Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Are you trying to twist my words until something right comes out of it? I was responding to your claim that RED's announced brains (the ones this thread is about) cannot mount Nikon and Canon lenses. This is false, they can.

facepalm.gif

OP said:
Stop arguing price? I am only answering posts directed at me and that post was referencing price. Sorry but when someone makes a post directed at me, I answer it. I know what the prices are as I already quoted them on this thread and your incorrect. You can get the fixed focal length model for 2500 and that comes as a complete kit, no other accessories needed. So when referring to this entire line of cameras, its starts at 2500 and again that is for a compete camera. So when people come in here and start attacking me because I made a post about a camera system that is too expensive for them to afford, yet in their signature they clearly state they own a Mark II and 3 Canon L lenses, well forgive me but I find that incredibly comical and I just cant help but respond.

me said:
That low end model only shoots 4MP stills, how is that in any way comparable to a Canon 5DmkII kit with a 24-105L, which shoots at 21MP, at the same price?

you said:
Eeeh, it's also a professional digital movie camera (≠ camcorder). I doubt the low-end model sees much use as a digiback for stills. What's the point of comparing apples and oranges?

me said:
Which is my point, the OP brought up this model to excuse the price of the DSMC Scarlets, when they're not even comparable because it firstly, doesn't mount Canon or Nikon lenses, and secondly, it's too low of a resolution to be comparable.

you said:
RED cameras can mount both, Nikon and Canon lenses in addition to native RED mount lenses.

I never said that RED cameras didn't mount 3rd party lenses, I have said several times in this thread that they can. What I did say was that the 2/3" scarlets are incapable of mounting these lenses because their physical bayonet mount is too small.

… if this were Nikon, Canon, Leaf, Leica or Hasselblad, people wouldn't approach a newly announced product in the same way, they wouldn't say `oh, we don't know anything at all about this new sensor/camera, we can't know that it will be any good.' You're dismissing their announced products out of hand. If these companies announce a new product, it should (and mostly is) taken seriously. I think RED deserves some more credit here, that's all.
Nikon, Canon, Leaf, Leica, and Hasselblad don't come out a year+ in advance with a buch of product renderings and claimed sensor resolutions, without anything else to back it up. Either way, If this were any other company I would be saying the exact same thing. I said that the 5DmkII wouldn't out perform the D3/D700 in noise performance, even though all the hype said it would, and it didn't. The OP came in here with a set of unreal expectations, both on price and performance. Sorry to be the pesimist, but I see no reaon in getting excited over a product, just to be let down. So untill RED comes out with a working demo, specs on sensor noise and sensitivity, AF abilities with 3rd party lenses, flash and metetering capabilities, I will continue to remain unexcited about their 3D renderings.

To be honest, I see Canon's move to integrate the ability to make movies into their new cameras as a reaction to RED's announcement. (Nikon has included this only in a consumer-class camera, so it remains to be seen if it is adopted across its dslr line-up in the futre, particularly in pro bodies. Canon's move took me by more surprise here: there is no real reason to include a shoddy movie mode into a pro body, it's not going to be a feature serious amateurs and professionals have been asking for.)
I don't know about that. The 5D mkII was announced a week after the RED announcement, demo'ed not long after that.

It should be noted that I am not condeming RED, or saying that their products are awful, or saying that you should go out and buy a Canon or a Nikon or a Hasselblad. I am saying that you shouldn't be counting your chickens before they've hatched, and quit making such stupid assumptions about a product that hasn't been released beyond a bunch of 3D renderings. You can't say that RED has no competitors, because at this point, there is nothing to compete against. For all we know Hasselblad has got a killer 75MP medium-format digital back that will be released next month for $45,000, just unlike RED they don't announce a product before the specs have even been finalized. I am sure Sony isn't sitting still developing their next-gen 9K CineAlta pro-cinema cam either, they just haven't announced it yet. Making comparisons between products that won't even be available for another year and products that are available now is just stupid.

heron88

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
You wont go into it because you full of it and cant disprove anything I have said. By the way stop trying to dictate how other people post. If you dont like a thread then stay out of it. If you dot like another member then ignore them. Its that easy. As is your post has easily become one of the most pointless posts made in this thread yet.

I actually started this thread with the best intentions of starting a discussion about this system and that was immediately derailed by people like yourself. You want to know why this thread has degraded into what it is. Look in the mirror. People coming in here and making BS posts and BS accusations when they have no interest in the cameras anyways. Just look at the very first response in this thread. Its someone basically accusing me of being full of it and having no real interest in this camera system, lol. Your post is another perfect example.

Then making BS statements about me being wrong and being 100% unable to back it up. Typical.

Thanks for proving me right:rolleyes:

have a nice day

-heron

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The photo at the bottom is my biggest concern for the RED system. I know there are no working bodies to test IQ on and such, but this mockup shows what I have been thinking since I saw and first heard about the RED system.

Not only does it look to be a little larger than even the D3/D2/1D series of bodies, but getting the ergonomics of those DSLR bodies will require purchasing another RED handle.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    164.7 KB · Views: 82

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Dang that is one monstrous not to mention ugly and awesome at the same time kind of way camera!!!

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I dunno, I'd be afraid my clients would be afraid of my camera, and would freeze up even more than they usually do.

It takes a lot of work to get people to relax in front of the camera--tossing a big industrial-design box at them probably wouldn't help.

(Of course, my worries would only apply to portraiture. But I don't like that style anyways... so, eh)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I dunno, I'd be afraid my clients would be afraid of my camera, and would freeze up even more than they usually do.

It takes a lot of work to get people to relax in front of the camera--tossing a big industrial-design box at them probably wouldn't help.

(Of course, my worries would only apply to portraiture. But I don't like that style anyways... so, eh)

Could you imagine weddings? :eek:

And forget about street photography and strapping two of those things around your neck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.