Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Except the iPad mini is far from low cost.

The iPads go on sale more often than the iPhones these days so it's not uncommon to be able to pick one up for $100 off at the right time of the year. I watch for sales on iPhones, iPads and Macs and Apple and/or the carriers are a lot more stingy on phones.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
The iPads go on sale more often than the iPhones these days so it's not uncommon to be able to pick one up for $100 off at the right time of the year. I watch for sales on iPhones, iPads and Macs and Apple and/or the carriers are a lot more stingy on phones.
I see you are in the US. We almost never see Apple products on sale in Europe.

Reactions: Lioness~

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I see you are in the US. We almost never see Apple products on sale in Europe.

I had a $300 carrier discount when buying the iPhone 13 mini so it was a no-brainer upgrading from a 7+. The last time I saw a good carrier discount was last December. I have not seen any since then which has been disappointing. My daughter wanted an iPad so I gave her my iPad mini 5 and she loves it. She said that a regular iPad would have been too big.

So now I'm going to wait until Black Friday to see if I can get an iPad mini 6 for $100 off. I don't strictly need it but it would be nice to have.

Strange that there isn't the discounting thing in Europe. A lot of companies do it here - you just have to be patient.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Are USB-C headphones a thing or will you need a Lightning to USB-C dongle?

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
The 13 Mini is the closest thing we have seen from Apple that is a 'modernized' iPhone 5S.

It's an incredible little device and my hope is that the 4th gen SE isn't going to be yet another large phone like many here are predicting.
The next SE will be a 6.1-inch phone based on the iPhone 11 chassis.

• Disagree
Reactions: Macx69 and Chuckeee

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm using my iPhone 5 for podcasts today. BlueTooth is weak and it doesn't pair aggressively like the iPhone 13 mini but the size is nice.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I hope for a 17 Mini ❤️

Honestly I really don’t expect it.
See, what I'll do, how the Mini is holding up, when 17 or 18 phones comes?
I've been thinking of a Samsung when I've been pis*sed at Apple for ending the Mini.
But the non-complication of buying the smallest possible of iPhones, will probably win 😉

Reactions: OJK and Chuckeee

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
The simple fact is that there has never been a top-spec small form factor iPhone, so speculation is pretty much the only option, no?

We do know that there exists a non-zero number of iPhone users that claim they would purchase such a device.
the fact of the matter is the majority of people prefer larger screens.

Fair to say that the mini suffered from very bad battery life.

Ask the mini owners.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
the fact of the matter is the majority of people prefer larger screens.

Most people prefer hamburgers. Is that a good reason to discontinue sushi?

Fair to say that the mini suffered from very bad battery life.

Ask the mini owners.

I don’t have to.

I owned the 12 mini and 13 mini, battery life was fine.

I’d buy a 15 mini, and I would definitely buy a 15 Pro mini.

OJK

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2020
The simple fact is that there has never been a top-spec small form factor iPhone, so speculation is pretty much the only option, no?

We do know that there exists a non-zero number of iPhone users that claim they would purchase such a device.
We also know that all the Android guys moved to larger and larger phones. By their own choice. The majority of Apple users is likely not too different.
The people that want to use the phone “just as a phone” (hence don’t need neither a large screen nor battery life) is a minority, and the people that say they need/want single hand use (like me, because I want to use it while on my bike or carry it in one hand while running) are also a minority.

I would love Apple to make phones for us, but they obviously care about which phones they can sell most.

Reactions: Chuckeee

mjtlee

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2022
United Kingdom
Just ordered my iPhone Mini 13. I traded in my Mini 12 for an iPhone 15 Pro - after a week, it's just too big, too heavy, and too bulky in my pockets so it's going back. I'm not sure what to do in two to three years when it goes obsolete - I'll have to worry about that then, but it might mean parting ways with Apple after 15+ loyal years with iPhones

OJK

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2020
Just ordered my iPhone Mini 13. I traded in my Mini 12 for an iPhone 15 Pro - after a week, it's just too big, too heavy, and too bulky in my pockets so it's going back. I'm not sure what to do in two to three years when it goes obsolete - I'll have to worry about that then, but it might mean parting ways with Apple after 15+ loyal years with iPhones
Luckily (?) for you, there won’t be a small phone running Android either, so you can stay with Apple if you prefer. 🤪
I am also curious what the market has to offer in 2-3years from now. I don’t want anything bigger than my 13 mini. Coming from Xiaomi 5s and even iPhone 8, it feels very good to have a phone with the size of the mini.
I’d still use my Desire S, if just not apps would be getting heavier each year. I really wonder what they do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

JustAnExpat

Suspended
Nov 27, 2019
I feel the mini was killed by Apple. Here's why:

1. There was a pent up demand for smaller phones.
2. Apple released the iPhone SE 2. This was considered "good enough" by the people who demanded minis.
3. Apple then released the iPhone 12 Mini. The demand for mini phones was already taken by iPhone SE 2 owners.
4. The iPhone Mini doesn't have a market in India or China, because phones are used as primary computing devices and larger displays are valued.
5. iPhone Mini died :(

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I feel the mini was killed by Apple. Here's why:

1. There was a pent up demand for smaller phones.
2. Apple released the iPhone SE 2. This was considered "good enough" by the people who demanded minis.
3. Apple then released the iPhone 12 Mini. The demand for mini phones was already taken by iPhone SE 2 owners.
4. The iPhone Mini doesn't have a market in India or China, because phones are used as primary computing devices and larger displays are valued.
5. iPhone Mini died :(

I see so many people with monster phones and wonder if it's their primary device. I really don't use my phone that much. I take it when walking, running or going to the gym or going out in general. At home, I just prefer using a Mac for phone calls and general work and entertainment. I do hope that they bring back something by the time I need to upgrade and I'll be careful with my 13 mini as it may get very hard to replace soon.

frex

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
Germany
I see so many people with monster phones and wonder if it's their primary device. I really don't use my phone that much. I take it when walking, running or going to the gym or going out in general. At home, I just prefer using a Mac for phone calls and general work and entertainment. I do hope that they bring back something by the time I need to upgrade and I'll be careful with my 13 mini as it may get very hard to replace soon.
Same. My primary device is Mac and Watch. Phone is just filling the gaps and I prefer it as small as possible.

Quackington

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
As someone who loves the mini, the only thing I don’t like is the battery life. My 13m is now over 2 years old and I think I’m going to have the upgrade in calendar Q4. Might get a refurb of the larger 13 or 14 if it’s available.

Reactions: pshufd

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
As someone who loves the mini, the only thing I don’t like is the battery life. My 13m is now over 2 years old and I think I’m going to have the upgrade in calendar Q4. Might get a refurb of the larger 13 or 14 if it’s available.
Sizes of small smartphones:
  • 141.5 x 71.1 x 7.8 mm: 2017 Essential PH-1
  • 131.5 x 64.2 x 7.7 mm: 2021 Apple iPhone 13 mini
  • 147 x 70.6 x 7.6 mm: 2024 Samsung Galaxy S24
  • 147.6 x 71.6 x 7.8 mm: 2023 Apple iPhone 15
  • 146.5 x 68.1 x 9.4 mm: 2023 Asus Zenfone 10
  • 148.7 x 71.2 x 10 mm: 2023 Nokia C02
  • 147 x 71 x 8.9 mm: 2022 Sharp Aquos wish
  • 149.6 x 71.9 x 9.7 mm: 2022 Nokia C100
Note: Small phones have small batteries

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire

I have the same issue on my 13 mini but plan to replace the battery late this year. It's not been a problem but I notice that overall battery charge levels are lower when I bring it back home to charge it. I may get a Magsafe charging pack to supplement it if it becomes a problem. The plan is to use the iPhone 13 mini for 5-7 years or until a small iPhone comes out (which I'd jump on). If they don't do a small iPhone again, then I'd upgrade to the smallest iPhone and use the iPhone 13 for running with it's own number. I have an iPhone 7+ with its own number as a backup phone and would just take the SIM card out of that and put it in the iPhone 13.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.