Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
IMG_4866.jpeg

Also

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
OLED TVs work quite a bit differently than mobile OLED displays. Mobile displays have R,G, and B emitters, while TVs use a single color of OLED emitter, and use color filters or quantum dots to create the other colors. Most mobile OLED displays use PWM to set brightness, while TVs/monitors don't. And, of course, TVs have much larger pixels.

I'm no expert, so I don't know how feasible Tandem OLED is at larger sizes, but I'd temper you expectations on what may be possible.
They seem to understand that.

And suppliers have already leaked that Apple is planning Tandem OLED in 2 years for the MacBook Pro line. So that may be the M5 as we’re currently on M3. It tracks.

You already know this but to others reading:

Regarding TVs, to increase brightness, LG uses WOLED which is like RGB OLED but with an added white subpixel to do the heavy lifting of bright tones, at the slight expense of color vibrancy compared to traditional RGB. Where as Samsung uses QD-OLED which is blue OLED with added red and green micro crystals on top, which has the effect of better brightness and color vibrancy of traditional RGB, but at the expense of raised blacks in well lit rooms because there is no polarizer layer to stop incoming ambient light from bouncing back at the viewer. So QD-OLED isn’t perfect for image accuracy or vibrancy if the room is bright.

Tandem OLED would be the perfect middle ground and all-around TV and monitor because it gets 2x brighter than current WOLED and QD OLED, is much more resilient to burn-in, doesn’t raise blacks in bright rooms like QD-OLED, and has better color vibrancy than WOLED.

What’s better than that? Probably Tandem QD-OLED if they can put back in a polarizer.

You’re right that on TVs we’re going to be waiting many years. Manufacturers haven’t scaled to bigger sizes yet. But they have been making Tandem OLED since 2019 so it’s not entirely new, but it is relatively new—manufacturing is still solving scaling issues.

Reactions: Rizop

GCat

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2024
it is indeed fantastic and makes using the device a freakin joy. just typing this post is fun lol kidding.

but kidding aside, this screen is the final piece of the iPad puzzle for me (using them since 10+ years), the device is now perfect. the iPad is my main computing/surfing/youtube device outside of work and now I have no further complaints at all for my use cases. the iPad being super thin and very noticeably lighter while still having great battery life is just the cherry on top. first time Magic Keyboard user as well and the whole package *chef kiss*!

For me, almost perfect. I’d eagerly buy an iPad Pro with a larger screen, 15’’ or so. 😉

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
Lots of people here refusing to be Apples next victim. Good on you for standing up for your rights. People who bought it are trying to justify it so of course they're going to say positive things to make them feel better.
yes you are right it is actually bad. but I paid so much money for it so I have no choice but to say positive things and lure others into Apple‘s elaborate trap.

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
For TV I prefer my mini LED Sony 85" as the color palette is more correct.
That has everything to do with Sony calibrating their screens for accuracy at the expense of vibrancy. Sony even makes the $30,000 TRIMASTER monitor that makes the defacto reference image hollywood professionals use for post-production. So Sony calibrates their TVs to match that profile as best as possible.

Sony also has QD-OLED TVs that are equally calibrated to reference standards rather than the vibrancy bias of Samsung and likeminded TV makers. Has nothing to do with the backlighting technology. You can buy a Samsung mini LED TV and see its calibrated for vibrancy bias.

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
The screen isn’t mind blowing. I bought the 11” and don’t get me wrong I love it. But the display isn’t game changing. It’s very good but I think it’s a little overhyped.
I compared the m4 pro and m2 air screens side by side in a brightly-lit Costco yesterday. Minimal difference. Really minimal.

Surprised me so much I went into "Settings --> About" on each to verify they were indeed different devices and the store hadn't made a mistake with their demo table setup.

I've always bought iPad Pros (currently on a 4th gen 12.9 from 2021) but the M2 Air would make me think twice if I needed a replacement today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zwhaler and 3Rock

Rizop

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2011
Sup
They seem to understand that.

And suppliers have already leaked that Apple is planning Tandem OLED in 2 years for the MacBook Pro line. So that may be the M5 as we’re currently on M3. It tracks.

You already know this but to others reading:

Regarding TVs, to increase brightness, LG uses WOLED which is like RGB OLED but with an added white subpixel to do the heavy lifting of bright tones, at the slight expense of color vibrancy compared to traditional RGB. Where as Samsung uses QD-OLED which is blue OLED with added red and green micro crystals on top, which has the effect of better brightness and color vibrancy of traditional RGB, but at the expense of raised blacks in well lit rooms because there is no polarizer layer to stop incoming ambient light from bouncing back at the viewer. So QD-OLED isn’t perfect for image accuracy or vibrancy if the room is bright.

Tandem OLED would be the perfect middle ground and all-around TV and monitor because it gets 2x brighter than current WOLED and QD OLED, is much more resilient to burn-in, doesn’t raise blacks in bright rooms like QD-OLED, and has better color vibrancy than WOLED.

What’s better than that? Probably Tandem QD-OLED if they can put back in a polarizer.

You’re right that on TVs we’re going to be waiting many years. Manufacturers haven’t scaled to bigger sizes yet. But they have been making Tandem OLED since 2019 so it’s not entirely new, but it is relatively new—manufacturing is still solving scaling issues.
Super Fascinating stuff . Had no idea that tandem Oled was being made since 5 years ago . Any products that implemented it besides the iPad Pro ?

Rizop

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2011
That has everything to do with Sony calibrating their screens for accuracy at the expense of vibrancy. Sony even makes the $30,000 TRIMASTER monitor that makes the defacto reference image hollywood professionals use for post-production. So Sony calibrates their TVs to match that profile as best as possible.

Sony also has QD-OLED TVs that are equally calibrated to reference standards rather than the vibrancy bias of Samsung and likeminded TV makers. Has nothing to do with the backlighting technology. You can buy a Samsung mini LED TV and see its calibrated for vibrancy bias.
Sony is incredible at this stuff . My 85 inch X95L is like splitting hairs with my lg Oled . The Oled was amazing but had burn in after a couple of years , despite babying it , so it almost felt like throwing 2500 down the drain

I can’t even imagine what the Sony A95L looks like since OLED already starts at such a great baseline ; with Sony’s processing it’s probably the best tv ever . I’ve found what Sony has done with a “bridge” technology like miniled , and making it pretty close to Oled , really amazing . At least until microled becomes commoditized in like 15+ years lol

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
I compared the m4 pro and m2 air screens side by side in a brightly-lit Costco yesterday. Minimal difference. Really minimal.

Surprised me so much I went into "Settings --> About" on each to verify they were indeed different devices and the store hadn't made a mistake with their demo table setup.

Makes the M2 Air more attractive, IMHO.
Costco is lit to maybe 1000 lux. Thats a challenging environment to evaluate contrast differences. The "Magnolia Home Theater" section at Best Buy is dimly lit for the reasons of better evaluating display differences. It better mimics home lighting which is typically 150 lux or much much less when the lights are off or dim for media watching. And tandem OLED can get 3x brighter than the M2 Air in highlights for HDR content—bright highlights makes the image more realistic looking (eg. a sunset, or imagery of water with bright reflections).

But if you're just doing computer work in Light Mode, SDR is going to look similar to both. I have an M2 Air so I can testify how beautiful the screen is; contrast isn't too shabby either at 1400:1. But I would still prefer OLED because I work in Dark Mode, among other reasons.

Did you notice ProMotion 120Hz on the iPad Pro?

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I’ve had a couple of iPads and always never got on with them due to the screen tech, now they are OLED I’ve picked one up and I’m enjoying it far more now I’m not being distracted by grey blacks and backlight bleed, the 12.9” never appealed to me.

Also for people who can’t see the difference, really?

Eye sight is different for individuals. I upgraded from iPhone 7 Plus to 13 PM. Was blown away by OLED and pro motion. I have m1 iPad Pro, not gonna upgrade to m4, but the difference is huge with OLED.

Reactions: alecgold

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
Super Fascinating stuff . Had no idea that tandem Oled was being made since 5 years ago . Any products that implemented it besides the iPad Pro ?
Displays used in cars. Thats a recent article but I've seen that mentioned for years now. Why in cars? Because tandem OLED gets bright enough for sunlight, but looks seamless during dusk hours, and can be shaped and curved rather than flat. More so, cars are kept for 10+ years and nobody wants to be driving a car with burn-in; cars need to display UI elements constantly during the drive—can't just turn off the speedometer to save the screen from burn-in. We'll see how well tandem OLED holds up.

I haven't seen a model list. I'm sure asian EV and luxury cars use it. I know Mercedes is using it since the 2020 S-Class, electric EQS and EQE SUVs. The Mercedes MBUX Hyperscreen is using it. (source) You may see the term P-OLED—that is tandem OLED with a flexible plastic substrate so they can bend it to a car panel.

the interior of a car

Reactions: TechnoMonk and zkap

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Costco is lit to maybe 1000 lux. Thats a challenging environment to evaluate contrast differences. The "Magnolia Home Theater" section at Best Buy is dimly lit for the reasons of better evaluating display differences. It better mimics home lighting which is typically 150 lux or much much less when the lights are off or dim for media watching. And tandem OLED can get 3x brighter than the M2 Air in highlights for HDR content—bright highlights makes the image more realistic looking (eg. a sunset, or imagery of water with bright reflections).

But if you're just doing computer work in Light Mode, SDR is going to look similar to both. I have an M2 Air so I can testify how beautiful the screen is; contrast isn't too shabby either at 1400:1. But I would still prefer OLED because I work in Dark Mode, among other reasons.

Yeah, you really want to evaluate under lighting conditions that you intend to use the device in.

• Love
Reactions: PaperMag

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
Sony is incredible at this stuff . My 85 inch X95L is like splitting hairs with my lg Oled . The Oled was amazing but had burn in after a couple of years , despite babying it , so it almost felt like throwing 2500 down the drain

I can’t even imagine what the Sony A95L looks like since OLED already starts at such a great baseline ; with Sony’s processing it’s probably the best tv ever . I’ve found what Sony has done with a “bridge” technology like miniled , and making it pretty close to Oled , really amazing . At least until microled becomes commoditized in like 15+ years lol
You're so right. What Sony was doing with mini LED last year, and just under 500 dimming zones, was blowing everybody else out of the water. This year, Sony introduced much more dimming zone control to make it more OLED-like. It works so well that Sony is making their top flagship TV a mini LED, called the Bravia 9. Check out how much better the backlighting system is:

Téléviseurs Sony Bravia : Mini-Led, Oled et changement de stratégie ; on  décrypte la nouvelle gamme 2024 du fabricant - Les Numériques

Still, nothing yet matches the better colorspace of QD-OLED, and Sony managed to improve brightness on it too, so the second flagship in line will be the Bravia 8 with a QD-OLED panel. Sony buyers can take their pick and put a Bravia 9 in a bright room or a Bravia 8 in a light-controlled room.

This all begs the question—when will Sony get their hands on Tandem OLED?

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
Picked up my 13 M4 today. Not seeing a huge difference over my M1 12.9 Pro.
A couple of things that bug me, watching an HDR video in YouTube, the black bars are not solid black.
They are when watching an iTunes HDR movie.
I suspect it is not resolving correctly but i could be wrong. It still looks great but on OLED black should be black.

Does anyone know the proper setting to watch HDR content?
I would assume it is to turn brightness to 100% and turn off True Tone.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

I like those Magnolia Home Theater centers - nice presentation there. I grew up 3 blocks from the small Magnolia Stationeries and Camera store here in Seattle - what Magnolia HiFi was when it opened back in '54. They started adding high-end audio - McIntosh gear, mainly - and expanded slowly from there. My wife was working at their main office when I met her 45 years ago. The owners, who were local in our neighborhood, - the Tweten family - were really nice people.

• Love
Reactions: PaperMag

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Picked up my 13 M4 today. Not seeing a huge difference over my M1 12.9 Pro.
A couple of things that bug me, watching an HDR video in YouTube, the black bars are not solid black.
They are when watching an iTunes HDR movie.
I suspect it is not resolving correctly but i could be wrong. It still looks great but on OLED black should be black.

Does anyone know the proper setting to watch HDR content?
I would assume it is to turn brightness to 100% and turn off True Tone.

I was watching an OLED demo video on the YT app in 4K on my M1 12.9 last night - in full screen, the black bars turned reddish-brown after a while. I minimized the video and returned to full screen and they were black again. Happened multiple times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.