Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Well that would benefit one part of it anyway. I'd also be interested in a scientific measurement to address those claiming that the 2017 iMac's fan is louder than previous generations.

I detected zero difference in max fan noise between my 2017 iMac and Late 2013 iMac.

There is no argument, however, that at high RPMs the iMac's fans are loud. I'm glad I almost never hear them.

Again, most of us are not stating that it is louder than the 2015. Just that it gets to the same level of noise as the previous models, but in a shorter time.

Max fan noise is the same when I tested it. But the 2017 one got there faster.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
I think this noise debate would benefit of actual measurement of sound level in dB.

I did that with my Late-2009 i5 vs 2017 base iMac. The 2017 model averaged around 5 decibels louder.

Not the best test since I was using Blue Microphone through an iPhone running a noise measuring app. Also dealing with lots of outside noise. But I took 10 samples from both computers and averaged them out. Probably the best I could do without having completely sound proof room.

iPadified

macrumors 68010
Apr 25, 2017
I did that with my Late-2009 i5 vs 2017 base iMac. The 2017 model averaged around 5 decibels louder.

Not the best test since I was using Blue Microphone through an iPhone running a noise measuring app. Also dealing with lots of outside noise. But I took 10 samples from both computers and averaged them out. Probably the best I could do without having completely sound proof room.
Thank you. 5 dB is significant!

jeffbax

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2004
Man... dB measurements or videos of these under load would really settle this a lot. I'm very between right now with concerns about heat and whether it'd be that loud for me on conditions under consistent load (pretty much only games for me). Most things that I do for work under load are short lived (compiling) so a little fan noise there isn't bad... just afraid that the machine would otherwise be louder than my 2013 15" MBP i7 which is pretty silent under normal usages.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Man... dB measurements or videos of these under load would really settle this a lot. I'm very between right now with concerns about heat and whether it'd be that loud for me on conditions under consistent load (pretty much only games for me). Most things that I do for work under load are short lived (compiling) so a little fan noise there isn't bad... just afraid that the machine would otherwise be louder than my 2013 15" MBP i7 which is pretty silent under normal usages.

dB is not that bad. It is not like an airplane taking off. And it is the same as previous generations. The only issue I had with it is that it reached the same level of dB faster for this generation.

My custom built PC's fans are more noisy idle than the 2017 i7 iMac was under load :(

iPadified

macrumors 68010
Apr 25, 2017
dB is not that bad. It is not like an airplane taking off. And it is the same as previous generations. The only issue I had with it is that it reached the same level of dB faster for this generation.

My custom built PC's fans are more noisy idle than the 2017 i7 iMac was under load :(
So what dB reading do you get?

Huddy

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2009
My experience with the i7 was that the known issue of the 7700K often spiking in temps to 90+ degrees and the way the iMac responds to that brief spike was leading to the fan maxing too often and presenting what I considered a noisy machine even with moderate loads.

You don't need to look very hard to see numerous reports from PC users with the 7700K doing exactly the same but unfortunately de-lidding is not a realistic option for Mac users. These are hot chips and Intel cheaping out on the TIM doesn't help.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
While setting up my new (i7 4.2) iMac today I had the chance to hear the fans a few times during a full scan of the SSD and some other installation tasks. During the Cinebench CPU test, temps jumped from 38 to 47, and fan speeds went from 1200 to 2500 RPM.

I've no complaints about noise so far. I expect the fans to rev up during high performance tasks to cool things down. At lower RPMs I don't hear them at all.

Last edited:

cica114

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2017
While setting up my new (i7 4.2) iMac today I had the chance to hear the fans a few times during a full scan of the SSD and some other installation tasks. During the Cinebench CPU test, temps jumped from 38 to 47, and fan speeds went from 1200 to 2500 RPM.

I've no complaints about noise so far. I expect the fans to rev up during high performance tasks to cool things down. At lower RPMs I don't hear them at all.

That`s interesting...because I`ve got other temperatures.(see attachment) I was using Cinebench 15 and Macs Fan Control 1.4.8.1 Maybe Macs Fan Control is not yet compatible with the new IMac? Can you screenshot your Cinebench test with temperatures as I did for me? Thank you and have fun with your "cold" CPU ;)

Attachments

• xxx.png
    xxx.png
    634.4 KB · Views: 207

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
That`s interesting...because I`ve got other temperatures.(see attachment) I was using Cinebench 15 and Macs Fan Control 1.4.8.1 Maybe Macs Fan Control is not yet compatible with the new IMac? Can you screenshot your Cinebench test with temperatures as I did for me? Thank you and have fun with your "cold" CPU ;)

Sure, here you go:

Screen-Shot-2017-09-16-at-3.12.10-AM.jpg

This one ran a bit cooler. Fans revved up during the middle of the test (but they weren't loud) and then right back down after it was over.

ETA: I used fanny widget to monitor fan speed and cpu temp:
http://fannywidget.com/

Last edited:

cica114

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2017
1.png
2.png
3.png
Thanks a lot for the quick information!

1.png
Made the same test as you with Fanny
I think the temperature Fanny shows, is CPU proximity…as these two temperatures are nearly the same.

2.png
used TG Pro 2.26 for the same test
Don`t know how accurate this is...

3.png
10 to 15 seconds after the rendering

Last edited:

Chidorin

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2017
there is new stuff inside kabylake, timeshift(smth like that), improved hyperthreading. And as stats show it has literally instant temp jump from 30-40C upto 100C and that's strange because "is it physically possible"? As intel states 7700k is not for OC (may be because of that thing they've added, on purpose?) and they are against OC in general. As some testers state 7700k right after jump upto 100C and also some time under those temperatures is physically cold
P.S. May be that's why the thread name is not smth like "You can boil water with new iMac"

Last edited:

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
When I had my i7 I could see on Intel Power gadget that simply opening a program could make temps jump 30degC. This is a well documented fact with the 7700K (and to a lesser extent also true on the 7600K - 20 degC jump). This is a feature in the thermal spreading from the CPU to the heatsink. As has been stated - some PC users have delidded - put new thermal spreading compound in and fixed this behavior. Not really an iMac option. Although I am sure this behavior is fine for reliability (no huge outcry of failed CPUs) - it does rub against the grain (as in - not good engineering practice) for me as a long time EE designer. A significant point of failure for ICs is thermal cycling and the stress it puts on any solder, wire bond or other attach points. Thermal cycling fatigue is worst with either large or rapid temperature changes - the 7700K has both of those.

For tasks that put a constant load (not maxed out one) on the CPU there is a near instantaneous temp rise and if the base operating conditions were a constant load to begin with (say 60degC CPU temp) then it can easily hit the point of ramping the fan - once the peak load goes away all is soon quiet again. This is the behavior that if it went on 20X per hour (10 to 30 second at a pop) it would drive me crazy - and in my case that is quite possible :).

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
1.png
Made the same test as you with Fanny
I think the temperature Fanny shows, is CPU proximity…as these two temperatures are nearly the same.

I think you're right. I've downloaded fan control and got similar results.

Screen-Shot-2017-09-16-at-3.29.30-PM.jpg

5 seconds after the test:

Screen-Shot-2017-09-16-at-3.29.35-PM.jpg

Very end of OpenGL:

Screen-Shot-2017-09-16-at-3.23.25-PM.jpg

Personally, I think I'm going to be fine with the i7 and I'm glad I chose it over the i5. I know when the fans are going to kick in for my usage. For everything else it's been very quiet so far.

I just kicked the fans up to 2700 RPM in Fan Control, and it's definitely quieter than my rMBP is at full load.

Last edited:
Reactions: cica114

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I’ve had my base model (+1TB SSD) for 24hrs now and can subjectivity and anecdotally state that it’s SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than my 2009 model.

I won’t pretend to know what others’ do/don’t sound like.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I’ve had my base model (+1TB SSD) for 24hrs now and can subjectivity and anecdotally state that it’s SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than my 2009 model.

I won’t pretend to know what others’ do/don’t sound like.
Which 2009? i7?

Do you have the i5 7500 now? If so, I suspect you will never hear the fan ramp up unless you're in an unairconditioned place in hot weather.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Which 2009? i7?

Do you have the i5 7500 now? If so, I suspect you will never hear the fan ramp up unless you're in an unairconditioned place in hot weather.
The ‘09 was an i5 and I didn’t hear much fan noise most of the time.

Yes, the i5 7500.

I don’t expect to hear much, but this thread has folks complaining that their i5’s are noisy.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
Which 2009? i7?

I had the i7 2012 iMac (with the fusion drive), and then stock 4K iMac from when it was first released. I can say my 2017 iMac (i7 with 1TB SSD) is basically silent. Under load, it doesn't get any louder than either machine from what I can remember. Overall, I find it much quieter than the 4K iMac.

jeffbax

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2004
Well, I took the plunge and got an i7/580/1TB SSD (it seems like B&H and Adorama often have this config $200 off at $2899 so I snagged one) -- haven't done a ton yet as there's a lot to move off my MacBook pro before I can work on it the same but so far its pretty quiet at idle, haven't stressed it much yet though.

kwillems

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2017
I've got my i7/580/1TB SSD a couple of days now and ... wow ... it's a beast! I used to work on an iMac i7 mid 2010, so for me this is a giant leap.
I really love the machine and yes ... it's noisy from time to time. I've to admit: I didn't expect it to be. I think of it the same as with my car. I prefer to take the red Ferrari to drive to the office, my wife drives a Toyota. And although my Ferrari is much noisier, I definitly prefer it over the Toyota. :)

But serious, is there anyone that has experimented with measures to 'mute' the noise? In basic it's all a matter of aerodynamics. For example: the air flows through a ventilation grille at the back of the iMac. I guess making a big hole at the position of the ventilation grille will reduce the noise in some way. Just a feeling; definitly not an expert.

Does anyone have ideas on this?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I've got my i7/580/1TB SSD a couple of days now and ... wow ... it's a beast! I used to work on an iMac i7 mid 2010, so for me this is a giant leap.
I really love the machine and yes ... it's noisy from time to time. I've to admit: I didn't expect it to be. I think of it the same as with my car. I prefer to take the red Ferrari to drive to the office, my wife drives a Toyota. And although my Ferrari is much noisier, I definitly prefer it over the Toyota. :)

But serious, is there anyone that has experimented with measures to 'mute' the noise? In basic it's all a matter of aerodynamics. For example: the air flows through a ventilation grille at the back of the iMac. I guess making a big hole at the position of the ventilation grille will reduce the noise in some way. Just a feeling; definitly not an expert.

Does anyone have ideas on this?
You have the same 2010 iMac I have and the same 2017 iMac I first bought. My solution was to return the 2017 i7 and get an i5... which obviously has lower performance.

Otherwise you'll have to turn off turbo boost or something if the noise matters to you. However, that decreases performance too.

However, if the noise is infrequent enough for you, you may get used to it.

Reactions: kwillems
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.