Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
The problem with mini series was more about pricing, but not form factor. They were too expensive for what it serves for, being just a standard small device.

I wish Apple may revive the iPhone Xs or 11 Pro with some new processor, and call it SE-4. Curvy form is more appealing than square edges.
I think it's the opposite. At least based on current sales figures, the Pro models are what most people want. Thus I thought what contributed to the demise of the Mini is that it was part of the base series rather than the Pro series. People who may have otherwise wanted something smaller weren't willing to give up the Pro advantages (more powerful GPU, Pro Motion, better camera, etc.). I.e., I think a Pro Mini would have sold better than a Mini.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I think it's the opposite. At least based on current sales figures, the Pro models are what most people want. Thus I thought what contributed to the demise of the Mini is that it was part of the base series rather than the Pro series. People who may have otherwise wanted something smaller weren't willing to give up the Pro advantages (more powerful GPU, Pro Motion, better camera, etc.). I.e., I think a Pro Mini would have sold better than a Mini.

I'm to the point of just wanting a thin, light, small iPhone that runs glorified WatchOS apps

I do the bare minimum with my iPhone and sort of reluctantly deal with the need to have a smartphone for much of modern society and interactions.

Reactions: pshufd

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
I'm to the point of just wanting a thin, light, small iPhone that runs glorified WatchOS apps

I do the bare minimum with my iPhone and sort of reluctantly deal with the need to have a smartphone for much of modern society and interactions.
I'll do you one better: Until last year, I used a flip phone. I loved how wonderfully small, light, and non-distracting it was. Perfect for my trail running.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
You said the "you can pick up the current SE, which is quite a bit smaller than you’d like."

That is incorrect - it's larger than the current 13 Mini

The "next SE" (supposed to be based upon the iPhone 14 body) is even larger

You're presenting options that aren't appealing to most Mini folks -- who want that size or smaller (it's why most of us have the Mini ... the "mini" part of it)

Worse, the current SE is larger than the mini but the screen is smaller. It has worse battery life, no Face ID, trash camera, worse screen (in terms of blacks) etc.

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
You said the "you can pick up the current SE, which is quite a bit smaller than you’d like."

That is incorrect - it's larger than the current 13 Mini

The "next SE" (supposed to be based upon the iPhone 14 body) is even larger

You're presenting options that aren't appealing to most Mini folks -- who want that size or smaller (it's why most of us have the Mini ... the "mini" part of it)
The screen of the SE is smaller than the screen of the Mini. And I’ve already told you that you won’t like the options I’ve outlined - you’re not comprehending what I wrote. I also outlined a scenario in which the Mini might work with longer-lasting stacked battery cells. Please understand: I know Mini people want another Mini. I don’t blame them. But they are not likely to get it.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
The problem with mini series was more about pricing, but not form factor. They were too expensive for what it serves for, being just a standard small device.

I wish Apple may revive the iPhone Xs or 11 Pro with some new processor, and call it SE-4. Curvy form is more appealing than square edges.
I most hope they revive the X because it was a small phone by today’s standards.

(Width around 70mm or lower)

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
I most hope they revive the X because it was a small phone by today’s standards.

(Width around 70mm or lower)

The iPhone 14 and 15 aren't notably wider than the X.

Xv13v14.jpg

Reactions: Chidoro

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
The main issue with the 5 and 5s is lack of 5g which makes a big difference in my area on dropped calls or having to place a call a few times to connect.
T-Mobile is just beginning to roll out VoNR in some regions. Unless you're on Dish or manually turned on VoNR on T-Mobile, 5G is doing nothing for your voice calls -- they're all still on LTE using VoLTE.

It's more likely that the addition of more band support, improvements in the cellular baseband radio, and support for the channel-aware EVS-SWB codec configuration in modern iPhones compared to the 5/5s are what is improving your voice calls.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
T-Mobile is just beginning to roll out VoNR in some regions. Unless you're on Dish or manually turned on VoNR on T-Mobile, 5G is doing nothing for your voice calls -- they're all still on LTE using VoLTE.

It's more likely that the addition of more band support, improvements in the cellular baseband radio, and support for the channel-aware EVS-SWB codec configuration in modern iPhones compared to the 5/5s are what is improving your voice calls.

T-Mobile gave 5G phones to all of their customers.

I had most problems with my iPhone 7 Plus. Switching to the 13 mini got rid of all of my connectivity issues.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
T-Mobile gave 5G phones to all of their customers.
Gave? I mean, there are upgrade promotions on all the carriers all the time that require maintaining service in order to receive monthly credits for device payments. There are plenty of people still using non-5G phones on each carrier, including T-Mobile.

Regardless, not all 5G-capable phones are going to get VoNR support from the carriers. 5G Standalone is a prerequisite for VoNR.

The iPhone 12 models have a Qualcomm X55, which does not support NR carrier aggregation.

The X55 also does not officially support VoNR (per Qualcomm) either. Some tinkerers have been able to force the X55 to do it on some Android devices with a proprietary Qualcomm debug tool. But irrespective of that, no carriers are enabling 5G Standalone for the iPhone 12 models. The data performance of a single NR carrier would be awful compared to the current experience iPhone 12 owners are getting by being able to aggregate LTE carriers in non-standalone mode.

T-Mobile has enabled SA for the iPhone 13 and above, but has only enabled VoNR in their Apple carrier profile on the iPhone 15 (Qualcomm X70).

I had most problems with my iPhone 7 Plus. Switching to the 13 mini got rid of all of my connectivity issues.
Not surprising. The iPhone 7 series sold through AT&T and T-Mobile had the Intel MDM9645, which was notoriously bad with VoLTE. I had issues with mine dropping reverse path audio all the time, even in good signal conditions. My iPhone 6s and its trusty old Qualcomm modem performed better with voice and data calls than the iPhone 7 with an Intel modem.

The iPhone 13 mini is also a solid cellular performer in my experience. Excellent for LTE and still a very good 5G NSA device. T-Mobile has enabled SA in their carrier profile on the 13 series, and even with only 2x NR CA, it's not bad. I'd still recommend it to anyone looking for a reasonably sized now-budget phone, and should easily hold up another 1-2 years without feeling dated at all.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Gave? I mean, there are upgrade promotions on all the carriers all the time that require maintaining service in order to receive monthly credits for device payments. There are plenty of people still using non-5G phones on each carrier, including T-Mobile.

Regardless, not all 5G-capable phones are going to get VoNR support from the carriers. 5G Standalone is a prerequisite for VoNR.

The iPhone 12 models have a Qualcomm X55, which does not support NR carrier aggregation.

The X55 also does not officially support VoNR (per Qualcomm) either. Some tinkerers have been able to force the X55 to do it on some Android devices with a proprietary Qualcomm debug tool. But irrespective of that, no carriers are enabling 5G Standalone for the iPhone 12 models. The data performance of a single NR carrier would be awful compared to the current experience iPhone 12 owners are getting by being able to aggregate LTE carriers in non-standalone mode.

T-Mobile has enabled SA for the iPhone 13 and above, but has only enabled VoNR in their Apple carrier profile on the iPhone 15 (Qualcomm X70).

Not surprising. The iPhone 7 series sold through AT&T and T-Mobile had the Intel MDM9645, which was notoriously bad with VoLTE. I had issues with mine dropping reverse path audio all the time, even in good signal conditions. My iPhone 6s and its trusty old Qualcomm modem performed better with voice and data calls than the iPhone 7 with an Intel modem.

The iPhone 13 mini is also a solid cellular performer in my experience. Excellent for LTE and still a very good 5G NSA device. T-Mobile has enabled SA in their carrier profile on the 13 series, and even with only 2x NR CA, it's not bad. I'd still recommend it to anyone looking for a reasonably sized now-budget phone, and should easily hold up another 1-2 years without feeling dated at all.

A friend told me that T-Mobile gave his wife a new iPhone for her old one. I've heard that from others too.

T-Mobile Free 5G Phone for Existing Customers: Introducing the T-Mobile Free 5G Phone for Existing Customers! Are you ready to upgrade your smartphone game without breaking the bank? Well, we have some exciting news for you. T-Mobile is offering free 5G phones exclusively for their existing customers. That's right, you can now experience lightning-fast speeds and top-notch features without spending a dime. In this blog post, we will explore the different types of free 5G phones available, the eligibility criteria to qualify for this offer, where and how to get your hands on one, as well as government programs and organizations that assist. So buckle up and get ready to embrace cutting-edge technology at no cost – it's time to unlock the power of 5G with T-Mobile!

This was before the Sprint merger so they may still have some customers from Sprint that are still on 4G.

At any rate, my personal experience is that I had dropped calls and had to place calls several times before connecting with my iPhone 7+ and all of the problems went away with the 13 mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.