Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kentuckienne

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
No>me<where
IMO, the 2012 Mini's have gotten so cheap that it doesn't make sense tinkering with a dead one unless you enjoy that kind of thing. At MacSales (OWC) you can get the base 2012 Mini for about $60 including a limited warranty (I'm sure there are other places to find them too). If you max it out as a 2.6ghz quad with 16gb RAM and a 256gb SSD, that's still only $280 in "excellent condition" with warranty. I paid $1300 for that exact same machine from MacSales in 2016!
It was such a great machine until it wasn't. I added an SSD drive and installed the OS on that, with the 1 TB spinner for data. Booted quickly and was still working well for me when the video started failing. First everything would turn orangish... then would get better. Then the display started being interlaced with black vertical lines, like looking through vertical blinds. I managed to get it where I could see well enough to be sure all was backed up to external drives. I was using an LG monitor and I think HDMI, could have been mini-display port. The setup has been dismantled a while and I moved the cables.

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
But will there be an M4Pro mini? I am not sure if that is a sure thing
Everything M4 (other than the announced iPad Pro) is speculative at this point. But Max Tech did bring up some good points about how we probably won't see an M3 Mini if the M4 chip drops today (it did).

This is quite good news because if he's right (about Mini's skipping over the M3) we'll get a somewhat larger performance bump going straight to an M4.

I feel i'm in a pretty good position because my 2018 i5 Mini is holding up really well for what I do. So I can wait this thing out and perhaps grab an M2 Pro, an M4 (speculative), or an M4 Pro (speculative) in a year or more when it's sorted out.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Everything M4 (other than the announced iPad Pro) is speculative at this point. But Max Tech did bring up some good points about how we probably won't see an M3 Mini if the M4 chip drops today (it did).

This is quite good news because if he's right (about Mini's skipping over the M3) we'll get a somewhat larger performance bump going straight to an M4.

I feel i'm in a pretty good position because my 2018 i5 Mini is holding up really well for what I do. So I can wait this thing out and perhaps grab an M2 Pro, an M4 (speculative), or an M4 Pro (speculative) in a year or more when it's sorted out.
I wonder if the reason why we haven’t had the M3 CPU in more products is because Apple don’t intend for it to linger too long in the supply chain due to its experimental N3B node size (So called evolutionary Dead end).

Therefore the A17Pro probably won’t go into next years iPhone 16 (non pro) but we will get a variant of it on a more common node and potentially cheaper to make with better yield (there will be room to do the usual deactivate a single GPU core to up the valid CPUs).

it could in theory allow the iPhone 16 to be a bit thinner than the 15 because of the more efficient process. Kind of like how the M4 iPads are so much thinner than the M2 ones.

back to the mini though, the M4 makes the more sensible choice as cpu over the more expensive and difficult to make M3 cpu due to the N3B process used. It may explain why Apple aren’t using the A17 pro in the iPad mini - a smaller process but cheaper to make A17 (non pro) makes more sense in the iPad mini but we might not see stocks of that till October due to iPhone 16 getting first dibs on it And Apple wanting people to pull the trigger on the m4 iPads instead.

nobullone1964

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2018
it certainly would be nice but I don’t think that is a certainty. I think the release of a mini M4 pro is tied to M4 Studio which in turn is linked to the successor to the M2Ultra (Whatever it might be called)
We'll see. The Studio starts with a Max chip and ends with an ultra. Remember that the M1 Mini didn't have a pro chip. That was added with M2 and I don't think Apple will drop that spec from the Mini. The Mini can be introduced with the laptops when they are announced because of the pro chip those laptops use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.