Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
17.3 RC, syncing to Mac only works when Apple Watch is turned off. Copies log files to Mac and deletes "some" log files from the iPhone.

Unplugging the iPhone when it's stuck at step 2 also works but doesn't copy/delete log files from the iPhone.
Final 17.3 public release is the same build as the 17.3 RC (21D50) so if it wasn't fixed in the RC it won't be fixed in the public release.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Did you mean to reply to someone else?
No. Some have said it may have been fixed in 17.3. Ohers said it wasn't.

But you said it wasn't fixed in the 17.3 RC. So since the 17.3 has same build as 17.3 RC it could not have been fixed in 17.3.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
No. Some have said it may have been fixed in 17.3. Ohers said it wasn't.

But you said it wasn't fixed in the 17.3 RC. So since the 17.3 has same build as 17.3 RC it could not have been fixed in 17.3.
I tested it during RC. I know RC and public are the same build so I didn't think I also needed to write another post saying not fixed in public 17.3 specifically.

@papbot Sync has been consistently working for me with the Apple Watch turned off. I have no clue why it isn't working for you. As for the auto-sync when connected, do you have the option checked in Finder when the phone is connected? I disabled auto-sync when the issue started.

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I tested it during RC. I know RC and public are the same build so I didn't think I also needed to write another post saying not fixed in public 17.3 specifically.
I think confusion has arisen by what others posted after your post about the 17.3 RC.

Some said it was fixed in 17.3 others said it wasn't.

However since the 17.3 RC has same build as 17.3 and it wasn't fixed in the 17.3 RC, it could not have been fixed in 17.3.

Things may have been different if they had a different build but they don't.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
I think confusion has arisen by what others posted after your post about the 17.3 RC.

Some said it was fixed in 17.3 others said it wasn't.

However since the 17.3 RC has same build as 17.3 and it wasn't fixed in the 17.3 RC, it could not have been fixed in 17.3.

Things may have been different if they had a different build but they don't.
I see.

From my own testing, it's not fixed in 17.3 BUT the workaround (Apple Watch turned off before connecting) works again, at least for me, which was not working in 17.2 and 17.2.1.

I don't think this bug affects people with iPhones that do not own Apple Watches, which may be why some people say it's fixed?

Also, seeing other posts from searches, it seems this issue has been a long-standing issue for some people, way before iOS 17 and Sonoma. Personally, I've never had a sync issue before iOS 17.

Reactions: levanid

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I see.

From my own testing, it's not fixed in 17.3 BUT the workaround (Apple Watch turned off before connecting) works again, at least for me, which was not working in 17.2 and 17.2.1.

I don't think this bug affects people with iPhones that do not own Apple Watches, which may be why some people say it's fixed?

Also, seeing other posts from searches, it seems this issue has been a long-standing issue for some people, way before iOS 17 and Sonoma. Personally, I've never had a sync issue before iOS 17.
It has even been an issue with syncing with Windows machines.

They have their own version of MDCrashReportTool and a workaround by renaming or deleting it. I don't think you can do that on a mac.

But perhaps no Windows/macOS/iOS/watchOS update could ever fix it if in fact it is a problem on apple's server side.

MDCrashReportTool is supposed to send crash reports to apple and if apple's servers are preventing receipt of such reports, this may be the reason the sync hangs at that point. It would also explain why killing MDCrashReportTool allows the sync to resume.

Last edited:
Reactions: levanid

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
It has even been an issue with syncing with Windows machines.

They have their own version of MDCrashReportTool and a workaround by renaming or deleting it. I don't think you can do that on a mac.

But perhaps no Windows/macOS/iOS/watchOS update could ever fix it if in fact it is a problem on apple's server side.

MDCrashReportTool is supposed to send crash reports to apple and if apple's servers are preventing receipt of such reports, this may be the reason the sync hangs at that point. It would also explain why killing MDCrashReportTool allows the sync to resume.
On Mac, you can't rename or delete the MDCrashReportTool with SIP enabled but you can easily kill the process in either Terminal or Activity Monitor and it will continue the stuck sync issue but won't copy and delete logs from the iPhone.

Also, interesting thought that it's an issue on the Apple server side. I haven't considered that until you mentioned it.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
As one of the minority of users who still regularly syncs to my computer, I wish I was aware of this before updated to iOS 17. I was lulled into a false sense of safety after finding no apparent issues after auditioning iPadOS 17 for a week.

This is one of the reasons why I hopped off the update hamster wheel, and accepted the security risk of running older versions of software. I'd rather have something that just works, and works completely, with the chance of compromise, rather than proceeding with something that ends up breaking basic functionality like this, as part of a self-inflicted wound of sorts.

Killing the process that triggers the issue does allow the sync to progress, but doesn't extract the logs from the device. A kludge at best.

I did find that powering off my Watch does restore the functionality.

FFS, Apple. Machine syncs for users who also own Apple Watches is not exactly an edge case that should escape detection, especially given the all the flavors of OSes, and platforms, where it has been reported.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
@papbot Sync has been consistently working for me with the Apple Watch turned off. I have no clue why it isn't working for you. As for the auto-sync when connected, do you have the option checked in Finder when the phone is connected? I disabled auto-sync when the issue started.
I have always had that setting checked. Prior to 17.0 it always worked. Turning off my Apple Watch now has no effect. Even killing that MDCrashreport process only results in the sync attempt quitting, a quick flash of the progress bar across the screen. But when checking no files were copied over so no sync occurs. It may appear that a sync occurs but if you have a large file such as a sysdiagnose one on your phone, these take about 10 seconds at least to be copied, more if you have more than one. So if the sync appears to quickly complete it never actually happened. I’m strictly an amateur at all this but it is puzzling why this doesn’t affect the iPads, mine syncs properly every time with all files copied over. However even with it no files are removed from the device, they are only copied over. Apple has apparently changed that function.

RobertoDLV

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2021
I wonder how I've been able to normally sync again since the last watchOS and iOS updates while others are still stuck. So strange. I may have deleted the previous iOS saves before syncing again. I've been doing it since the issue (keep them back-uped somewhere else though!). I'm also not sure that's the solution.

Last edited:

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
I’ve seen one post from someone who stated that the 17.4 beta restored his ability to sync his phone. So far that’s the only post I’ve seen. Any others here who have seen this resolved?

I’m also curious for those who sync content through Finder or iTunes - music, photos, etc. - is there 3rd party software or apps that perform the same function? I don’t sync content to my phone so this hasn’t been a big problem for me but I can imagine that it is for others.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Tried it again yesterday and the whole process completed properly. As soon as I connected the cable to my phone the sync began; it had stopped doing that some time ago even though I’ve always had that setting enabled to sync when connected. And the sync progressed with the displayed “copying diagnostic files” message on screen. So for now this is fixed. Remains to be seen whether they will break it once again.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
It’s still working for me as well. Diagnostics are not removed from the phone, that still doesn’t happen, but they are copied over to my Mac.

Reactions: gwang73

BriceApp

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2018
Winston-Salem, NC
This process seems to work for me to get almost all the logs off. I do have the “Share iPhone Analytics” button on, but that is the only one.

1. Sync with iTunes.
2. Turn off “Share iPhone Analytics“.
3. Sync with iTunes again.
4. Turn on “Share iPhone Analytics“ Again.

When I do this process almost all of them are gone from my iPhone. I do the same process with my iPad and get similar results.

Reactions: gwang73

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
1. Sync with iTunes.

When I do this process almost all of them are gone from my iPhone. I do the same process with my iPad and get similar results.
I will try it that way. Nice catch if this works!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
1. Sync with iTunes.

Guessing it's a placebo effect. Turning off Analytics wipes the reports, turning on starts fresh reports/logs.

So, if not actually doing any syncing of data (aka pictures, stuff outside of iCloud management, etc), can do the on/off thing and just skip the sync part.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Guessing it's a placebo effect. Turning off Analytics wipes the reports, turning on starts fresh reports/logs.

So, if not actually doing any syncing of data (aka pictures, stuff outside of iCloud management, etc), can do the on/off thing and just skip the sync part.
Hadn’t thought of that but it makes sense. Good suggestion. I don’t rely on syncs anyway.

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2013
UK
Just another to confirm ‘Sync success’. It took a while the first time as my photo library is stored on an external drive, but it updated my Sync’d photo albums without having to remove the albums completely and re-sync them again.

To clarify, I’m also on 17.4 Beta, but Sonoma is non-beta (I forget which version but is up-to-date).

Hopefully it stays fixed!

Reactions: gwang73 and papbot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.