Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
The reality is that desktop computers don't sell as well, so whenever there's too much on the table for Apple's notoriously "lean" product design teams, you might see delays in updating them. Even when doing so seems like a wide-open slam dunk, e.g. putting M2 in the iMac or M3 in the mini.

There's another reason why Notebooks sell more than desktops. They don't last as long. Their usage has a much higher abuse rate, they are more complex, they are more fragile and they are stuffed together. So people replace them more often, which means they are more profitable. No wonder computer makers like Notebooks.

Reactions: Chuckeee

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
There's another reason why Notebooks sell more than desktops. They don't last as long. Their usage has a much higher abuse rate, they are more complex, they are more fragile and they are stuffed together. So people replace them more often, which means they are more profitable. No wonder computer makers like Notebooks.
Yes. But I am a massive nerd and even I only know like 3 people with desktops of any kind. Almost everyone only have laptops. I know more people who only have phones and an iPad than people with a desktop. I find it sad but it’s how things are now. Two decades ago I saw desktops everywhere.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Yes. But I am a massive nerd and even I only know like 3 people with desktops of any kind. Almost everyone only have laptops. I know more people who only have phones and an iPad than people with a desktop. I find it sad but it’s how things are now. Two decades ago I saw desktops everywhere.

Mac desktops most of my life, with a single MacBook for 6 or 7 years, then back to desktops (currently a Win10/3900X/RTX2700 box), considering just going with a Xbox and an iPad Pro, but would buy a Cube if Apple made a new one...?

Reactions: altaic

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Mac desktops most of my life, with a single MacBook for 6 or 7 years, then back to desktops (currently a Win10/3900X/RTX2700 box), considering just going with a Xbox and an iPad Pro, but would buy a Cube if Apple made a new one...?
But are you not the minority in your social circles too? I’ve needed laptops for university and such. My work computer is a laptop. But aside from that I’ve always used desktops too. I wish my work computer were a desktop too frankly. I’d happily leave it at the office and work from home on my iMac. But just take the laptop home w set day even though I am allowed and do work from my iMac at home.

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
But are you not the minority in your social circles too? I’ve needed laptops for university and such. My work computer is a laptop. But aside from that I’ve always used desktops too. I wish my work computer were a desktop too frankly. I’d happily leave it at the office and work from home on my iMac. But just take the laptop home w set day even though I am allowed and do work from my iMac at home.
I was on a MacBook Pro all this while , Now I’ve decided to make the jump to MacMini . I just realised that my laptop is on the desk all the time and owning a desktop is far better , it’s more robust , no battery or screen issues to deal with etc .its just a far better purchase that is unlikely to fail

altaic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
What’s stopping you from using your iMac? If it’s because of work-device-hence-work-controls-and-owns-all-data, laptop vs desktop won’t solve that.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
What’s stopping you from using your iMac? If it’s because of work-device-hence-work-controls-and-owns-all-data, laptop vs desktop won’t solve that.

I explicitly said that I am allowed to work from my iMac at home, and I do exactly that. I do work on my iMac, when I work from home.

But I need to bring home my work laptop too. I am not allowed to just leave it at the office.
I wish I had a stationary desktop at the office instead of hauling the laptop back and forth when it's never used outside of the office anyway and I just have to spend the time plugging in the monitors, power cable, etc. at the office

altaic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
I explicitly said that I am allowed to work from my iMac at home, and I do exactly that. I do work on my iMac, when I work from home.

But I need to bring home my work laptop too. I am not allowed to just leave it at the office.
I wish I had a stationary desktop at the office instead of hauling the laptop back and forth when it's never used outside of the office anyway and I just have to spend the time plugging in the monitors, power cable, etc. at the office
Why are you not allowed to leave your laptop at the office? I don’t see the difference between an at-work-desktop and a left-at-work-in-desk-laptop.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Why are you not allowed to leave your laptop at the office? I don’t see the difference between an at-work-desktop and a left-at-work-in-desk-laptop.
Oh nobody understands that part. That's mandated by the insurance company who will not insure laptops that remain in the office outside of "the device room" (which is as annoying to lock up as it is to just bring the laptop home). They will insure desktops, monitors and other "fixed" items, but laptops are not covered if they remain in the office. Logic does not exist for this.

altaic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2004
Oh nobody understands that part. That's mandated by the insurance company who will not insure laptops that remain in the office outside of "the device room" (which is as annoying to lock up as it is to just bring the laptop home). They will insure desktops, monitors and other "fixed" items, but laptops are not covered if they remain in the office. Logic does not exist for this.
In that case, I suggest that you mind**** them with device stickers & such to declare reality. Or harass the insurance company. Best of luck 🤞

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.