Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianone

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018
I returned my otterbox case and went back to the ASK, as I like having the Keyboard handy so I can use like a laptop in the evenings.

Reactions: BrianSoCal

PmattF

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
I just bought the Otterbox at the local Apple store -- I hate it. I am coming from the iPad Air 2 with the leather case, which is extremely nice, protective, and light. In comparison, the Otterbox just feels cheap and plasticky, and way too heavy for what it does. I will definitely be returning it.

piblondin

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
I just bought the Otterbox at the local Apple store -- I hate it. I am coming from the iPad Air 2 with the leather case, which is extremely nice, protective, and light. In comparison, the Otterbox just feels cheap and plasticky, and way too heavy for what it does. I will definitely be returning it.
I'm coming from the same device you are and looking for something similar to its case. Have you found anything you like for the 11" Pro?

Reactions: cep55

PmattF

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
I'm coming from the same device you are and looking for something similar to its case. Have you found anything you like for the 11" Pro?

I just got the ESR case that a lot of people are talking about on other threads here...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G448QYX/

It is definitely not great, but I like it better than the Otterbox. Probably a case of lower expectations, since it is only $15.99. It is way lighter, and feels less unpleasant (though still just plastic). It seems worthwhile as a temporary solution, until somebody makes something more like the original Apple leather case.

That being said, I also got the Apple Keyboard folio, which I like *way* more than I expected to. I have had iPads since the second one came out in 2011, and never felt the need for a keyboard case, but now that I have one, I really appreciate it. It weighs the exact same amount as the Otterbox, but with the additional functionality, seems worth the weight.

It is not very protective though. And because it is just held on by the magnets, easily comes off -- which is great if you don't want to use the keyboard, but also feels a bit risky.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
What’s funny to me is that people deem 6oz. extra “heavy”

Well is a 5lb laptop heavy compared to a 3 lbs laptop? It’s not heavy but I prefer carrying the 3 lb laptops. I don’t have a case on my iPad 12.9 3rd gen and I love the lightness. When I do carry it outside I’ll have to decide on a good case for it. And I’m no skinny nerd since I lift weights lol

piblondin

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
I just got the ESR case that a lot of people are talking about on other threads here...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G448QYX/

It is definitely not great, but I like it better than the Otterbox. Probably a case of lower expectations, since it is only $15.99. It is way lighter, and feels less unpleasant (though still just plastic). It seems worthwhile as a temporary solution, until somebody makes something more like the original Apple leather case.

That being said, I also got the Apple Keyboard folio, which I like *way* more than I expected to. I have had iPads since the second one came out in 2011, and never felt the need for a keyboard case, but now that I have one, I really appreciate it. It weighs the exact same amount as the Otterbox, but with the additional functionality, seems worth the weight.

It is not very protective though. And because it is just held on by the magnets, easily comes off -- which is great if you don't want to use the keyboard, but also feels a bit risky.
Thanks. I'm wondering whether I could just get by with the Keyboard Folio, but I feel like I'm going to need more protection.

Last edited:

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
After a few weeks, I like the Symmetry case fine, but prefer the ProCase from Amazon. IMO, the ProCase feels more upscale and certainly stays closed better with the pencil charging. @ $24 it is a pretty good value as well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KLHP36T/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
One more thing to consider, the Otterbox has a complete rubber bumper along the hinge side while the hinge side of the ProCase only has rubber corners then only the front cover material protecting the flat part along the hinge side.

Last edited:

piblondin

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
After a few weeks, I like the Symmetry case fine, but prefer the ProCase from Amazon. IMO, the ProCase feels more upscale and certainly stays closed better with the pencil charging. @ $24 it is a pretty good value as well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KLHP36T/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
One more thing to consider, the Otterbox has a complete rubber bumper along the hinge side while the hinge side of the ProCase only has rubber corners then only the front cover material protecting the flat part along the hinge side.
The ProCase looks good, but I would like something that doesn't have anything for the pencil. I.e. a case that's designed as if there isn't a smart connector at all.

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
The ProCase looks good, but I would like something that doesn't have anything for the pencil. I.e. a case that's designed as if there isn't a smart connector at all.
If you do not want to charge a pencil, the ProCase would look odd with the pencil protrusion.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Yikes. This entire post is the definition of subjectivity. Not a fan of this thing at all.

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Otterbox symmetry at present is the best all over protection case in my opinion

I’ve been using it for 2 weeks now and it’s great

Only niggle I have is the rubber at the thin parts beside the speaker could have been more rigid

It’s a great looking case and protects the pencil for carrying

gjr74

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2017
PA, USA
A problem with the ProCase is that it won’t allow for third party chargers. The slot for the USB-C cable is cut exactly to the dimensions of the Apple cable, which is thinner than most. My Anker cable would not fit so I sent the case back.

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
A problem with the ProCase is that it won’t allow for third party chargers. The slot for the USB-C cable is cut exactly to the dimensions of the Apple cable, which is thinner than most. My Anker cable would not fit so I sent the case back.
Yes, the slot is smaller than the Otterbox case. The Apple cable fits perfectly but larger cables will not. The good news is you receive an Apple cable with your iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.