Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
Yeah, you really want to evaluate under lighting conditions that you intend to use the device in.
Yup—my first television looked absolutely perfect at the store with warehouse lighting, but as soon as I took it home to my den—surprise! it had raised blacks.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
I like those Magnolia Home Theater centers - nice presentation there. I grew up 3 blocks from the small Magnolia Stationeries and Camera store here in Seattle - what Magnolia HiFi was when it opened back in '54. They started adding high-end audio - McIntosh gear, mainly - and expanded slowly from there. My wife was working at their main office when I met her 45 years ago. The owners, who were local in our neighborhood, - the Tweten family - were really nice people.
Thats a really nice story. I'm in the east coast, so I had no awareness of Magnolia HiFi, and wondered where Best Buy got the name. I'll think of that heritage and your story next time I'm walking into that section.

Reactions: sparksd

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I watched the HDR 4K content on the 13. It looked good, but except for the bright stuff being really bright (almost sun white), I can't say it's so much more amazing than even LCD. But I'm just not a video (or audio) phile. For me, the new keyboard is worth the upgrade, along with the .2 pounds they shaved from it.

Reactions: PaperMag

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thats a really nice story. I'm in the east coast, so I had no awareness of Magnolia HiFi, and wondered where Best Buy got the name. I'll think of that heritage and your story next time I'm walking into that section.

Yeah, it started here in the Magnolia neighborhood in Seattle - where my wife & I both grew up in and am back living in.

• Love

Rizop

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2011
You're so right. What Sony was doing with mini LED last year, and just under 500 dimming zones, was blowing everybody else out of the water. This year, Sony introduced much more dimming zone control to make it more OLED-like. It works so well that Sony is making their top flagship TV a mini LED, called the Bravia 9. Check out how much better the backlighting system is:

Téléviseurs Sony Bravia : Mini-Led, Oled et changement de stratégie ; on  décrypte la nouvelle gamme 2024 du fabricant - Les Numériques

Still, nothing yet matches the better colorspace of QD-OLED, and Sony managed to improve brightness on it too, so the second flagship in line will be the Bravia 8 with a QD-OLED panel. Sony buyers can take their pick and put a Bravia 9 in a bright room or a Bravia 8 in a light-controlled room.

This all begs the question—when will Sony get their hands on Tandem OLED?
That’s incredible . Made me almost wish I had waited ; I bought mine before the Bravia 9 was announced :(

Really Interstinf about tandem oleds use in cars . I’ve seen an Oled in the Escalade and it looked great but I was semi-cringing at what it could potentially look like in a few years with all of the static info ; it would be horrible if your entire dashboard was burned in . Makes total sense now that it might have been tandem Oled that mitigates this substantially

• Love

Rizop

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2011
Picked up my 13 M4 today. Not seeing a huge difference over my M1 12.9 Pro.
A couple of things that bug me, watching an HDR video in YouTube, the black bars are not solid black.
They are when watching an iTunes HDR movie.
I suspect it is not resolving correctly but i could be wrong. It still looks great but on OLED black should be black.

Does anyone know the proper setting to watch HDR content?
I would assume it is to turn brightness to 100% and turn off True Tone.
Yeah there’s definitely something wrong . Black bars on the M4 should be solid black just like the 12.9 M1 . Unless there’s something wrong with the algorithm , the self emissive pixels in the black bars should simply turn off

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Regarding TVs, to increase brightness, LG uses WOLED which is like RGB OLED but with an added white subpixel to do the heavy lifting of bright tones, at the slight expense of color vibrancy compared to traditional RGB.
WOLED uses four white subpixels, with RGB filters over three of the subpixels. Smaller displays actually use RGB emitters, without need for the filters. So they aren't really all that similar.

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
WOLED uses four white subpixels, with RGB filters over three of the subpixels. Smaller displays actually use RGB emitters, without need for the filters. So they aren't really all that similar.
You're right, I'm wrong.

Upcoming LG TVs Will Address One Of OLED's Biggest Flaws, 50% OFF

palmguyactual

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2024
I’m an OLED fan - was looking forward to this release. Sold my M1 Pro a few months back in anticipation and it was a little frustrating that the release took longer than it seemed it was going to at the time; but I did get a company-issued M2 Pro at the same time that has been holding me over.

For me, it was worth the wait; I’m impressed with the display. I see some here are skeptical of anyone who’s actually happy with them; not sure what to say about that but I am. I would have had no issue sending it back and picking up a less expensive M2 if there was no difference.

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
I recently just put on a matte screen protector to eliminate reflections and turns out I like it more than expected. In turn, this has actually decreased my desire to upgrade (for now) since I don’t get the pure blacks with a matte screen either way, OLED or not.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Coming from a 2017 iPad Pro, it was an easy decision to get the M4 11'' iPad Pro. Battery health on the old one was around 50% and iOS 18 won't be available. I got $100 trade-in from Apple and with education discount, I paid $800. I don't use the keyboard, for that I prefer laptops and the new OLED screen is gorgeous. I also like having Face ID on this device and turned on charging up to 80% for increased battery health. After a few days, I guess I'm as happy as the OP.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
I agree, the reason they had to develop “Tandem OLED” in the first place was to match, and slightly exceed, the brightness we already had on the Micro LED displays.

The display is nice, it is better, it is warmer (same as the iPhone 15 Pro Max), but really just incremental. If you buy the new iPad just for the new displays and you’re coming from the M1 or M2 version, have your expectations set correctly.
Micro LED where???? 🤣

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Displays used in cars. Thats a recent article but I've seen that mentioned for years now. Why in cars? Because tandem OLED gets bright enough for sunlight, but looks seamless during dusk hours, and can be shaped and curved rather than flat. More so, cars are kept for 10+ years and nobody wants to be driving a car with burn-in; cars need to display UI elements constantly during the drive—can't just turn off the speedometer to save the screen from burn-in. We'll see how well tandem OLED holds up.

I haven't seen a model list. I'm sure asian EV and luxury cars use it. I know Mercedes is using it since the 2020 S-Class, electric EQS and EQE SUVs. The Mercedes MBUX Hyperscreen is using it. (source) You may see the term P-OLED—that is tandem OLED with a flexible plastic substrate so they can bend it to a car panel.

the interior of a car
It looks great. They better tone it down in the dark, too distracting at night.

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
It looks great. They better tone it down in the dark, too distracting at night.
For sure. Usually cars auto-dim screens when headlights are turned on, but I hope at this price bracket the design includes a light sensor for an auto-adjust brightness function.

Z6128

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
New Jersey
OLED is really my main reason for upgrading, besides the size reduction. The mini LED on my 12.9 is really nice, but I do notice the blooming a lot, which is a bit distracting.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
My M1 Pro screen still looks great… Sure oled is nice but not worth it just to upgrade for that… It’s still just an iPad plus the new pros have worse speakers compared to the M1 and M2 pros.

Reactions: pdoherty

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Comparing side by side for a few days now the oled is making the lcd look average lol

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
I tried them in store this week, and decided to keep my 11 inch M2 pro until the next iteration. The OLED is gorgeous. But at the end of the day for what I do from an iPad. Won’t benefit much from it. I do all my watching of movies, or video games in my LG C2 and C3 TVs. When I watch something in the iPad, it is because it is something I am watching quickly like a YouTube video or something, where I don’t really care about quality.

This said I never really have had an issue with the IPS screen in the iPad. Sure the OLED is better, but for an IPS screen, the M2 is quite good. I still perceive it as a high quality screen, even if it is nowhere near the best. Would an OLED on it change my experience with it? I don’t think so, at the end I would be paying quite a premium for basically the same device I already own.

And not related to this thread, but with the new iPads I would also lose some functionality that I currently have. The iPad is a secondary machine, while my Surface Pro 8 is my main productivity device. Because of this, I have no need for a Magic Keyboard, I have no desire to convert iPadOS into a full laptop as the OS wouldn’t allow me to work as I’m used to. So in business trips I always take the Surface, iPad stays home. But on vacation or leisure trips, I take my iPad and use the Smart Keyboard Folio to do a quick email or something. And now it is no longer compatible or available, when it was exactly what I needed given my usage of the device.
i think it's much more of a bigger jump for me saying coming from an ancient/dated iPad Mini 2/iPad 2... [which i survived using as a touch-device only for a decade plus]

anyone on M1/M2 iPad Pro imo won't benefit much more... heck even I feel M1 is overkill on an iPad so it's well proofed for many years.

unless... one is a display junkie [OLED vs miniLED]... well more power to them if they can justify that difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.