is very limited and reviews aren't great (How many do you need to choice from? Belkin and Zagg readily available as well a plethora of offerings on Amazon, this is reaching)

Tech will always get better, and people will say get the best device you can get now, I agree with that. I feel like as much as I want the X, I'd rather wait and see next year

Thank you for sharing your perspective. It's interesting reading posts like this.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Hey guys.

I keep going back and forth weather i want to trade in my 8plus 256 gig for the X! I know its a thinner sized screen, im not crazy about the notch but my nephew who's got one says you dont even notice it unless you zoom into movies...etc..

Has anyone did this, how much did they get for the 8 plus (and where) and do they regret it?

Ive used the plus size phones going back to the 6 plus and while i love the size, its still after 3 years not perfect in the hands. I know i'd loose landscape mode (something i almost never use unless watching a movie) but theres just something about the x that keeps nagging me that like i almost dont want to admit how badly i want it.

I also recently sold my ipad pro 2 12.9 and i sorely regret doing that and thinking about buying a 10.5 inch in a month or so.

Do you think its possable, being how i got the 8 plus in mind condition (it hasnt left its otterbox defender case since i got it), and get enough to put towards a 10.5 ipad pro.

I see the prices on Ebay and Let go ranging anywhere from 500-1000 yet the places i usually trade stuff in (apple, gamestop) have no listings what so ever and like anyone i want to get the most for it (yes i know ill never get full retail price)

So A: has anyone done it, do you regret it and where do u get the most for it?
I come from a 5S and the X seems small. I mean, it is noticeably larger than the 5S, but it still seems small for some reason. You, coming from a Plus, will need to adapt.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
It seems from your initial post that the grass is always greener elsewhere. Have you ever considered making the most of what you've got and not always comparing to what others have got? Sounds like you'll always find a way to not enjoy your purchase.

These 'what should I buy?' threads always end up in a battle of 'buy the same phone as me or I will pour scorn and hatred on you'.

Get yourself to an Apple store, compare the 2 phones, and see if the shiny new X bauble gives you and that ridiculous dinosaur slab of an 8+ status anxiety.

BTW - I have an 8+ and I love it. I cannot take anyone seriously who is insecure enough to worry that other people will judge them by the phone they use.
OP is asking a fair question that I'm sure a lot of people have. He never alluded to any status envy or insecurities in his post. He only expressed that he's intrigued by the X and that his initial reservations don't seem to be an issue. Enjoy your phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.
You seriously won’t regret the X. I came from a 6S+ that I used since its release. Videos are better and I don’t mind the notch at all when fitting the screen.

This design spoils you. All my roommates have plus models and they feel ancient to me.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys.

I keep going back and forth weather i want to trade in my 8plus 256 gig for the X! I know its a thinner sized screen, im not crazy about the notch but my nephew who's got one says you dont even notice it unless you zoom into movies...etc..

Has anyone did this, how much did they get for the 8 plus (and where) and do they regret it?

Ive used the plus size phones going back to the 6 plus and while i love the size, its still after 3 years not perfect in the hands. I know i'd loose landscape mode (something i almost never use unless watching a movie) but theres just something about the x that keeps nagging me that like i almost dont want to admit how badly i want it.

I also recently sold my ipad pro 2 12.9 and i sorely regret doing that and thinking about buying a 10.5 inch in a month or so.

Do you think its possable, being how i got the 8 plus in mind condition (it hasnt left its otterbox defender case since i got it), and get enough to put towards a 10.5 ipad pro.

I see the prices on Ebay and Let go ranging anywhere from 500-1000 yet the places i usually trade stuff in (apple, gamestop) have no listings what so ever and like anyone i want to get the most for it (yes i know ill never get full retail price)

I came from the 7 Plus. Having a phone this small with such a large screen is refreshing. Try it out and see how you will like it.

Will!

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2016
I have been contemplating getting out of my 8+ to an X but I’m having a hard time swallowing the cost to do so.

I bought the 8+ on Verizon DPP and need to pay off 50% of the device before I can upgrade, I’m not sure that this switch is with worth around $500 after I factor sales tax and an additional upgrade fee. Perhaps that’s what I get for not waiting like I should have?

Suggestions on how I can do the swap from an 8+ without having to eat so much $ or use one of our other lines upgrade?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
8+ is indeed 7+ with minor tweaks. The buyers pay the money for the minor tweaks.

That's not really the mindset. Consciously, The buyer is likely not thinking they are buying an iPhone 8 for 'minor tweaks', they're buying an iPhone that has consistency of a four your design, Touch ID and they know exactly what they're purchasing because of what they're likely used to from an iPhone model under the 8 with the 6/6s/7. Not all consumers care about having newest features are capabilities in an iPhone, especially if they can't justify the price of The iPhone X.

Last edited:

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Not quite what you are looking for, but I did go from 7 Plus to the X. I really like the size, like the new interface, and like facial recognition.

shooter45acp

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2017
RI
I went from the 8Plus to the X and love it the screen on the X is bigger but narrower if you count the 8Plus's unused screen on top and bottom. Love the smaller profile and facial recognition was a winner for me.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Coming from a 7 Plus, I got an X at launch. The X is stunning. It feels great, looks great, and performs great. People have been begging Apple for a new design for years. This is it. I wasn’t going to miss out, no way.

Last night I recorded video of my daughter at a school play. Lighting was dim and I sat about 8 rows back. In 2x mode (telephoto lens) I got sharp, clear, stabilized footage. That’s definitely a step up from the 7 and even the 8 series doesn’t do telephoto as well. This is a real advantage that I will enjoy many times in the life of this phone. One of many.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
8+ to the X.

No regrets. Any loss of $ was due to listening to the BS on macrumors.

Should have waited for the X all along.

You can’t take those threads seriously. There are haters of everything in MacRumors Forums... or actually any discussion forums on the internet.

Reactions: 44267547

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I have been funny with the plus size models from the start. I initially got the 6 Plus when that released and ultimately traded it in for the 6.

When the 6s released I didn’t even look at the Plus just bought the regular size. I went with the 7 Plus and ended up trading it for the 7. Then I went with the 8 Plus and was firmly in that camp until I decided to really give the X an honest shot. I haven’t looked back.

I initially had a hard time with the thinner screen and when holding them side by side it was not nearly as significant as it felt. It’s almost like the bezels create an optical illusion on the width. I now have it 2 weeks and it has been better the longer I have it. We all have our preferences, my wife loves the size of her 8 Plus as much as I love my X. Great thing is, neither of us are wrong, and we are both happy with our decisions.

JamiLynee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2014
The PNW
Hey guys.

I made the same switch. My husband had the X and I found myself playing with his phone more than mine far more than I'd like to admit. I absolutely hate the look of the back camera. I have an Apple leather case on the back and that hides some of it but still. I will say, however, the screen is beautiful and I like the screen size to phone size ratio. The learning curve was not nearly as steep as I thought it would be for the new gestures but I still forget sometimes when I first wake up. It's better after I get going and the brain starts working. The facial ID isn't as creepy as I thought it would be. It works about as well as TouchId - I'd say like a 97% accuracy rate. The front camera is almost too good. Selfies look horrible. LOL. I absolutely love the animoji. Can't stop laughing, really. I wish they had more than the like 8 stock options. Oh well. I'm sure it'll expand later.

I'm holding onto the 8+ unless I change my mind but I'm about a week in and I really seem to enjoy the use of the iPhone X more.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Okay - people who say they don't notice the notch , lovely excuse , though you would have to be blind ;)

The easy answer, you can get one from apple for 14 days and try it side by side, you decide

Reactions: Yourbigpalal83

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Wait it out. It’s almost 2018. Wait for the X Plus.

You’ll be taking a loss on your 8+. Then you’ll be taking another loss on the X when the plus version comes out.

You should just wait it out at this point.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wait it out. It’s almost 2018. Wait for the X Plus.

On the contrary, It might be almost 2018, but the 2018 iPhone X could possibly launch as it did this November and could be almost mid November or later until somebody actually receives the X Plus. There is plenty of time to take advantage of the iPhone X, it's only been available for a month.

Last edited:

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Okay - people who say they don't notice the notch , lovely excuse , though you would have to be blind ;)

The easy answer, you can get one from apple for 14 days and try it side by side, you decide

If you zoom in on a movie and that notch shows, there is nothing to love. Outside of that, the notch if developers use it correctly is actually handy, the ears basically move the information out of the way and the rest of the screen can display the content. That’s where the love robin my case like comes in.

On the return period, if purchased now and paid in full, you have the extended Holiday return period.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
As long as price wise you’re ok with that and the different size factor you won’t be disappointed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.