Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sunsster1988

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2019
Hello all, today I would like to safely give you most of what I know about the upcoming iOS 17.

Control center has big changes!

Dynamic island does way more (thanks to marketing department)

More Always on display settings

A few more Focus mode filters

CarKey and wallet app implementations

Active widgets in testing*

Camera app changes**

notifications changes/options

Custom Accessibility settings

Health app favorites gets new layout

Heavily improved search

A metric ton of ARkit APIs/frameworks

Supports:

A11+ iPhones all supported from iOS 16. Including iPhone 8 and iPhone X.

iPads are iffy, 17 might support them all, but *could* drop A9, and even A10. This will be decided by a dedicated QC team in the coming weeks. (So will iPhoneOS/iOS, but it’s 100% certain the A11 Bionic chips and up will pass with flying colors.)

First few beta cycles may end up being rough for devices with 3gb of ram (standard iPads, iPhone 8/X) but will improve to become a more stable and efficient update for all devices ***especially*** the older ones. it will be their last update.

Performance, efficiency, stability and long-term support for older devices are the main features of this update.

The iPhone 15 Pros are still on track to receive capacitive/haptic buttons. The latest rumor claiming they will not is false, Apple still has plans for this to be a huge feature.

Please refer to the Tweet here, I’m hoping to start use it more →
The 15 pros will have physical buttons not haptic buttons. Because of design issues with their iPhone 15 pros.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I'm still on the belief that A11 Bionic devices and other older chipsets may be kept on iOS 16 and iPadOS 16
Two reasons I doubt this:
1: The amount of iPads that would be cut off in one update would be enormous. You'd be cutting off all iPad Pros from 2015-October 2018, and the iPad fifth, sixth and even the seventh generation, which was only introduced in 2019, six months or so before the lockdowns began. I don't think Apple is ready to start dropping their latest devices during the worst of the pandemic.
2: It's been 7 years since Apple has dropped iOS devices from the latest software two years in a row. 11 and 12, then 13, 14 and 15 all had the same list, I expect 16 and 17 to follow this same trend.
Maybe A9 and A9X iPads get cut, but even then I expect everything else to stay the same.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
iPhone 4s wants to have a talk with you...

iOS 9 may not be as buggy as iOS 16 but the performance on iPhone 4s makes me think Apple should have left it on iOS 8

If Apple is able to iron out all the issues with iOS 16, A11 Bionic devices may no longer get the iOS 17 update, however if it will be like iOS 12, performance fixes with some new features, iOS 17 will likely be the last update...

I'm still on the belief that A11 Bionic devices and other older chipsets may be kept on iOS 16 and iPadOS 16
LOL. So your leveraging your response on Apple ironing out all the bugs in iOS16? That pretty much guarantees A11 devices will get iOS17.. Apple never irons out all the bugs, they just move on to the next version and pretend like everything is working fine.. Then they'll tell you you need a newer device that can run the latest version of iOS.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Two reasons I doubt this:
1: The amount of iPads that would be cut off in one update would be enormous. You'd be cutting off all iPad Pros from 2015-October 2018, and the iPad fifth, sixth and even the seventh generation, which was only introduced in 2019, six months or so before the lockdowns began. I don't think Apple is ready to start dropping their latest devices during the worst of the pandemic.
2: It's been 7 years since Apple has dropped iOS devices from the latest software two years in a row. 11 and 12, then 13, 14 and 15 all had the same list, I expect 16 and 17 to follow this same trend.
Maybe A9 and A9X iPads get cut, but even then I expect everything else to stay the same.
I agree. I'm betting iOS18 gets rid of A9/9X, A10/10X and A11 devices...

Fatwalrus93

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2023
They say the camera app changes may be limited to 15s only. I’ll be very disappointed if that’s the case. I hope they do something about the post processing

Reactions: sorgo †

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
Hello all, today I would like to safely give you most of what I know about the upcoming iOS 17.

Camera app changes**

Heavily improved search

Supports:

iPads are iffy, 17 might support them all, but *could* drop A9, and even A10. This will be decided by a dedicated QC team in the coming weeks. (So will iPhoneOS/iOS, but it’s 100% certain the A11 Bionic chips and up will pass with flying colors.)

First few beta cycles may end up being rough for devices with 3gb of ram (standard iPads, iPhone 8/X) but will improve to become a more stable and efficient update for all devices ***especially*** the older ones. it will be their last update.

Performance, efficiency, stability and long-term support for older devices are the main features of this update.

The iPhone 15 Pros are still on track to receive capacitive/haptic buttons. The latest rumor claiming they will not is false, Apple still has plans for this to be a huge feature.

I stopped believing it when I read a QC team will device about the ipad support.

We all know Apple doesn’t have a QC team

drak22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020

Camera app changes**

Heavily improved search

Supports:

If there are changes, or improvements in the camera interface, it will surely be limited to the iPhone 15, or at most, they would add it to the 14.
Hopefully at some point in May some captures can be filtered 🤞

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
If there are changes, or improvements in the camera interface, it will surely be limited to the iPhone 15, or at most, they would add it to the 14.
Hopefully at some point in May some captures can be filtered 🤞
I think if they update the overall GUI in the camera app, it would be changed across all devices supporting iOS 17. Any new camera features may likely be limited to just the 15 series. So look and feel would be the same across all devices supporting iOS 17 but features will vary from phone series to phone series.

maxrest

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2021
Really excited about the dynamic island doing more! I really like the concept of the DI and wanted apple to add even more functionality to it so glad to hear about this in iOS 17

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Considering that I won't upgrade to iOS 17 until summer of 2024 in addition to an additional year of security updates for iOS 17, I likely don't need to upgrade to a new iPhone until fall 2025. Woohoo!

Reactions: jchap

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
I wished you could get some notifications only in a certain focus mode. E.g. I get ~120 emails/day at work and have my work email in the outlook app and my private emails in mail. I only want to get notifications from outlook (or message notifications from teams) when my work focus is activated (automatically by location) - and none when there's no focus activated. Imho, that's not possible atm - only if I switched to another focus. I could setup an automation shortcut to switch to another focus when I leave work, but I'm not sure if that would interfere with other location based foci. Or am I missing something?

Glasses incoming.

Last edited:

kylew1212

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2017
Huntsville, AL
All I want is health/activity on iPad.

Then watchOS workout app to support ant+ sensors for biking.

I know I know.. The watch doesn’t even have an ant+ capability. But there is still a small glimmer of hope that it does and just hasn’t been enabled similar to the HomePod temperature sensor.

Reactions: jchap and Jordan246
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.