Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Treated myself to a nice selection of cheese at the cheesemonger's, while in the city, yesterday.

These included:

Roquefort, Bleu d'Auvergne, and Birbablu, three blues, the first two from France and the last from Italy.

Époisses (glorious and almost liquid), Camembert Rustique (wonderfully ripe), and Reblochon; three semi-soft cheeses from France.

Schnebelhorn, (an excellent hard cheese from Switzerland), the stunning Queso de Cabra al Romero (an amazing goat's cheese from Spain, that is rubbed with a generous amount of rosemary), and Tomme de Normandie from France.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
There were cheeses purchased last week-end that I forgot to mention here:

Three blues: Forme d'Ambert, and Roquefort (from France),

Semi-soft, or washed rind cheeses: Camembert Rustique, Époisses, and St Nectaire (all, also, from France),

and,

Hard Cheeses: Aged Goat's Gouda (from the Netherlands), and Raclette (from France).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A few cheeses were purchased today:

Two blues: Bleu d'Auvergne, and Forme d'Ambert (both from France);

Camembert Rustique (glorious, and oozing), from Normandy, France, a little mature Gubbeen, from Ireland, and, to round out the selection, (for, I still have some goat's Gouda from last week), I also treated myself to half an almost liquid piece of Chaource, (from Burgundy, France), and a slice of Raclette from Savoie, also in France.

Bread was collected from the French bakery (where it awaited me), and this evening a glass of wine from France may well make an appearance.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
A few cheeses were purchased today:

...I also treated myself to half an almost liquid piece of Chaource, (from Burgundy, France), and a slice of Raclette from Savoie, also in France.
Raclette, isn't that the cheese used in that dish where the top of the block is melted and scraped onto other foods (can't remember the name of the dish itself)? I've always wanted to try that (fondue is the closest I've been).

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Raclette, isn't that the cheese used in that dish where the top of the block is melted and scraped onto other foods (can't remember the name of the dish itself)? I've always wanted to try that (fondue is the closest I've been).

It can be used - prepared, served - that way, - melted, as a fondue, and served with cold cuts and gherkins, or pickles - (and very often is), but, at the moment, I am simply serving it (and consuming, or eating it), as a standard cheese.

Actually, it is a superb breakfast cheese, especially when served with something such as salami, and fresh French bread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.