Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
I'm considering getting the 16GB/1TB version (I have the base version with 12GB/256GB). Samsung is killing it. Never thought I'd be a Samsung girl...

At this point, you may as well wait for the S10 Ultra in July. Although current rumors state the Tab S10 series might actually end up being delayed, and introduced alongside the S25.

ravinja

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2017
im also doubting about switching. IOS has been very, very nice for 8 + years, but also getting a bit boring. After getting a new phone, i get the backup. And two days later the 'wow' thing is gone.

Biggest doubt i have with the s24U is the camera, how are pictures of moving objects? (kids or pets for example). I read that samsung is not to good on that. I now actually always take a live picture, just to have that extra few seconds of sound and motion. Really love that seeing the kids grow up.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
After this morning's iPad event, I'll be sticking with the Tab. DeX had really changed the productivity game for me.
For external display support, DeX is still better due to having a desktop layout.

But man those Tandem OLEDs are cream of the crop and the Apple Pencil looks to be finally the best pen right now. The new keyboard looks much better too. iPad Pro users should be happy.

Happy competition exists.

Pufster

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2024
Yeah but look at the price. Add the keyboard and pencil and it's completely ridiculous. I bought an ipad pro couple of years ago for 500 euros less starting price...

All that power yet it still runs an oversized ios. I'm happy with my ipad pro at the price I bought it for, but I would never do it now.

Pufster

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2024
im also doubting about switching. IOS has been very, very nice for 8 + years, but also getting a bit boring. After getting a new phone, i get the backup. And two days later the 'wow' thing is gone.

Biggest doubt i have with the s24U is the camera, how are pictures of moving objects? (kids or pets for example). I read that samsung is not to good on that. I now actually always take a live picture, just to have that extra few seconds of sound and motion. Really love that seeing the kids grow up.

I would say do it. I also came from ios for 10 years. It became boring. Yes polished and if family is also on iphone it's nice but still dull.

Camera is great. Moving objects and video is still better on iphone but when looking at the complete package s24 ultra delivers it for me.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
I would say do it. I also came from ios for 10 years. It became boring. Yes polished and if family is also on iphone it's nice but still dull.

Camera is great. Moving objects and video is still better on iphone but when looking at the complete package s24 ultra delivers it for me.
Agree Apple is behind in software and that’s where the future is.

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I’ll bite here, I just picked up an S24U to try as I alway love Samsung hardware. I’ve tried multiple times over the years to switch from iOS to Android, the gap has narrowed a lot but there are a few critical pieces that still keep me from switching.

1. It’s hard to go back from FaceID. It’s so reliable and seamless. The S24U requiring the finicky fingerprint reader for more secure activities drives me nuts.
2. App optimization, primarily in terms of screen optimization is brutal. I understand this comes as a result of Android diversity but losing usable screen real estate negates some of the larger/different screen sizes.
3. Unfortunately the way Android handles work profiles screws up notification management for my Withings watch - this is very specific to my use case.

Hoping the next gen pixel devices continue to build on their face unlock as that may overcome that point for me.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
For external display support, DeX is still better due to having a desktop layout.

But man those Tandem OLEDs are cream of the crop and the Apple Pencil looks to be finally the best pen right now. The new keyboard looks much better too. iPad Pro users should be happy.

Happy competition exists.
Except for the few that use FCP and Procreate a $2000 price tag for the 13" base pro model, mainly due to lack of compatibility with previous accessories, you need to be a a real fan of OLED at this price.

I expect many M2 Pro users will have a hard time justifying upgrading.

Maybe they will increase the urge to upgrade by making some new OS AI software features exclusive to new models only

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
Except for the few that use FCP and Procreate a $2000 price tag for the 13" base pro model, mainly due to lack of compatibility with previous accessories, you need to be a a real fan of OLED at this price.

I expect many M2 Pro users will have a hard time justifying upgrading.

Maybe they will increase the urge to upgrade by making some new OS AI software features exclusive to new models only
after a while and the hype gone I can see where Apple cut costs. I would also choose the tab S9 over the 11” M4 mainly because of micro sd card and Android and I have to see Jerry’s test to determine the quality of the design.

This iPad Pro is a good update but you can see Apple losing its designers had an impact. It doesn’t scream next gen.

ravinja

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2017
is anyone using the 'motion picture' option? How does it compare to Live Photos on iOS? Is there also sound in 'motion pictures'?

match14

macrumors regular
May 1, 2014
Some people complain about the Samsung UI on the S24 Ultra, things buried under layers of menus, is it as bad as they say?

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Some people complain about the Samsung UI on the S24 Ultra, things buried under layers of menus, is it as bad as they say?

As there is just SO much customisation available on oneUI, it's true that there are a lot of menus and sometimes things are buried. I frequently use search and that works really well and quickly.

IOS meanwhile has also started putting things in weird places and everyone says "well you just have to think the apple way" but that often means that there's some really nice feature that I never find until someone says well you just have to do it this way and then the option appears. OK.

The truth is that you get used to either pretty quickly if you give them a chance but the real difference is, when you wonder "how can I move that menu? how can I change that sort direction? how can I......." the IOS answer is often "you can't" whereas in oneUI you can but you may need to find it :)

Warning though: it's easy to get comfortable with IOS and its limitations but once you've seen oneUI it's harder to accept those things you can't change on the iPhone ;-)

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
As there is just SO much customisation available on oneUI, it's true that there are a lot of menus and sometimes things are buried. I frequently use search and that works really well and quickly.

IOS meanwhile has also started putting things in weird places and everyone says "well you just have to think the apple way" but that often means that there's some really nice feature that I never find until someone says well you just have to do it this way and then the option appears. OK.

The truth is that you get used to either pretty quickly if you give them a chance but the real difference is, when you wonder "how can I move that menu? how can I change that sort direction? how can I......." the IOS answer is often "you can't" whereas in oneUI you can but you may need to find it :)

Warning though: it's easy to get comfortable with IOS and its limitations but once you've seen oneUI it's harder to accept those things you can't change on the iPhone ;-)
Amen to this. The more I tinker with the s24U the harder it is to go back to ios.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Glad you noted the search, but also if you have gone down say the wrong menu items at the bottom there is 4 suggestions links of "Looking for something else"

eg go to display menu and at the bottom is

Looking for something else ?

Side button
Language
Vision enhancements
Always on Display

This is very useful at times

I find the biggest difference in IOS is the amount of scrolling down large lists, menu structures is far more logical IMO and also access to settings within apps :)

Reactions: yui4 and match14

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I honestly prefer OneUI on a huge screen.
Screenshot_20240509_072135_One UI Home.jpg

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Echoing everyone else, OneUI on the S24+ is really great. Initial setup can be tedious if you've never used it before but once set up, many of the settings are one and done. I'd rather have too many settings and menus than too little. I'm an iPhone user since the 4...adjusted just fine and loving it.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Echoing everyone else, OneUI on the S24+ is really great. Initial setup can be tedious if you've never used it before but once set up, many of the settings are one and done. I'd rather have too many settings and menus than too little. I'm an iPhone user since the 4...adjusted just fine and loving it.

Congrats and yes, initial OneUI setup can be somewhat daunting- even when coming from Pixel (I had 4a; then briefly 6 Pro and 8 Pro when they 1st came out) or OnePlus OxygenOS.

I found a few S23/24+ setup videos on YT that made it a little easier to follow and learn more about each setting, if I decided to roll something back.

The same was true when I hopped on the Android bandwagon with the 4a after using iPhones from 3 to 8 Plus.

Reactions: Harthag and match14

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I wonder what the odds are of the upcoming Tab S10 Ultra having S24U's ant-reflective screen? I am going to assume high?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.