Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Shameful how West Ham have treated Moyes, even if it does feel like the project with him has run its course, especially lately.

Meanwhile, Man Utd go into tonight's game against Crystal Palace with exactly zero fit CBs. Should be amusing to see how they cope, probably with Casemiro and Amrabat doing the defending. Yikes.

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Re- West Ham. It seems a mismatch.

They (WH) aren't exactly known for splurging money, yet they've appointed someone who threw a hissy fit at Wolves and left for the same reason

🤷‍♂️

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I see now West Ham have made a statement saying that he is leaving the club at the end of the season. It is still a disgrace that they allowed news reports to surface that they had already agreed a deal with another manager before making a statement that Moyes was to leave the club. Moyes has done a great job at West Ham and this is how they repay him by agreeing a deal with a new manager before announcing their current manager is leaving.

Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Shameful how West Ham have treated Moyes, even if it does feel like the project with him has run its course, especially lately.

Meanwhile, Man Utd go into tonight's game against Crystal Palace with exactly zero fit CBs. Should be amusing to see how they cope, probably with Casemiro and Amrabat doing the defending. Yikes.
Having no fit CB's will make the Arsenal game an interesting one and even the FA Cup final with City because with no fit CB's both teams will tear United apart.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Palace 2-0 up. I bet Arsenal and City fans are rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of playing United seeing how badly they are playing tonight.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
3-0 Palace. Predictably bleak. Can easily see United lose every single one of their remaining matches.

[Edit: 4-0. I'm fitting a paper bag to cover my head and conceal the shame. How long can INEOS hold on before cashing out ETH?]

Last edited:

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Really wish we didn't have Utd next at OT.
You just know they'll decide to play as if their life depended on it, and Fernandes will be fit again.

Casemiro's decline has been staggering
Johny Evans at 36 shouldn't be anywhere near a EPL starting 11
Ditto for Eriksen...he should switch leagues

I don't think ETH has any recourse beyond this season

I hear Moyes is available...

Last edited:

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
I lived in Crystal Palace (Upper Norwood) for a while a few years back.
The Palace supporters hated Utd, mostly as aresult of the Cantona flying kick incident.
They'll be partying in the streets tonight!!
What a result.
I watched the after-match discussion with Scholes and Owen - they were suitably scathing of the team and the lack of good coaching they appear to be getting. They mentioned Mclaren a few times as a very good and tactically aware coach - I assume he is behind the scenes there at Utd, but they said this team showed none of his influence.
Interesting....
Will Ten Hag still be there next season? Or is it time to clean house?

Reactions: brucemr

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I lived in Crystal Palace (Upper Norwood) for a while a few years back.
The Palace supporters hated Utd, mostly as aresult of the Cantona flying kick incident.
They'll be partying in the streets tonight!!
What a result.
I watched the after-match discussion with Scholes and Owen - they were suitably scathing of the team and the lack of good coaching they appear to be getting. They mentioned Mclaren a few times as a very good and tactically aware coach - I assume he is behind the scenes there at Utd, but they said this team showed none of his influence.
Interesting....
Will Ten Hag still be there next season? Or is it time to clean house?
Steve Mclaren has proven whilst previously at United and at other clubs that he is a very very good assistant coach BUT I cannot see any of his influence this time around at United. He helped Derby win promotion to the premiership whist being assistant to Jim Smith and then had a stella few years at United, not only winning the treble but also every league title during his time as assistant to Alex Ferguson (1999-2001). Steve Mclaren is highly regarded at United for what he helped the club achieve and I feel this has become a hinderance to ETH because his assistant is more regarded by the club and the fans than he is. Mclaren is well aware of high intensity pressing attacking football, something that worked very well for Derby to win promotion to the premiership and United in winning the treble and the league 3 years running. Fans are seeing none of that with this United team under ETH.I personally do not think ETH is using his assistant's experience to extent he should be.

Reactions: Silencio

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
Steve Mclaren has proven whilst previously at United and at other clubs that he is a very very good assistant coach BUT I cannot see any of his influence this time around at United. He helped Derby win promotion to the premiership whist being assistant to Jim Smith and then had a stella few years at United, not only winning the treble but also every league title during his time as assistant to Alex Ferguson (1999-2001). Steve Mclaren is highly regarded at United for what he helped the club achieve and I feel this has become a hinderance to ETH because his assistant is more regarded by the club and the fans than he is. Mclaren is well aware of high intensity pressing attacking football, something that worked very well for Derby to win promotion to the premiership and United in winning the treble and the league 3 years running. Fans are seeing none of that with this United team under ETH.I personally do not think ETH is using his assistant's experience to extent he should be.
That last sentence of yours is exactly what the pundits were saying - and they were obviously not happy about it.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
This was funny...
In a football game in northern Sweden, the referee paused the match for snow shoveling. The goalkeeper took advantage of the pause and went to release himself outside the soccer field.
However, the referee started the game while he was busy with his pressing needs. The other team took advantage of the situation, and could roll in the ball in an empty goal.
The referee however disallowed the goal because of that, and the game ended 3-4.
But the team that made the 'sh#t-goal' in an empty goal have turned in a protest now as the want the result to be either 4-4, or that the game will be replayed. What a sh#t 😂

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
This was funny...
In a football game in northern Sweden, the referee paused the match for snow shoveling. The goalkeeper took advantage of the pause and went to release himself outside the soccer field.
However, the referee started the game while he was busy with his pressing needs. The other team took advantage of the situation, and could roll in the ball in an empty goal.
The referee however disallowed the goal because of that, and the game ended 3-4.
But the team that made the 'sh#t-goal' in an empty goal have turned in a protest now as the want the result to be either 4-4, or that the game will be replayed. What a sh#t 😂
Sounds like goal should've stood. Play to the whistle as they say.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
This was funny...
Was this recently?

On other news looks like someone that was at MU is playing the CL final.

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Tomorrow the prediction around here is 29°.
Last week was a bit chilly but it's seems Summer wants to leap over Spring.
If it is about degrees only, you’re on the wrong thread, and so is this post.
I wrote in the Hot hot hot! thread recently that we had 24-25° last week in west Sweden.
It’s big differences in weather in our country - we have it all.

Reactions: timber

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Real Madrid do it again, steal it in the dying mins of the game but oh man that mistake by Neuer is going to haunt them and then Tuchel takes off Bayerns attacking threat to go defensive and Madrid go and score two quick goals. Massive mistakes made by Bayern today.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
This is one of the reasons i don't consider Tuchel an elite manager. Goes defensive when his team failed to win the Bundesliga because of its leaky defence.

Typically, Real never know when they're beating and given they've won the trophy 14 times...you can't blame them.

Fairplay to Joselu. Felt like the football gods wanted to write a crazy story.

A guy who used to play for Stoke, and is on loan to Madrid from Espanyol (a team currently playing in the second division), scores the two goals that defeats Bayern...a club which he partly owns.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Seeing the way Real Madrid play in the Champions league reminds me of the way Man United played when they won the cup in 1998-99 on their way to the treble. In that game United were done for losing 1-0 to Bayern Munich but United were playing a 'never say die' type of game because they fought to the very end, never giving up and that never say die attitude got them scoring two quick fire goals. Madrid always seem to play with that attitude as well they fight for the win right to the very end whereas with other teams we see them from attack to defence which tends to result in them losing when they are playing Madrid. Time and time again we've seen it with Madrid, we think they are out and yet they come back to prove us wrong. Madrid always go for the win, they never seem to play defensively to hold onto a win unlike other teams. I wonder if this is what makes them so successful, they always fight for the win rather than play a tactical game of going on the defence. We saw that with United in 1998-99 game and it worked very well, they fought and fought right to the end and it paid off.

It could also be down to a measure of trust between the players and the manager because it seems Real Madrid managers always have the trust that the players will fight for the win and therefore does not need to change anything even if they are losing whereas other team managers does not have that same level of trust which is why when they have a slender lead they go defence to hold onto the lead which tends to result in a loss because Real constantly attack. It's a thought worth thinking.

Reactions: brucemr

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Mixed emotions
Immensely proud of the lads and Mikel. Not entirely happy with the offensive performance today but another impressive defensive display
Saliba probably played his best game in an Arsenal shirt this season

Club record 27 wins already...yet it won't be enough. Crazy.
Still, i'm content with the season and the trajectory.
If we can get De Jong and Gyokeres or similar in the summer i'll be content.

In the interim, i patiently await the outcome of the 115 charges and subsequent fallout for the EPL, Pep, and City as a club.
Also curious to see what happens with Chelsea and Utd in the summer

In any case i probably won't post again until next season

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Mixed emotions
Immensely proud of the lads. Not entirely happy with the offensive performance today but another impressive defensive display
Saliba probably played his best game in an Arsenal shirt this season

Club record 27 wins already...yet it won't be enough. Crazy.
Still, i'm content with the season and the trajectory.
If we can get De Jong and Gyokeres or similar in the summer i'll be content.
An excellent result from Arsenal.

Still top, still challenging, still competing.

Moreover, accusations of being brittle and "bottling" do not apply this season.

Yes, it looks as though a club record of 27 wins (already) will be insufficient, a situation Liverpool also suffered the year they ran City close, losing out by a point, having secured a record number of wins and points, with one single, solitary defeat during the season.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In the interim i patiently await the outcome of the 115 charges and subsequent fallout for the EPL, Pep, and City as a club.
Also curious to see what happens with Chelsea and Utd in the summer

In any case i probably won't post again until next season
Yes, I have been wondering about that, as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.