Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
Only little niggle is when the pencil is stored on the pad--after moving the pencil flap out of the way, the front cover sort of sits recessed into the rear part of the case, and you have to insert your finger in the pencil gap to open the cover. A small finger grab like on the Zugu case would have been a careful thought.

The otterbox symmetry cover has a small piece of metal on the front flap to make opening it easier. Maybe there was a technical reason for not continuing that?

As for the flap separating, ogun7, I noticed that I was suspending the iPad from the flap and expecting the case front to fall forward. Of course it’s held tight by magnets, so I’m working on a new habit, especially after seeing the pencil flap fail.

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
View attachment 806847 I loved this case until the flap started separating from the back clear composite:
Wow, that's disappointing.
[doublepost=1543368719][/doublepost]I signed up on the Otterbox website to be notified when the Black "Starry Night" cover for the 12.9 Gen 3 iPad becomes available a week or so ago. I received an email about the Otterbox Cyber Monday sale offering the cover @ 30% off to email inquirers, making the case $69.95. But of course there was no way to preorder at this price. I called customer service and after the representative I talked with contacted a supervisor they agreed that offering a discounted price for an item that has not yet been released and could never be ordered at the advertised price was not the best business model. They took my name and email and made a note on their system that once the case was available I could call Customer Service and get the discounted price. I was pleased with this resolution.

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Wow, that's disappointing.
[doublepost=1543368719][/doublepost]I signed up on the Otterbox website to be notified when the Black "Starry Night" cover for the 12.9 Gen 3 iPad becomes available a week or so ago. I received an email about the Otterbox Cyber Monday sale offering the cover @ 30% off to email inquirers, making the case $69.95. But of course there was no way to preorder at this price. I called customer service and after the representative I talked with contacted a supervisor they agreed that offering a discounted price for an item that has not yet been released and could never be ordered at the advertised price was not the best business model. They took my name and email and made a note on their system that once the case was available I could call Customer Service and get the discounted price. I was pleased with this resolution.
That annoyed me as well. I only signed up with Otterbox to be informed of the black Symmetry case, but I get hit with black Friday offers to buy products but not for what I wanted. Great, I willingly signed up for some more spam. :confused:

Wish I thought to contact customer service as well. Excellent thinking.

Reactions: ARH1956 and gjr74

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
That was fast.

Heavy, and not durable. I’ll pass on this one.

I can’t agree with your assessment. It is not much heavier than other full cases but IMO provides significantly more protection. I like it because it is a rest. compromise between a massive case and the folio.

So far mine has shown no issues with flaps

megatronbomb

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Portland, OR
Where are y’all gettting these cases. They’re not available on apple or otter box sites.
I got mine from Apple just a couple of days ago (online, not in the store, though my local stores had stock). I just looked at the Apple site, and they're on there. At least for US customers. iPad/Accessories/Cases

Reactions: nicho

darksoul78644

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
I got mine from Apple just a couple of days ago (online, not in the store, though my local stores had stock). I just looked at the Apple site, and they're on there. At least for US customers. iPad/Accessories/Cases
Damn no luck in my area. Not even shipping till like dec 20

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
I’m returning mine. It’s a minor niggle, but I just couldn’t deal with the glossy, scratch-prone clear back. I would’ve been 100% satisfied with a frosted back. Oh well, my bad.

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Both colors? or still only the gray?
Only gray.

Matter of fact when I went, they don't even have the cases out for display. If I didn't look online, I'd never know that the stores had them in stock.

I imagine it's a good move on Otterbox's part. You can imagine they will sell more black versions, so putting out the gray first to a hungry audience insures that one sells. Then they can go back and hope to double dip from the same crowd when they release the anticipated black version, along with getting anyone who still waited.

BraeburntPie

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2018
UK
I'm warming up to the grey but if they sold black since the start I would've gotten that instead. Does anyone else find that their iPad doesn't fit quite right into it? Maybe I'm being overly picky but when mine is in the case, I can still see the silver border on most of the sides when it seems like the rubber edges are meant to hide those.

iphoneuserinyyz

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
I'm warming up to the grey but if they sold black since the start I would've gotten that instead. Does anyone else find that their iPad doesn't fit quite right into it? Maybe I'm being overly picky but when mine is in the case, I can still see the silver border on most of the sides when it seems like the rubber edges are meant to hide those.

I note that the official photos of the case on Apple's site also show a tiny rim of a silver border. So I assume this is how the case is meant to fit.
HMKK2_AV2

BraeburntPie

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2018
UK
So it is. I’ve only seen that image on a small screen so I couldn’t make out the silver on there. It’s not to be bothered by that.

I find the iPad very prone to tipping over when it’s upright in display mode, unless I fold the ‘triangle’ the opposite way so that the microfibre side faces outwards, but that gets dirt on it...
Now that I’ve had this, the lack of viewing angles and the sort of protection my iPad needs makes me consider returning this for a cheaper case. It’s certainly very nice but I don’t know if I can justify the cost when I could find the same (and more) elsewhere for cheaper.

Edit: forgot to mention mine was actually lightly scuffed when it came out of the box, not like a line scratch, but like somebody took the edge of something and scraped it on the clear plastic. Now that I’m thinking of a return if something better looking comes along, I hope this doesn’t affect anything. Apple’s online store holiday returns extend to non-Apple products, right?

Last edited:

Grimson

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Norwich, England
I bought one of these for my 11" Pro and coming from the 9.7" Pro with the Apple case and smart cover this new solution does feel quite big and bulky compared to the margently thicker without a case 9.7" model.

I don't think the clear hard plastic is doing it any favours in the touch and feel department.

I will stick with it for a few days as I do like the side protection that is lacking from the current Apple solutions.

FitSmartHappy

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2018
It looks great. Otterbox did good things here

Is this your alternative to AppleCare ?
For me, there is no alternative to AppleCare! It’s become my practice to replace any Apple device on which I depend about a month before AppleCare expires (usually the device is beginning to have at least minor if not major issues). Last week, my iPhone 7S died. I had the option to replace it with a 7S to which my current Apple Care would be transferred (and expire in a month) — $29 for a refurbished; $99 for new. The Genius advised me to get the refurbished and immediately trade it in for a new phone and new AppleCare. So I got the XS + AppleCare with a discount of roughly $400.

Reactions: gjr74

BraeburntPie

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2018
UK
Just curious, what are you referring to?
The same all-edge protection and the same amount of viewing angles, or more in the cases where you can adjust the tilt.

The 12.9 is such a beast so I’m not surprised it tips over but I’m actually getting annoyed by it, if I want to reach over while watching Netflix, that’s enough to make it fall. But 3mm of rubber all around is some protection, I saw a review for another case where the edges were hard plastic and from experience I can imagine dropping and cracking that, rendering it useless.

Porterhouse

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
USA
In the past, I've avoided Otterboxes because they're such a pain to take on and off, but it's been a few years. Is this one like that as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.