Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heeroyuigo

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2022
@heeroyuigo - did you not post about how the new display works with your Mac Pro just a little while ago? I can't find the post now, did you take it down?
My message are
« This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors. »

But the display update crashed (15.3->15.4)

bundokbiker

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
Fairfax, VA
Are the adapter and Thunderbolt cable known to be working? Are you sure it’s a Thunderbolt cable, not a DisplayPort one? (Sorry for asking these basic questions…)
Does the Mac Pro recognise that something is plugged in? Check System Profiler’s output under PCIe, Thunderbolt and USB.
They're a known good cable and adapter since I've been using them without issue for years now.

EDIT: Updated the Studio Display to 15.4 and the trashcan lives!

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Updated the Studio Display to 15.4 and the trashcan lives!
So do all the features (brightness control, microphone, speakers with volume control, USB, webcam, ...) work?
What physical resolution is the display running at (use e.g. AGDCDiagnose or SwitchResX to check, because System Information's output is utterly useless)?

Last edited:
Reactions: SpotOnT

bundokbiker

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
Fairfax, VA
Brightness control, speaker control and USB ports work as expected. Webcam is a little weird. It works with PhotoBooth but FaceTime had issues recognizing it. I had to turn off Center Stage in order for it to work.

The display is scaled at 3200 x 1800 but it reports that it's physically running 5120 x 2880, if that's what you're asking.

Last edited:

heeroyuigo

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2022
the webcam don't work with FaceTime/skype but yes with Teams o_O
the micro, usb, speakers, volume,... its OK

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
The display is scaled at 3200 x 1800 but it reports that it's physically running 5120 x 2880, if that's what you're asking.
The 2013 Mac Pro cannot output 5120×2880 at 60 Hz via a single Thunderbolt 2 port. Neither can its AMD GPUs, for that matter. :)

Which is why I asked for information from e.g. AGDCDiagnose or SwitchResX.

Last edited:

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Can you upgrade the display to 15.4 using an iOS device, or does it have to be a Mac?

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Oh OK - but I'd be able to upgrade it to 15.4 using my new Mac Pro, and then use it on my old 2013 Mac Pro after the upgrade.

And it sounds like all functions work, except Facetime with Center Stage (I wonder if that is an update to Facetime), and of course it'll be at 4K output, upscaled to 5K on the display.

Reactions: bundokbiker

heeroyuigo

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2022
Oh OK - but I'd be able to upgrade it to 15.4 using my new Mac Pro, and then use it on my old 2013 Mac Pro after the upgrade.

And it sounds like all functions work, except Facetime with Center Stage (I wonder if that is an update to Facetime), and of course it'll be at 4K output, upscaled to 5K on the display.
Yes sorry, for the display update. Only with a recent Mac.

Reactions: bundokbiker

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
@heeroyuigo and @bundokbiker;

What settings are the best ones to set it up with then, and what does that look like? I.e. running macOS at 2560x1440, 3360x1890, or 3840x2160? How do these on the ASD? Are the fonts decent, and how about photo editing and video?

I know I am asking a lot, but I am really in doubt if I should get the ASD or the Dell U3223QE. I really want the glossy glass, but I also really like the 32" size on the Dell. This is for my 2013 MP and I will run the monitor between two ATDs.

nastysailboat

Cancelled
May 7, 2021
I use the apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter with a thunderbolt 2 cable to the 2013 Mac Pro and the display works. without updating to 12.3 you can't change the brightness. I'm installing the update now. Not sure what resolution I'm getting but it looks pretty good.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
because it provides much more info.
depending on the GPU. Different GPUs provide different amounts of info. The most info is provided by the newest AMD GPUs. The D700 and D500 are old - I would have to do a search to find how much info they provide. SwitchResX is probably the easiest method. Double click the currently select resolution in the Current Resolutions tab for the current display to see the current timing info including the active pixels and pixel clock.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I ended up going with the LG LG 32UL750-W, and I am so glad I did. 4K on a 32" monitor is just right, and I am sure I would have been upset at spending much more money, only being able to run 4K on the ASD, and possibly not even being able to have it at 4K as the text would be too small to read.

Also got a Logitech Brio Webcam to go with the LG, and as I am using a pair of HomePods for sound, I am happy...

Only thing is that I would have liked to try the Dell UL3223QE also, but I can't get that one to test out, without having to pay a restocking fee if I don't want it. The LG I can...

scottmack

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2022
Hi everyone.

I have a trash can MP and am waiting for a Mac studio. The Studio Display has arrived much faster…here are my conclusions/opinions so far followed by a bit more discussion below. Remember, your experience may differ from mine!
  • Connecting the Studio Display with an Apple Thunderbolt 2 cable and an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter works.
  • Since a single Thunderbolt 2/DisplayPort 1.2 port will not output higher than 4K the real output resolution will be 4K.
  • “Looks like" 2560 x 1440 looks better in 4K than it does on the old Thunderbolt Display (2.5K) but not as good as it looked on 5K (27" iMac) I was worried about potential fugliness others have raised but it wasn’t an issue.
  • SwitchResX will let you create a different “looks like” resolution to macOS’s System Preferences. But it will still be output at 4K, because that’s what a single TB2 connection can do.
  • The only way to get 5K out of the trash can (except perhaps with an eGPU) is to connect two of the thunderbolt 2 connections to a display that accepts dual DisplayPort 1.2 inputs and recognises them with the DisplayPort tile functionality. I have only read of three such displays all of which are out of production and now quite old. I've not found any adapters that will do this either but my search has not been exhaustive!
  • The camera is flaky so far…When it works I see the washed out colours reviewers have reported. It works with MS Teams and Photo Booth. When I try FaceTime, Skype or Zoom the green light activates but no picture comes through. I have no idea if this is an adapter issue or a video API issue or what. I think I'll have to wait until my Mac Studio comes to see for sure when I have no adapters in the way.
  • The speakers are great but I've also had a bit of flakiness. They weren't working this morning but power cycling the display and restarting the MP has fixed it. I've tried System Preferences (setting the alert tone), Apple Music and Deezer and get audio from all of them.
I bought my trash can two and a half years ago. I was swapping from a retina 27" iMac and my only concern was giving up too much in terms of display beauty and sharpness.

I initially bought an Apple Thunderbolt Display which is a 27" 2560 x 1440 (2.5K) monitor. It was seamless but I couldn't handle going back to non-retina!

I tried to find one of the Dell UP2715K dual DisplayPort displays because I wanted my Retina display back but couldn't find one. They are now quite old and it seems like they weren't the most popular display given their price at the time. Also, really, there weren't very many computers that could actually use them back then. 5K seems to have never really caught on outside the Mac world. Even now, if you go looking for screens for a PC many shops stop at 4K. Even for screens much larger than 27".

I bought an HP z27 4K screen which is quite a nice screen, sturdy base, non-plasticky design. macOS (then) gave me options to run it at various "looks like" resolutions including (sorry, imperfect memory) 1920 x 1080 (too big), 2560 x 1440 (matches iMac but I wanted a little more!), something that started with 3xxx which was too small and 3840 x 2160 (native resolution, way too small!).

"Looks like" 2560 x 1440 on the 4K screen was not fugly. It was much sharper than the Thunderbolt Display but noticeably not as sharp as the iMac had been. I was quite happy with it. Apparently the z27 was not a great screen for gaming due to refresh rates but I don't game much.

SwitchResX allowed me to use different "looks like" resolutions in between the ones that macOS gave me. I tried 2880 x 1620 and 2800 x 1575 and they were almost just right but in the end I went back to the 2560 x 1440 (Hmmm...did Apple get it right, or am I just getting older?)

I notice in Monterey that macOS gives me 2560 x 1440, 2880 x 1620 and 3200 x 1800 on the Studio Display which seems much more likely to please more people.

The MP used the Studio Display immediately through the Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter. I had a bit of weirdness after that when it seemed to stop sending video to it for a couple of restarts but it's fine now. I can't tell you what happened there. The MP is now 7-8 years old… In between I connected the Display to another computer to check it was working fine (partner's PC laptop which had TB3) and it was. I have it connected to the bottom left thunderbolt port on the MP (above the HDMI port) which is Thunderbolt bus 0, or in my head, the "first port".

The last thing to mention now that I have the Studio Display and until I get the Mac Studio is the 5K/4K/5K issue. With the HP display my MP was internally drawing the interface at 5K (retina for 2560 x 1440) then sampling it down to 4K to send to the 4K display. With the Studio Display my MP is internally drawing the interface at 5K, sampling it down to 4K to send to the display but the display is now resampling it to show on a 5K display. People may wonder if this creates any fugliness...it doesn't to my eye. I think it's just as nice as my HP was. But it's happening in there somewhere.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.