Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Egregius

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2023
Beitem, BE
No, I don't hear any noise at all. I just feel the airflow on top of the screen.
Had another call with Apple. Safe mode, new user profile, diagnostic,... All to no avail. New appointment at repair centre.

Reactions: kattam

danbalsh

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2003
I know that app. But the maintenance wakes of the iMac have nothing to do with the Studio Display not sleeping at all. When I shutdown my iMac the display sleeps instantly and never wakes (power consumption <1W). If I put my iMac in sleep the display continuously consumes 12-15W energy.

I had a call with Apple Support yesterday. They told me that the problem is unknown to them. She also found lots of posts on the net but said that if people don’t contact them directly they can’t do anything about it.
Didn’t had time enough yesterday to complete the call. Will continue today…
ha, rubbish - I had a very long case open with them when the SD first came out, even had a call with a 'senior engineer' who took lots of sysdiagnos files... never heard back, I think it's a design problem, that can't be solved with software :(

kattam

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2021
ha, rubbish - I had a very long case open with them when the SD first came out, even had a call with a 'senior engineer' who took lots of sysdiagnos files... never heard back, I think it's a design problem, that can't be solved with software :(
Sorry to hear that. Well, I guess there will never be a solution to this lol

Egregius

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2023
Beitem, BE
If that’s the case then they can keep the display and refund my money. It’s not acceptable and there are regulations about it.

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I've been reading this thread which keeps popping into my notifications and I'm wondering what the big deal is. The fan is inaudible and the display itself is alseep with the backlight off. Is it really that big a deal? People talking about returning it and raising a big stink about it and all, it just surprises me.

If the fans were loud or it were affecting functionality I would understand, but it really sounds like this is a nothingburger?

kattam

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2021
I've been reading this thread which keeps popping into my notifications and I'm wondering what the big deal is. The fan is inaudible and the display itself is alseep with the backlight off. Is it really that big a deal? People talking about returning it and raising a big stink about it and all, it just surprises me.

If the fans were loud or it were affecting functionality I would understand, but it really sounds like this is a nothingburger?
For me it's not about the fan noise. Those I do not hear at all. It's just in the back of my head because while the Mac itself is in sleep mode I kind of wish the Display also stays in the sleep mode. There is no need for fan activity when neither the Mac nor the Display are awake and running. When the fans are running the Display consumes 12-14 W of power (compared to 1-2 W when I unplug the Thunderbolt cable) while supposedly to be asleep. I do not want to trigger anything with the Display when the Mac is doing its maintenance work because the maintenance work has nothing to do with the Display.

So my problem is the energy consumption and the lack of explanation of this behavior.

I've found the tool Sleep Aid to be helpful to keep the Display asleep at 1-2 W without unplugging Thunderbolt. It's all the maintenance work from the mac mini that also had an impact on the Display's sleep.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
My only theory, is that they run the fans 24x7 to cool the charging stuff that’s inside.

It’s annoying!
It might be that. I have a studio display here connected to a Mac Pro desktop and never notice the fans running.

I am also shutting down the computer overnight when it isn’t in use.

Egregius

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2023
Beitem, BE
Seems like they're going to replace a 661-25193 - Logic Board. Good thinking but I don't think it'll solve the problem.

kattam

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2021

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 17.13.13.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 17.13.13.png
    327.4 KB · Views: 20

Egregius

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2023
Beitem, BE
Thanks for the settings. For me they remove to much. Wake with keyboard not functioning and I use ssh to lock my iMac when we go to sleep or leave the house (during the day no password is needed to wake him).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.