Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I want to pick up a Playstation Portal but its still out of stock everywhere, and I simply refuse to pay a penny over retail price!

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I went with another brand and saved even more. It's gotten good reviews, 4TB NVME for $179 and it's returnable until Jan 31st.

I just installed it in my PS5 as the Fanxiang S770 4TB drive replaced my 1TB Seagate Firecuda 530. All I can say is WOW especially for the price. On the initial reformat when I booted up the PS5 the read speeds were 5933 mb/s which for a $179 4TB NVME is impressive. I copied 87GB from my internal PS5 drive to the NVME and it completed in less than 25 secs. My Firecuda is faster and I forget the number but it was pushing reads close to 7000 mb/s but that's a 1TB and cost around $249 at the time which I also got on sale at Amazon for the same price as the 4TB drive.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
So was going to pick up a Portal when they are in stock again, but now considering a Steam Deck instead - can always use remote play on it..........

Reactions: Wyvernspirit

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I prefer this method, because the steam deck can play games when not connected to a playstation

I don’t know…..the more I look into it, the type of games I would play are all mainly available on the PS5. So I’m thinking maybe the Portal would do for me.
Uncharted for example - same game, just much cheaper on the PS5 then it is via Steam.….
I would only ever use the device indoors, so using off of a network is not an issue for me - I would always be on my WiFi……hmmmm……

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Argos have some good deals on games at the moment.
Just picked up Uncharted collection for £15, and Ghost of Tsushima is currently on half price as well - looks like I got the last one as its out of stock everywhere now!

Reactions: Pezimak

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
So I got my fatboy PS5 for Christmas (it’s huge lol), and I have to say I miss Quick Resume, but everything else is better on PlayStation I think. Maybe due to having a new interface? I got COD MW3 too, but I’ve also been playing through Stray and I’m loving it! Never thought playing as a cat would be so enjoyable 😂🤣😂🤣. I got a 2 terabyte Western Digital NVME during Black Friday sales and it’s working fine.
Other point is in COD my NAT is moderate, with my Series X it was always open, no biggy though really. I get my bottom handed to me anyway, need more practice.

Think I’m going to just sell my Steam Deck again, it’s my second, and my Switch Lite. I just find myself preferring to play on my telly These days. As I have a 55” Sony OLED with the speakers behind the screen I setup the 3D audio too and it sounds pretty good.
Plus in 2024 I want to get a new Mac and start selling on eBay with a view to making a success of it and quitting my job.

I’ve grabbed Deliver Us To Mars as I loved the first game, and upgraded Spidey to the PS5 version, and I got Dead Island 2 on sale. Will pick up some disk games on sale too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macalicious2011

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Finally decided to purchase an internal ssd drive. Went with 4TB just to be done with it once and for all. A breeze to install and works perfectly (got the WD black one). No more deleting and reinstalling games! :)

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Finally decided to purchase an internal ssd drive. Went with 4TB just to be done with it once and for all. A breeze to install and works perfectly (got the WD black one). No more deleting and reinstalling games! :)

Did you get a heatsink to go with it?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Just read some reviews on the PS5 slim, and while its pretty much the same specs internal storage is larger.
Its up from 825gb to 1tb. Nice improvement.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
So apparently the rumors regarding the PS5 Pro do seem to have some legs to it. I personally dismissed the idea at first but more gaming websites seem to confirm its existence. I personally find the idea of the PS5 Pro as a little late to the game with the PS6 surely already well into its design phase and specs.

I owned the launch PS4 and three years later I purchased the PS4 Pro. Few games to advantage of the PS4 Pro's boost mode. Wipeout was one of the few games to take advantage of it. The one game that gamers wanted to see a 60FPS 1080p improvement was Bloodborne. It never happened.

Just like Sony's miscalculations with the PS Vita, PSVR2, PS Portal, will the PS5 Pro get added to this list? I will personally wait for the PS6 to show up in another 3 years as Sony's Jim Ryan has stated the PS5 is already into it's later stages of its life cycle.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
So apparently the rumors regarding the PS5 Pro do seem to have some legs to it. I personally dismissed the idea at first but more gaming websites seem to confirm its existence. I personally find the idea of the PS5 Pro as a little late to the game with the PS6 surely already well into its design phase and specs.

I owned the launch PS4 and three years later I purchased the PS4 Pro. Few games to advantage of the PS4 Pro's boost mode. Wipeout was one of the few games to take advantage of it. The one game that gamers wanted to see a 60FPS 1080p improvement was Bloodborne. It never happened.

Just like Sony's miscalculations with the PS Vita, PSVR2, PS Portal, will the PS5 Pro get added to this list? I will personally wait for the PS6 to show up in another 3 years as Sony's Jim Ryan has stated the PS5 is already into it's later stages of its life cycle.
I'm afraid that Sony may price the PS5 Pro out of the market (599+) like they did the PS3 (initially).

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London

I don't think that the PS5 Pro will be worth the money over the base reasons for the following reasons:
-Studios develop for the lowest common denominator. For previous gen it was PS4 and Xbox One.
-45% in performance uplift over the PS5 will need to be split across resolution, ray tracing, more detailed textures and frame rates. Therefore, it's unlikely that demanding open world games will all play at 4k/60 in performance mode.
-PSSR is new upscaling technology. It will take 12-24 months the software and development docs to be optimised and final.
-Some developers won't bother spending money to update older titles. If they do, it will be at least a year after PS5Pro. It's pointless to spend money on optimising for hardware that will only be owned hundreds of thousands of people to begin with. When DLSS launched, some games didn't receive updates until over a year later.

What people think we'll get: Quality modes in open world games running at 4k/60.
What I think we'll get: A slightly better looking performance mode.

Anyone who wants better graphics should save up for a PC. I got one in December and 4k/60 on my TV looks so much sharper and lush and soft looking Quality modes on my Series X that run at an internal resolution of 1440-1800.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Yeah, I was waiting for the PS5 Pro but I’m not sure anymore, and will probably grab a slim model instead. We’ll see.

For me, the biggest disappointment is the small CPU improvements. It’s gonna be the bottleneck just like it was on the PS4 Pro.

Regarding the AI hardware, it’s nice to see console manufacturers to start getting interest on the technology, and it has a lot of potential, but I’m afraid it will be used mainly for the PSSR upscaling. But it points the way, and PS6 will likely take further steps on that direction.

Personally, right now I’m more hyped about the potential huge leap that PS6 could represent (huge jump in CPU, more and faster RAM, AI integration on games, and better efficiency thanks to the TSMC N3E or maybe even N3P process) than for the PS5 Pro.

That’s why I’ll likely grab a slim PS5 to play some of the titles I still haven’t on this generation (FF7R, FF7RB, Elden Ring, RE2, RE3, RE4, GoW, GoW:R, and… GTA6 when it gets released) and keep waiting for the PS6 eventual launch.

The only game that could make me change my mind and get a PS5Pro, is GTA6 if it ends up being really optimized for the new hardware, because I play GTAs for many, many hours.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yeah, I was waiting for the PS5 Pro but I’m not sure anymore, and will probably grab a slim model instead. We’ll see.

For me, the biggest disappointment is the small CPU improvements. It’s gonna be the bottleneck just like it was on the PS4 Pro.

Regarding the AI hardware, it’s nice to see console manufacturers to start getting interest on the technology, and it has a lot of potential, but I’m afraid it will be used mainly for the PSSR upscaling. But it points the way, and PS6 will likely take further steps on that direction.

Personally, right now I’m more hyped about the potential huge leap that PS6 could represent (huge jump in CPU, more and faster RAM, AI integration on games, and better efficiency thanks to the TSMC N3E or maybe even N3P process) than for the PS5 Pro.

That’s why I’ll likely grab a slim PS5 to play some of the titles I still haven’t on this generation (FF7R, FF7RB, Elden Ring, RE2, RE3, RE4, GoW, GoW:R, and… GTA6 when it gets released) and keep waiting for the PS6 eventual launch.

The only game that could make me change my mind and get a PS5Pro, is GTA6 if it ends up being really optimized for the new hardware, because I play GTAs for many, many hours.
Are current PS5 games CPU limited? I didn't think we hit that point yet, at least on PC when CPU limited upping the resolution usually evens things out (unless the game is broken like Starfield or BG3 Act 3).

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
The Digital Foundry sums it up: "In real terms, those hoping that PS5 Pro will turn CPU-limited 30fps titles into super-smooth 60fps experiences will be disappointed". And this is why I will wait for the PS6 instead!

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Was thinking this also. If (and that's a big if) it can get me drastically better visuals at 60 fps for a game I'm going to be sinking a stupid amount of time into then I'd probably cave and get one. Articles seem to indicate that won't happen but will be interesting to see.

Reactions: Populus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.