Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
In fairness plenty of these tasks can also be done on an iPhone or a Mac and they’re not exclusive to any of these platforms.
Absolutely, but no one is claiming iPad exclusivity, or that this list can only be done on the iPad. Just things you can do with your iPad, as the title states.;)

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Affinity Designer.

It‘s a powerful vector graphics editor. Have replaced Illustrator for it in my Mac. Last year I started using it on iPad.

Affinity Designer

Thanks. I assume the external monitor support is the same for it as with most other apps - I personally wouldn’t want to do DTP on any current iPad internal screen as I prefer to have my preview at least the size of my output formats, at least when laying out print products. Still, Affinity does some cool stuff.

Reactions: bondr006

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Thanks. I assume the external monitor support is the same for it as with most other apps - I personally wouldn’t want to do DTP on any current iPad internal screen as I prefer to have my preview at least the size of my output formats, at least when laying out print products. Still, Affinity does some cool stuff.

After some time dealing with print production you get used to what works and what to avoid while laying out. At least for me. I can do it no matter the size of my screen. And the Affinity Designer for iPad can open the same files from the desktop version.

I have a MacMini that I'm using less nowadays. I'm feeling the iPad operation is more snappy and more fluent. the funny thing is that my MacMini and my iPad Pro have the same M1 processor.

Reactions: Momof9 and bondr006

stinkhorn9

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2020
37. create 3D Models
38. Create Design Sketches and Mockups
39. Create raster and vector graphic designs
40. Manage remote servers
41. Listen to Podcasts
42. Create Music
43. Write code and Develop apps
44. Manage websites
45. Use online tools
46. Order food 😂
47. Play games
48. Use terminal
49. SFTP - SSH into servers
50. Use cloud storadge
51. Use Word Excell (Pages Numbers)
52. Manage Photo Library
53. Read RSS Feeds
54. Use IRC
55. Watch Cable TV
56. Create Visual Art
#42. That’s why I have an iPad 🤩

Saturn007

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Culling from my iPad, family members, and friends.

1,034. Spreadsheets. 📒

1,035. Reading comic strips. (Try GoComics.). (For others, it's comic books.)

1,036. Waste time generally. ⏰ ⌚️

1,037. Waste time specifically -- too much time reading and commenting on news stories and MacRumors! (Similar to #32, but with more details.)

1,038. Explore astronomy.

1,039. See what's up in the night sky. (Sky Safari, GoISSWatch, Sputnik!, MoonCalendar, etc.). ✴️ 🌌

1,040. Plan viewing sessions and use during stargazing and with telescopes. (Some use apps to move their telescopes to the objects they wish to view -- planets, globular clusters, and even galaxies tens of millions of light years away from us.). 🔭.

1,041. Astronomy Photo of the Day. 🌔 🎑

1,042. Many more astronomy uses.

1,043. Crossword puzzles. (Some aficionados would not consider them "games".)

1,044. Bird identification -- both physical characteristics and their songs -- there are apps that are like Shazam, but for bird songs! (BirdNet, Bird QR, eBird, Merlin Bird ID). 🦆🦉🦅🦜

1,045. Following baseball; exploring over a century of stats (Baseball Stars). ⚾️

1,046. Tracking MPG. 🚙 🏎

1,047. Cooking.👩🏽‍🍳

1,048. Knitting. 🧶

1,049. Workouts. 🚴🏾‍♂️ ⛹️‍♀️ 🏋🏼‍♂️

and, last but not least,

1,050. Using NORAD to track Santa every Christmas! 📺 ✈️ 🎅 🦌 😎

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Probably some duplicates, but here are some of my favourites:

65) record screencasts by using the screen recording function to record myself annotating on pdf documents in notability with the Apple Pencil, then editing them in LumaFusion before uploading them to YouTube directly.

66) blogging in bear notes app, then exporting directly to wordpress

67) looking serious and actively taking notes during meetings when I am actually browsing twitter and reddit or messaging friends via telegram.

68) using it as a makeshift visualiser while mounted to an ipad stand

69) my homescreen is filled with widgets, giving me access to a lot of information at a glance, from my calendar to the word of the day.

neutrino17

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2022
Culling from my iPad, family members, and friends.

1,034. Spreadsheets. 📒

1,035. Reading comic strips. (Try GoComics.). (For others, it's comic books.)

1,036. Waste time generally. ⏰ ⌚️

1,037. Waste time specifically -- too much time reading and commenting on news stories and MacRumors! (Similar to #32, but with more details.)

1,038. Explore astronomy.

1,039. See what's up in the night sky. (Sky Safari, GoISSWatch, Sputnik!, MoonCalendar, etc.). ✴️ 🌌

1,040. Plan viewing sessions and use during stargazing and with telescopes. (Some use apps to move their telescopes to the objects they wish to view -- planets, globular clusters, and even galaxies tens of millions of light years away from us.). 🔭.

1,041. Astronomy Photo of the Day. 🌔 🎑

1,042. Many more astronomy uses.

1,043. Crossword puzzles. (Some aficionados would not consider them "games".)

1,044. Bird identification -- both physical characteristics and their songs -- there are apps that are like Shazam, but for bird songs! (BirdNet, Bird QR, eBird, Merlin Bird ID). 🦆🦉🦅🦜

1,045. Following baseball; exploring over a century of stats (Baseball Stars). ⚾️

1,046. Tracking MPG. 🚙 🏎

1,047. Cooking.👩🏽‍🍳

1,048. Knitting. 🧶

1,049. Workouts. 🚴🏾‍♂️ ⛹️‍♀️ 🏋🏼‍♂️

and, last but not least,

1,050. Using NORAD to track Santa every Christmas! 📺 ✈️ 🎅 🦌 😎

I read the local paper as a PDF. I use the Apple Pencil to do the puzzles. I often take screen shots to get clippings of the paper to send to family and friends.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Surf the web
Watch YouTube vids
Emails
Netflix etc.

Does anyone really do much else other than whilst working?

iPersuade

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2021
Los Angeles
64. Try a case to a jury [This is a niche use perhaps. Since 2015, I've used my iPad in every trial that I've had]. You can present evidence; and organize your jury selection, opening statement, closing argument, direct, and cross-examinations. And it looks like you're working from a notepad.]

P.S. Sorry I'm late to the party. I just discovered this thread.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
65. Is your iPad old-gen just not up to par anymore? Why not use it for a fun game of Jenga? Just stick it on top of the tower before you start the game. Not only does this make the game end faster, but the loser is pelted with a 2-pound paperweight. Fun!

Ctrlos

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2022
On-device Photogrammetry using Scaniverse.

I've tried all the LiDAR apps and Scaniverse is by far the best. Its completely ad-free (and free to download!) but its best trick is 3D modelling.

Regular Photogrammetry requires you to either take hundreds of DSLR photos and upload them to a server for processing or waiting hours on a stupidly powerful desktop. My work computer is i9, 64GB RAM and has a GeForce 1660 in. It chews through even the highest-end CAD processes with ease but takes the better part of a day to process Photogrammetry images.

The iPad Pro, because it has the LiDAR scanner to help build a skeletal mesh is capable of locally processing a model in less than 10 minutes, in the field with no web connection needed on an A-series processor. The results are incredible.

The nearest device to this is a handheld laser or LiDAR scanner costing upwards of £30k.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.