Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
US ignorance? It's not ignorance to say that Maps works well/better here. It just stating a fact. It looks like Poland (among other countries) is poorly supported. I'd use the services that are better in your geographical area.
That may have been a language issue. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this.

Reactions: StonewallBrown

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
That may have been a language issue. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this.

Nah...I think that's the correct term in many cases.

Here in the US, we account for the majority of users...and I've been on many of the Maps threads since it was introduced and there are many who simply have no sympathy for users in other countries.

And to be fair, an integrated "feature" like Maps (and Siri) for the most part, should be up to a certain standard in areas where the phones are sold by Apple.

Not saying they should be as good...probably impossible based on resources...but better than what is shown in a lot of cases.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
I exclusively use Apple Maps as my go-to navigator at work, and for me it has been good enough to use on a daily basis. When I say good enough, I mean that it will get me to the correct (and by this I mean right in front of the correct building at the exact address) 7 times out of ten. The rest of the times I arrive on the right street, which honestly is good enough for me. When arriving somewhere new I tend to look at the street numbers anyway, and very rarely find a parking space right in front of the building so some back and forth will always happen until the car is parked and I'm at my destination.

For some people this will probably be insufficient, but for my needs it hits significantly more than it misses, so I'm sticking with it.

This is in Finland, mostly southern parts but not exclusively.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Still waiting for Polish language prediction in keyboard, then buildings numbers in Maps and details like mentioned. Maybe after 5 years from now we might have Siri speaking Polish (she refuses to answer when will she speak our language ).
That's why for maps I choose Google Maps and Maps.ME (also open street maps app ). No offline mode in Apple Maps is a joke...

Reactions: g-7 and IGI2

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Not saying they should be as good...probably impossible based on resources...but better than what is shown in a lot of cases.

I appreciate the head-start by Google, etc., but if Waze, before being acquired by Google, could have had more accurate maps, why can't Apple with all their cash?

I also seem to remember reading here a while ago that Apple were trying to patent Waze-like user report features for their Maps, like road closures, accidents, etc. And they would have it for free.

Fingers crossed for their Hyderabad Development Office and its 4000 mappers! ;)

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
Google maps is the superior product. I use Apple maps on my work iphone, only because it is integrated into our work apps.

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I appreciate the head-start by Google, etc., but if Waze, before being acquired by Google, could have had more accurate maps, why can't Apple with all their cash?

I also seem to remember reading here a while ago that Apple were trying to patent Waze-like user report features for their Maps, like road closures, accidents, etc. And they would have it for free.

Fingers crossed for their Hyderabad Development Office and its 4000 mappers! ;)

I think the simple answer is that they don't want to trust users to make the changes directly....or do what Google did which is really a combination of the two by having a large staff to control and handle user feedback and verification. I think Apple wrongly assumed that purchasing the data from so many different sources would be accurate enough to hit the ground running.

mthomas184

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2016
Cupertino
Well...that sucks...I'm still using Waze for my commute simply for police notifications, but have been using Maps for directions and it has been incredible.

I use Apple Maps for local commutes but Waze for long distance. So I agree 110% with the police notifications. They are on point.

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I think the simple answer is that they don't want to trust users to make the changes directly....or do what Google did which is really a combination of the two by having a large staff to control and handle user feedback and verification. I think Apple wrongly assumed that purchasing the data from so many different sources would be accurate enough to hit the ground running.

Not trusting their users is sad, why would anybody be willing to willingly sabotage the Maps data? Besides, if they simplified the issue reporting, it would be easier to verify as many different people would be reporting the same thing. Apart from map changes as such, they could at least allow for reporting problems in a simpler way, Waze-style, say road closures, accidents, etc? Or just act quicker on the already existing reports which they must have quite a few by now. Hence my hopes for their Indian mapping initiative...

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
Not trusting their users is sad, why would anybody be willing to willingly sabotage the Maps data? Besides, if they simplified the issue reporting, it would be easier to verify as many different people would be reporting the same thing. Apart from map changes as such, they could at least allow for reporting problems in a simpler way, Waze-style, say road closures, accidents, etc? Or just act quicker on the already existing reports which they must have quite a few by now. Hence my hopes for their Indian mapping initiative...
I can only speak for myself and my region. For about the past 4-6 months, every report I or my wife have given Maps, we've seen it corrected and gotten a notification with in a week or so.

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I can only speak for myself and my region. For about the past 4-6 months, every report I or my wife have given Maps, we've seen it corrected and gotten a notification with in a week or so.

I posted it in another thread I think, but there has been a new entrance to a major highway that has been in place for more than two years and causes people to turn across the main road to enter instead of just turning right into the entrance.

I've suggested the change multiple times.

Maps directs you turn left across the main road to enter.
ad53f8e6236cac0191e88e5296f6e16e.jpg

Their own satellite image shows the new onramp that lets you just turn right to enter.
3ab4994fa8115b246f6674babdca3a9f.jpg

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2015
US ignorance? It's not ignorance to say that Maps works well/better here. It just stating a fact. It looks like Poland (among other countries) is poorly supported. I'd use the services that are better in your geographical area.
It's not a language problem. It's not about you either. But there were people on this forum who blindly claimed they're good and let's just keep that slow progression. But that's not the case in countries like Poland. Slow progress won't cut it. We need rapid improvements.

And, again, that's an example of US ignorance. There is an opinion not in my favor? Language problems, English is ours and they don't understand it ;)

So I have to clarify, it wasn't a language problem. It was about this US-self-love which keeps you blind.

Nah...I think that's the correct term in many cases.

Here in the US, we account for the majority of users...and I've been on many of the Maps threads since it was introduced and there are many who simply have no sympathy for users in other countries.
That!

Apple Maps were loading your satellite image that slow so you couldn't wait one sec longer before making a screenshot? :D
[doublepost=1473703091][/doublepost]Don't sweat it, guys! (or should I use simpler words for uneducated Americans? Because lately I talked with some American guy and he didn't know the words: morality, serendipity or morbidity)

Even Tim Cook admitted recently that they don't see further than the end of their noses:
"To all of us living in Cupertino, the maps for here were pretty darn good. Right? So [the problem] wasn’t obvious to us."
You understand now? So it wasn't even a technical, progression, or any kind problem.
They, just like typical Americans, didn't know there is a world outside the US :)

Let me be clear, they know they:
"We had completely underestimated the product, the complexity of it. All the roads are known, come on! All the restaurants are known, there’s Yelp and OpenTable, they have all the addresses. The mail arrives. FedEx arrives. You know, how hard is this?"

But now, they went back to the same thing, they improved the app, but the data in Poland hasn't change since launch. And I'm not talking about POIs, I myself have added hundreds of POI and it works fine. Just roads don't change.

IMG_0118.PNG IMG_0291.PNG
IMG_0304.PNG IMG_0306.PNG

So I'm asking you, Americans, what if... some said that they constantly work to improve, that they know they have to improve, that they know they may have neglected, bla bla bla, and then.... NOTHING IMPROVED and NOTHING IMPROVES (Past Simple and Present Simple on purpose) actually, not a single road has been added. Just some POIs from different databases, Yelp, OpenTable, Parkopedia, TripAdvisor. But no actual road changes.

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
It's not a language problems. It's not about you either. But there were people on this forum who blindly claimed they're good and let's just keep that slow progression. But that's not the case in countries like Poland. Slow progress won't cut it. We need rapid improvements.

And, again, that's an example of US ignorance. There is an opinion not in my favor? Language problems, English is ours and they don't understand it ;)

So I have to clarify, it wasn't a language problems. It was about this US-self-love which keeps you blind.

That!

Apple Maps were loading your satellite image that you couldn't wait one sec longer before making a screenshot? :D
[doublepost=1473703091][/doublepost]Don't sweat it, guys! (or should I use simpler words for uneducated Americans? Because lately I talked with some American guy and he didn't know the words: morality, serendipity or morbidity)

Even Tim Cook admitted recently that they don't see further than the end of their noses:
"To all of us living in Cupertino, the maps for here were pretty darn good. Right? So [the problem] wasn’t obvious to us."
You understand now? So it wasn't even a technical, progression, or any kind problem.
They, just like typical Americans, didn't know there is a world outside the US :)

"We had completely underestimated the product, the complexity of it. All the roads are known, come on! All the restaurants are known, there’s Yelp and OpenTable, they have all the addresses. The mail arrives. FedEx arrives. You know, how hard is this?"

But now, they went back to the same thing, they improved the app, but the data in Poland hasn't change since launch. And I'm not talking about POIs, I myself have added hundreds of POI and it works fine. Just roads don't change.

View attachment 650643 View attachment 650644
View attachment 650645 View attachment 650646

So I'm asking you, Americans, what if... some said that they constantly work to improve, that they know they have to improve, that they know they may have neglected, bla bla bla, and then.... NOTHING IMPROVED and NOTHING IMPROVES (Past Simple and Present Simple on purpose) actually, not a single road has been added. Just some POIs from different databases, Yelp, OpenTable, Parkopedia, TripAdvisor. But no actually road changes.
Alright...now I'm going to take exception to your blatant anti-Americanism. Last I checked, there aren't too many Polish smartphone manufacturers, are there? You may feel free to criticize specific posters (of whatever nationality) for being ignorant of the issues you are having, but do not broad brush an entire country, without the existence of which, your nation would be a province of the Soviet Union, ok?

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2015
without the existence of which, your nation would be a province of the Soviet Union, ok?
That's just proved my point.

And BTW, more issues were covered. I was just defending my previously stated opinion which was said with A PINCH OF SALT.

But please stay on topic ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: MozMan68

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Apple Maps doesn't have a lot of building data outside of major cities (the ones that say 3D when zoomed out). Google has a lot more local building data in smaller towns and cities in the US. Hopefully Apple will work to address this, because it's one of the most useful things in a mapping solution, in my opinion.

Reactions: IGI2

MozMan68

macrumors 603
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Apple Maps were loading your satellite image that slow so you couldn't wait one sec longer before making a screenshot? :D

It gets stuck sometimes....I typically use the map and not the satellite image, so I'll blame it on a cache issue and not maps...

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
It's not a language problems. It's not about you either. But there were people on this forum who blindly claimed they're good and let's just keep that slow progression. But that's not the case in countries like Poland. Slow progress won't cut it. We need rapid improvements.

So I have to clarify, it wasn't a language problems. It was about this US-self-love which keeps you blind.

That!

View attachment 650643 View attachment 650644
View attachment 650645 View attachment 650646

So I'm asking you, Americans, what if... some said that they constantly work to improve, that they know they have to improve, that they know they may have neglected, bla bla bla, and then.... NOTHING IMPROVED and NOTHING IMPROVES (Past Simple and Present Simple on purpose) actually, not a single road has been added. Just some POIs from different databases, Yelp, OpenTable, Parkopedia, TripAdvisor. But no actually road changes.
I disagree with just about every generalization you just typed out. That said, you are entitled to your opinion. My opinion, is you'd get more sympathy, if you weren't so presumptuous. Non of the posters here(as far as I know)work for Apple. It seems your anger is a bit misplaced.

It sucks that Maps doesn't work well in your country. However, you've said there are better mapping app options for you. I guess your only choice is to stick with what works.

Reactions: g-7 and gwhizkids

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2015
I disagree with just about every generalization you just typed out. That said, you are entitled to your opinion. My opinion, is you'd get more sympathy, if you weren't so presumptuous. Non of the posters here(as far as I know)work for Apple. It seems your anger is a bit misplaced.

It sucks that Maps doesn't work well in your country. However, you've said there are better mapping app options for you. I guess your only choice is to stick with what works.
Oh you just can't notice my positive things. I'm not mad or angry, that's just how it is. Maybe you're too touchy, yesterday I was listening to "Time Crisis with Ezra Koenig" Episode 25 on Beats 1 and he was laughing about ignorant Americans himself, maybe that's why it got stuck in my head.

Please stay on topic ;)

S8ER01Z

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
My biggest pet peeve is how off the navigation is when I'm driving. The voice announcements ('Turn Left now') always happen too late, if I'm not 100% sure of where I am turning I can be nearly past an intersection before it happens. I tend to memorize landmarks ahead of time so I know exactly where to turn otherwise the turn by turn experience will bite me at some point.

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2015
My biggest pet peeve is how off the navigation is when I'm driving. The voice announcements ('Turn Left now') always happen too late, if I'm not 100% sure of where I am turning I can be nearly past an intersection before it happens. I tend to memorize landmarks ahead of time so I know exactly where to turn otherwise the turn by turn experience will bite me at some point.
My mom also has this problem, she was complaining that those voice announcements are off and she has to check the screen. I mean, for me it's no problem but my mom has different glasses to see ahead while driving.

Maybe a simple switch "How often do you want voice suggestions?" would be nice :)

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
UK maps are outdated too. Reported stuff to Apple lots of times but they ignore any changes. didn't they just get a new building of staff dedicated to the maps cause?

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
I'm not
Oh you just can't notice my positive things. I'm not mad or angry, that's just how it is. Maybe you're too touchy, yesterday I was listening to "Time Crisis with Ezra Koenig" Episode 25 on Beats 1 and he was laughing about ignorant Americans himself, maybe that's why it got stuck in my head.

Please stay on topic ;)
I'm not touchy. I acknowledged your frustrations and suggested that you stick with what works for you.

Keep an eye out on the forums, or check the Maps app every 6 months or so, to see if it's better in your location. Good Luck.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Major metropolitan Los Angeles and other areas of California, Nevada, Arizona, as just a few examples.

I have not had a single problem in SoCal (Santa Barbara -> San Diego, and everything in-between) or in Nevada with Apple Maps. Wonder what issues you are experiencing.

Reactions: The Mad Hatter

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
That's why I started this topic. Some US ignorants still think it's some kind of an unfunded irrational hatred without any rationale behind it.
I'm a US ignorant and Apple Maps sits comfortably in my "Do Not Use" Apple apps folder.
[doublepost=1473711846][/doublepost]
I have not had a single problem in SoCal (Santa Barbara -> San Diego, and everything in-between) or in Nevada with Apple Maps. Wonder what issues you are experiencing.
Apple Maps drove me straight past a Starbucks this month, in Central Cali.

Reactions: IGI2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.