Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Just tried m.youtube.com in Opera Mini 7.1 on my Nokia E52 (S60v3.2). Interface looks to be the same as on other mobile platforms/UAs; searching works. Videos are played at 176×144 in RealPlayer.

Last edited:

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Just tried m.youtube.com in Opera Mini on my Nokia E52. Interface looks to be the same as on other mobile platforms/UAs; searching works. Videos are played at 176×144 in RealPlayer.

That's how my Nokia 9300 and E61i used to do it - through RealPlayer. Fascinating that it still works and 3gp files are still there - shame that the youtube-dl devs however simply say Youtube no longer does 3gp.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
There seems to be a common connection between many members in this forum and Nokia Symbian-based mobile phones...

The draw of "obsolete" technology knows no bounds!

DSC03968.JPG

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
If the OS was still updated I'd happily use my Nokia E6 as my main phone :)

There's a custom firmware for the E6 called Belle Refresh Enhanced. Download. I have yet to try it but from what I can see it's not as new or "comprehensive" as Delight.
[automerge]1573940287[/automerge]
As far as I'm concerned, all it needs to do is make calls, save contacts, have basic Web browsing, take photos, and play music.

I'd love to be able to second this, but many of my acquaintances insist on relying on WhatsApp as their sole means of communication. :( Sure, I could carry two phones but... I don't really want to.

Last edited:
Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I'd love to be able to second this, but many of my acquaintances insist on relying on WhatsApp as their sole means of communication. :( Sure, I could carry two phones but... I don't really want to.

I know that situation...

WhatsApp, with its hyper-modern system requirements, Facecrook parent, and probable backdoors / spyware is bad enough as is. Now you need to haul that garbage around just to keep in touch with people who can't be bothered to use normal contact methods (phone, email, sms) just to keep communications with you?

Perhaps it is because I don't have critical requirements to link with these circles (for whatever reason), but I'd personally rather cut contact with those types of folks if that's the way they insist on living, while consequentially dragging everyone in their address book down with them, whether they agreed to it or not.

Maybe it's just me... or maybe it's a matter of how comfortable one is living life solitarily...

Last edited:

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
You need an N8, E7, C7, or 808, but there is one updated OS heralded by the community...

Yes, I did look into it - Delight for the E6 was meant to be on the way...but that was 9 months ago, guess the dev moved on.

There's a custom firmware for the E6 called Belle Refresh Enhanced. Download. I have yet to try it but from what I can see it's not as new or "comprehensive" as Delight.

Yes, it's pretty old unfortunately.
[automerge]1573942608[/automerge]
Success on my E6 - I switched to Opera Mini instead of Opera Mobile, that catches the 3gp file and passes it to the internal video player...but the Opera proxy server compression is savage!

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

[automerge]1573943144[/automerge]
Perhaps it is because I don't have critical requirements to link with these circles (for whatever reason), but I'd personally rather cut contact with those types of folks if that's the way they insist on living, while consequentially dragging everyone in their address book down with them, whether they agreed to it or not.

Whilst I kind of agree, people who aren't remotely computer literate won't see any distinction or problem with such apps - not because they're dumb or ignorant, it's simply not in their field of view.

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Whilst I kind of agree, people who aren't remotely computer literate won't see any distinction or problem with such apps - not because they're dumb or ignorant, it's simply not in their field of view.

And yet the very same people had no problem with email, SMS, or phone calls for the 20 years before WhatsApp existed, but oh, now they're suddenly out of style because I can do everything right on my iPhone.

What's infuriating is the badly-placed hypocrisy and unaware field of view in this digital age where knowledge and awareness is so critical, especially in people who insist basing their social life on one online platform. In this climate, you really can't afford to be in the clouds.
[automerge]1573944236[/automerge]
I checked on the few seconds of the clip I watched, Opera Mini condensed 1.2Mb of data down to 87Kb!

That explains the quality...

Even the 1990's had better resolutions!
[automerge]1573944416[/automerge]
Yes, I did look into it - Delight for the E6 was meant to be on the way...but that was 9 months ago, guess the dev moved on.

I spoke with one of the developers earlier this year about a 1.8 / 6.7 release (to fix several bugs), and he told me that if there was a succeeding version, it would most likely come out somewhere around the August timeframe.

Guess that's out of the picture, too...

Last edited:

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
And yet the very same people had no problem with email, SMS, or phone calls for the 20 years before WhatsApp existed, but oh, now they're suddenly out of style because I can do everything right on my iPhone.

What's infuriating is the badly-placed hypocrisy and unaware field of view in this digital age where knowledge and awareness is so critical, especially in people who insist basing their social life on one online platform. In this climate, you really can't afford to be in the clouds.

I think the bottom line for most people is WhatsApp is "free" - endless text chatting, even over cellular networks, is cheaper than sending txts and when tethered to wifi - no cost.

The greater issue you're pointing to is just the sad direction our culture/society is heading - you can resist it all you want but most people are blissfully unaware and happy to be lead into digital slavery...

Reactions: Raging Dufus

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I think the bottom line for most people is WhatsApp is "free" - endless text chatting, even over cellular networks, is cheaper than sending txts and when tethered to wifi - no cost.

The greater issue you're pointing to is just the sad direction our culture/society is heading - you can resist it all you want but most people are blissfully unaware and happy to be lead into digital slavery...

And if you tell them all about it, 8 out of 10 times they still won't change.

These problems are just too greatly widespread to not take notice. It's blissful, willful ignorance. They will indeed be happy to take the path of least resistance, damn the unforeseen consequences, as long as they're able to chat with their buddies. That's all that matters.

A most sad, sad direction indeed...

Reactions: Raging Dufus

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
I checked on the few seconds of the clip I watched, Opera Mini condensed 1.2Mb of data down to 87Kb!
Opera Mini was the browser I downloaded to an old Blackberry Bold phone that couldn't play YouTube in the browser anymore. Opera Mini does the exact same thing with the Bold, 144p video and awful mono sound quality. The sound quality sounds like 16kbps or maybe.. even 8.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
WhatsApp, with its hyper-modern system requirements, Facecrook parent, and probable backdoors / spyware is bad enough as is. Now you need to haul that garbage around just to keep in touch with people who can't be bothered to use normal contact methods (phone, email, sms) just to keep communications with you?
I'll give it to WA that Symbian was only cut off at the end of last year, long after the OS had "officially" been declared dead (but we know that doesn't mean much to folks like us ;)). The other problem is that to most people, WA has become a normal contact method - I have often heard people I've exchanged phone numbers with follow up with "We'll chat via WA, ok?" without even asking whether I have or am OK with WA. Likewise, I've gotten strange looks from people after explicitly asking them not to use WA for contacting me. Even worse, WA is used for business-related communication by some of the people I know, so not having WA would literally cut them off their jobs.
[automerge]1573989972[/automerge]
Success on my E6 - I switched to Opera Mini instead of Opera Mobile, that catches the 3gp file and passes it to the internal video player...but the Opera proxy server compression is savage!
It's the same on my E52, videos are essentially unwatchable.

Another thing is that children use WA as well (nevermind that this is against WA's terms of use) and they're even more naive when it comes to what's going on behind the scenes.
[automerge]1573990240[/automerge]

The deal I'm on gives me 2 GB of data per month, unlimited calling and unlimited texting and it's nothing special. So I'd be inclined to say the "WA is free" argument has lost some of its momentum, unless you don't have mobile data and rely on free WiFi. It's become a matter of convenience and ignorance.

Last edited:

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
That's how my Nokia 9300 and E61i used to do it - through RealPlayer. Fascinating that it still works and 3gp files are still there - shame that the youtube-dl devs however simply say Youtube no longer does 3gp.
Youtube obviously does 3gp, my old blackberry plays 3gp videos from YouTube using opera mini. Same with our Macs running tiger.
Unfortunately for OS9, (and the entire internet who uses genyt), genyoutube is now useless, it fails to provide any download links at all no matter what device or browser I’ve used.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
genyoutube is now useless, it fails to provide any download links at all no matter what device or browser I’ve used.

Unfortunately https://invidio.us is also no longer showing download links either.
I'd imagine a new browser for OS9 is not beyond reach in theory but it would require the work of a professional coder with a fair bit of free time to complete the project.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Unfortunately https://invidio.us is also no longer showing download links either.
I'd imagine a new browser for OS9 is not beyond reach in theory but it would require the work of a professional coder with a fair bit of free time to complete the project.
I haven’t used classilla in forever and I got in on my new iMac, and I can’t even get YouTube to load at all anymore and I can’t sign in to google due to a JavaScript error (or it being disabled)
Is there a fix? I want gmail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    902.9 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.