Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Personally I think its a good use of the space as well as it's implemented properly... would be nice to have certain colours that you could allocate to app notifications etc.

Reactions: Jeven Stobs

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
The speaker cutout will most likely be where it is on the iPhone 12 and 13, in the top edge of the phone. Here is the picture from Apple's tech specs page for the 13. You can see where the ear speaker is on the top edge. It's how on the 12 and 13 they made the notch narrower.
Thanks for the info! I currently own the 12 Pro Max so wasn’t sure where they moved it for the 13.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
How come the Samsung S22 has just a small hole?

Samsung-Galaxy-S22-Review-Finding-That-Flagship-Sweet-Spot-techloaded247.jpg

Reactions: jamesrick80

nighthawk12

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
I think we are about 5 years out from a small hole design on the front. Unless they get rid of the face scanner. I just do not see it happening anytime soon.

I think we are about 5 years out from a small hole design on the front. Unless they get rid of the face scanner. I just do not see it happening anytime soon.
You might be right. Apple will not release it until they get it 100% right. However, separating from a notch is a welcome change for an iPhone.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Ok, so another question that hopefully isn't as stupid as my last one.

Why not take this pill shape and... push it up against the very top of the frame?
My guess and it’s purely that, is perhaps the front facing camera module needs the space from the top to fit behind the screen and therefore the blackout is aligning to where the camera sensor has to be?

Reactions: 1@@@

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
I gotta say it does look kind of clean...

Symmetrical, in the middle, looks kind of like a speaker hole.

That's a lot of high-tech camera set up in there though, I don't think that's stressed enough. No one has that type of security yet and it's been 5 years.

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2021
Fantastic. NOW it looks unlike any other phone out there. Never seen one quite like this. And I am constantly looking. I challenge anyone to show us another phone (with link to where it can be bought) that looks like this WITH bezels nearly as thin or thinner.

The software blackout is brilliant, and smacks of Apple.

Now smack me with that price-jump, keep it at 128gb, and that will provide the nice Apple 1-2 ooh-ouch that I’m used to!
This is exactly what I was thinking. Apple has a history of one-upping their own rumors and a design like this fits that pattern perfectly. This all feels very Apple (the design language and everything) to me and I'll be surprised if this isn't the route they take

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
My APL engineer-buddy tells me the pill/punch hole will indeed be hidden via software, I’ve been shown a glimpse of what we’re getting and I’ve tried my best to re create what I know.

There will be a elongated pill shape,
In between the camera and sensor housing the display will show notification dots (similar to Mac’s LED camera status indicator) for things like active microphone (orange), active camera (green), etc.

The camera app will also have a slight rearrangement, not much info on that but I did the best I could to show what it’ll be like.
Hey there, thanks for the leak. If your buddy knows anything about the new iPad Pro just let us know, please.

However, there’s a low chance for him to know, because of how isolated are some areas from others inside Apple.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
Hey there, thanks for the leak. If your buddy knows anything about the new iPad Pro just let us know, please.

However, there’s a low chance for him to know, because of how isolated are some areas from others inside Apple.
My neighbors , aunts , uncle
, step sister works for Apple . None of this is true. 😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.