Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikikaly21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Have had it for two days and there's really no understating how great the screen looks like.

Spouse and I have been joking it feels like "the opposite of a 3D screen" cause you feel like you could literally jump or fall into the screen as if it were a portal.

It's worth it for the display alone, never mind the form factor, weight or new M4 chip.

My first iPad was the og iPad 2 and haven't had one at all since pre-pandemic, but so glad I jumped back in. I love the new iPad Pro.

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
it is indeed fantastic and makes using the device a freakin joy. just typing this post is fun lol kidding.

but kidding aside, this screen is the final piece of the iPad puzzle for me (using them since 10+ years), the device is now perfect. the iPad is my main computing/surfing/youtube device outside of work and now I have no further complaints at all for my use cases. the iPad being super thin and very noticeably lighter while still having great battery life is just the cherry on top. first time Magic Keyboard user as well and the whole package *chef kiss*!

nikikaly21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
it is indeed fantastic and makes using the device a freakin joy. just typing this post is fun lol kidding.

but kidding aside, this screen is the final piece of the iPad puzzle for me

Needs to be seen to be believed! I actually got dizzy when I had the device bedside cause I felt almost as I could fall into the screen. Unreal! I love it.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Needs to be seen to be believed! I actually got dizzy when I had the device bedside cause I felt almost as I could fall into the screen. Unreal! I love it.
Yeah when I first got the iPhone w/ProMotion and now the OLED IPP, it makes me dizzy and almost gives me motion sickness with how smooth everything is. Apple OLED+ProMotion is intense for me, their miniLED panels not so much.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Techmaestro

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Agreed! I waited to upgrade my 2018 IPP until something other than a speed bump came on the scene; and that time is NOW! This new M4 iPad Pro represents the pinnacle of current technology in just about every measurable way, and the new Tandem OLED screen have been heralded as one of the most advanced screens on any consumer device today. Enjoy your new iPads folks.

nikikaly21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
Agreed! I waited to upgrade my 2018 IPP until something other than a speed bump came on the scene; and that time is NOW! This new M4 iPad Pro represents the pinnacle of current technology in just about every measurable way, and the new Tandem OLED screen have been heralded as one of the most advanced screens on any consumer device today. Enjoy your new iPads folks.
It's the best screen I've ever owned, on any device - no question.

nikikaly21

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
At this point in time, I can't justify spending $1,500+ on the 11" model (and keyboard) just for the screen. If I am going to spend Mac type money, there needs to be more of a feature subset for me.
See that’s why I was in for a penny in for a pound. No Magic Keyboard for me. I had one for the 2018 iPad Pro long ago and wasn’t really sold on the hybrid ipad/Mac OS experience.

You’re right, if I need MacOS, these iPads aren’t it.

If I want a magic glass screen to interact with, I’m turning to my iPad. The tacticility is my goal.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
At this point in time, I can't justify spending $1,500+ on the 11" model (and keyboard) just for the screen. If I am going to spend Mac type money, there needs to be more of a feature subset for me.
I have the 2018, M1, M4 11”ers in front of me now, not that much off a difference really.
M4 is a bit faster, bit crisper, bit brighter, bit more colourful.
Wouldn’t say a lot.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have the 2018, M1, M4 11”ers in front of me now, not that much off a difference really.
M4 is a bit faster, bit crisper, bit brighter, bit more colourful.
Wouldn’t say a lot.
I appreciate the honesty without all the excess, positive hyperbole like so many here. I think your observation observations are shared by a lot of people on here, even though they aren't at the point of admitting it just yet.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
See that’s why I was in for a penny in for a pound. No Magic Keyboard for me. I had one for the 2018 iPad Pro long ago and wasn’t really sold on the hybrid ipad/Mac OS experience.

You’re right, if I need MacOS, these iPads aren’t it.

If I want a magic glass screen to interact with, I’m turning to my iPad. The tacticility is my goal.
At the time, I believe I spent about $1200 for the 2020 iPad Pro combo. I used it as my main computer for 1.5 years. I enjoyed the screen and speed of the iPad. I think if I made a purchase tomorrow for the new pro (with keyboard), I would have the same type of experience as before, which had some friction. I could also make a purchase without the keyboard. The issue is that I have an iPad mini that I use outside the house (often) and I question whether I would be as likely to carry an 11" (for when the need or want arose) as I am the mini.

Reactions: iGalileo

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Have had it for two days and there's really no understating how great the screen looks like.

Spouse and I have been joking it feels like "the opposite of a 3D screen" cause you feel like you could literally jump or fall into the screen as if it were a portal.

It's worth it for the display alone, never mind the form factor, weight or new M4 chip.

My first iPad was the og iPad 2 and haven't had one at all since pre-pandemic, but so glad I jumped back in. I love the new iPad Pro.
100% It feels like you can fall into the display said that. Myself. Personally I’m an OLED snob. Everything I own is OLED. Even a 240hz OLED MSI Gaming Laptop because the next step is 240hz.
This Tandem OLED is amazing. Major TV makers should offer this.
if APPLE sold a Tandem OLED TV 55” or 75” it would be SOLD Out immediately. Or a new XDR Tandem OLED 34” Monitor.

Apple has a MAJOR hit here with Tandem OLED. And I look forward to a Tandem OLED 14” M5 Max MacBook Pro next year.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I appreciate the honesty without all the excess, positive hyperbole like so many here. I think your observation rations are shared by a lot of people on here, even though they aren't at the point of admitting it just yet.
What is worse is the speakers.
I will be returning not enough difference to be blowing $2KAUD at the moment with keyboard.
Keyboard has a chip so has to go back.
Maybe the 13” would of blown me away lol

change of mind keeping the 11” retuning the keyboard

Last edited:

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
100% It feels like you can fall into the display said that. Myself. Personally I’m an OLED snob. Everything I own is OLED. Even a 240hz OLED MSI Gaming Laptop because the next step is 240hz.
This Tandem OLED is amazing. Major TV makers should offer this.
if APPLE sold a Tandem OLED TV 55” or 75” it would be SOLD Out immediately. Or a new XDR Tandem OLED 34” Monitor.

Apple has a MAJOR hit here with Tandem OLED. And I look forward to a Tandem OLED 14” M5 Max MacBook Pro next year.
I have 3 in front of me now, hardly any diff from 2018 to M1 to M4.

IMG_1377.jpeg

Last edited:

jeffg819

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2006
Came from the 2018 12.9 IPP and glad I waited for the M4. Enjoying the screen, the speed, and the thinner shape. Hoping Apple announces some great stuff for iPad OS at the WWDC next month. The table is set, so to speak.

Silent Thunder

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2024
Love everything about this device. Have owned every ipad since the beginning. Got the 1TB model for the extra ram and 10 cores, and boy, the speed is absolutely insane. Playing CIV 6 …. and what a new experience on the new iPad Pro. Along with the new Magic Keyboard (so tactile) and the new function buttons and the new pencil, simply the best laptop/tablet I have ever owned. Didn’t get the nano glass model though because it didn’t “pop” as much as the normal glass.

Those who criticise are just jealous.

semajm85

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Came from the 2018 12.9 IPP and glad I waited for the M4. Enjoying the screen, the speed, and the thinner shape. Hoping Apple announces some great stuff for iPad OS at the WWDC next month. The table is set, so to speak.
I echo everything you said except I came from a 2018 ipp 11”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.