Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
On-device Photogrammetry using Scaniverse.

I've tried all the LiDAR apps and Scaniverse is by far the best. Its completely ad-free (and free to download!) but its best trick is 3D modelling.

Regular Photogrammetry requires you to either take hundreds of DSLR photos and upload them to a server for processing or waiting hours on a stupidly powerful desktop. My work computer is i9, 64GB RAM and has a GeForce 1660 in. It chews through even the highest-end CAD processes with ease but takes the better part of a day to process Photogrammetry images.

The iPad Pro, because it has the LiDAR scanner to help build a skeletal mesh is capable of locally processing a model in less than 10 minutes, in the field with no web connection needed on an A-series processor. The results are incredible.

The nearest device to this is a handheld laser or LiDAR scanner costing upwards of £30k.
Yeah, I would imagine an iPad Pro being not only a mobile powerhouse but also a scanner since it has that LiDAR camera.

Reactions: bondr006

Abmvk

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2023
Duchy of Brabant
I hope I looked at the list enough to have nothing double, but I would add:

• Present with a beamer/powerpoint
  • File management over network connected Linux and MacOS devices, using Samba
  • Controlling headless Raspberry Pi with VNC
  • Coding in C, Python (and whatever you like)
  • Compiling and running C-programs in Blink
  • Running Python programs in Pythonista and Pyto
  • charging my AppleWatch
  • Working on my clients networks, running Windows, over Citrix, Remote Desktop, etc.
  • Using GitHub
  • Create, use and export mindmaps
  • Sync notes and pdf on Remarkable
  • Manage bank accounts

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I hope I looked at the list enough to have nothing double, but I would add:

• Present with a beamer/powerpoint
  • File management over network connected Linux and MacOS devices, using Samba
  • Controlling headless Raspberry Pi with VNC
  • Coding in C, Python (and whatever you like)
  • Compiling and running C-programs in Blink
  • Running Python programs in Pythonista and Pyto
  • charging my AppleWatch
  • Working on my clients networks, running Windows, over Citrix, Remote Desktop, etc.
  • Using GitHub
  • Create, use and export mindmaps
  • Sync notes and pdf on Remarkable
  • Manage bank accounts
The first one was a game changer for me when I used to do a lot of presentations. Loved using the iPad in Goodnotes to highlight and make annotations in the presentation as I went. And as a flip chart for getting feedback from the audience.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
On-device Photogrammetry using Scaniverse.

I've tried all the LiDAR apps and Scaniverse is by far the best. Its completely ad-free (and free to download!) but its best trick is 3D modelling.

Regular Photogrammetry requires you to either take hundreds of DSLR photos and upload them to a server for processing or waiting hours on a stupidly powerful desktop. My work computer is i9, 64GB RAM and has a GeForce 1660 in. It chews through even the highest-end CAD processes with ease but takes the better part of a day to process Photogrammetry images.

The iPad Pro, because it has the LiDAR scanner to help build a skeletal mesh is capable of locally processing a model in less than 10 minutes, in the field with no web connection needed on an A-series processor. The results are incredible.

The nearest device to this is a handheld laser or LiDAR scanner costing upwards of £30k.
I’d guess as like in plenty other photography areas, iPhones are typically preferred for their more compact size and often more up to date camera system. But yes, photography stuff can be done on iPad.

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
  • I use the 13" iPad Pro as an external HDR reference e display with my MBP. It's the most cost effective way to get a 1600 nit HDR display for grading. Great for MBA users that do not already have a XDR Display.
  • Just being able to use a iPad in general as an external display with a MBP using Sidecar is a really nice feature. Takes up very little space in my laptop bag but when I travel I have a dual display setup.
  • One of the best HDR TV viewing experiences out there. Especially when paired with my Air Pods Pro with spatial 3D sound. Watching HDR streaming shows/movies with 1600 nits and 3D sound is really amazing for one person.
  • Can now run Resolve to use for on set color grading tests.
  • I do live DJ sessions with my iPad every week using the Djay app. I have to stream through OBS on another computer but the iPad is hooked up directly to a Pioneer DJ controller. Using a USBC hub I run power and can plug in an external drive with songs if needed whole hooked up to the DJ controller.
  • Photo frame. Much better screen than most of the cheap digital photo frames out there. While working at my desk I sometimes just set my iPad up off t the side to cycle through my favorite family photos.
  • Great inflight entertainment for airlines that now have their own streaming app. The large screen is big enough to use a headphone splitter and watch movie together with a friend/family member. Assuming each doesn't already have their own iPad. If you know you have an upcoming flight or plan on booking a flight look into which have good streaming video services and get the apps before you board and you still have internet. The only time this gets pointed out typically is by the flight attendants when everyone is already seated and no longer has internet access. I much prefer this to the crappy in seat screens flights used to have.
  • I know gaming has been mentioned but what has not been mentioned is how great some games can be when you pair a game controller. I use Xbox controllers with my iPad Pro and Apple TV and it's a game changer for action type games. My Apple TV is like a proper game console now and the iPad is like a 13" portable gaming setup where one can lean back in a chair and have some fun without holding or touching the iPad.

I will admit to me the iPad is still mostly a consumption device. While I can and sometimes do use it for productivity or creation of content I find it more cumbersome and slower than using my MBP. It's neat it can be done and I'm glad to see for some users it is a complete replacement. I love my iPad Pro but if I had to do this all over again I would invest more into an even more powerful laptop and just get a cheaper iPad. The extra performance of the M1 iPad Pro is really nice but it's mostly wasted for what I do. The Djay app processes songs so much faster and never skips a beat but I had a base iPad before that and it also worked great. Took longer to process a huge library of songs but that only needs to happen once. The XDR screen is great but now that I have a 14" MBP with XDR it's mostly now just a TV consumption device for me at night when everyone else is asleep. As long as my current model doesn't die on me and as long as it still functions with all the streaming apps I have no desire to upgrade it to another XDR iPad. I love watching HDR so if it did die or could no longer update to support streaming apps I might not have a choice but I think thats years away yet. Maybe at that point XDR will be across the board.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I use my mini 6 like a Nintendo Switch for computing. Here's my setup:

LG UltraFine 4K monitor
iPad mini 6
Logitech MX Master 3 mouse and MX Keys keyboard (Mac versions)
various other peripherals (webcam, external backup drive, etc.)

The LG monitor has 2 Thunderbolt ports and 4 regular USB-C ports, so it acts as my "dock" that connects everything together. Profile 1 and 2 on the keyboard and mouse are reserved for my work and personal MacBooks when they're being used in clamshell mode, and the 3rd profile is for my iPad. I just plug it in to the monitor, switch profiles, and now I'm using it like an iPad Pro.

If I really need two screens I will sometimes even open my MacBook next to the display and use the Logitech stuff to control both the iPad and Mac with Universal Control. (Of course, I can do this vice versa as well with the Mac displaying on the monitor and the iPad sitting off to the side.)

This is a really cool use case for the iPad in my opinion. No, it doesn't fully utilize the monitor space because it's not an M1 model, but it's so great when I'm in a pinch and don't feel like getting on the Mac.

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
I do live DJ sessions with my iPad every week using the Djay app. I have to stream through OBS on another computer but the iPad is hooked up directly to a Pioneer DJ controller. Using a USBC hub I run power and can plug in an external drive with songs if needed whole hooked up to the DJ
This!

Although I don’t do live, hobby. And don’t have a pioneer, numark. Plus don’t use a 12.9, iPad mini. This is so much better than my old clunky pc with an old clunky traktor controller.

Last edited:

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
Love this list! I (finally) got a job offer today so I celebrated by impulse buying an iPad Air M1. It is purely a QOL device for me, a super fun toy. The sidecar feature simply AMAZES me, I have had so much fun playing with it. Got the starlight color to match my new M2 MBA and of course the 2nd gen pencil.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Love this list! I (finally) got a job offer today so I celebrated by impulse buying an iPad Air M1. It is purely a QOL device for me, a super fun toy. The sidecar feature simply AMAZES me, I have had so much fun playing with it. Got the starlight color to match my new M2 MBA and of course the 2nd gen pencil.
Welcome to the club. I enjoy that same fun toy as well, most of the time.

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Welcome to the club. I enjoy that same fun toy as well, most of the time.

Toy to some, money making business and productivity tool to others.;)

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
My current iPad was a new job splurge as well, and also the starlight color! :)

bluebar

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
This is open to anyone with an iPad of whatever model....

Hey all! I got an M1 iPad Pro a few months ago, and I love this thing. Using it full time for my Realty/Property Management business and it has fully replaced my MacBook Pro(so I sold it:oops:). I decided to make an ever growing list of the things I can do with the iPad. I am sure there are more things that I'm missing so please feel free to add to the list.

1. Write/Take Notes
2. Draw
3. Create and work with .pdf
4. Create and work with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote
5. Task Manage
6. Daily Planner
7. Email
8. Text/Message
9. Phone Calls
10. Video Calls
11. Take and Edit Photos and Videos
12. Timer
13. Alarm
14. Manage Files
15. Pay Bills
16. Dictate
17. Multitask
18. Scan Documents and Photos
19. Read Books
20. Read News
21. Watch TV and Movies
22. Listen to music
23. Attend online real estate CE classes
24. Shop
25. Research
26. GPS Navigation
27. Use Siri for Digital Assistant
28. Health and Fitness Management
29. Transfer files to and from my Desktop
30. Play Games
31. Presentations
32. Socialize/Social Media/Forums and Online Communities
33. Print documents and photos
34. Receive Payments
35. Remote Control my Apple TV's
36. Send Files and Photos to People Via Text or Airdrop
37. Communicate better with clients that English is not their first language using translator apps.
I use my iPad to for filling out digital forms that I have created. It's so much more efficient than filling out paper forms.

Last edited:

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Electronic flight bag, this is the primary reason I have the iPad

87-ADFE4-B-DCB3-4457-97-F8-49199-EDFA6-C0.jpg

Shooting (this I use my iPhone more for this though)

C919-EE26-CA56-4-C0-C-AC94-0089885005-A9.jpg

Last edited:

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
Mine has become my bedtime news reader. I am using my 3 free months of  news and I may end up keeping it, which I never expected. I scroll through articles during the day and save them to my reading list for when I'm in bed. Not a fancy use, but I genuinely splurged on this toy with no real reason other than wanting to be more creative and, well, wanting the new toy for brain chemical purposes.

JTK Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
Now we just need in iPadOS17...
  • improved external display support
  • external webcam support
  • ASD firmware update support
  • the ability to import music files from other sources into the Music app
  • Smart Folders in the Photos app
  • the ability to extend to an external display without SM
I'm sure there's more but these were top-of-mind when I tried using an iPad as my only computer. This, in addition to better external display support from 3rd-party apps. E.g. YouTube is clunky on an external display.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericwn

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Now we just need in iPadOS17...
  • improved external display support
  • external webcam support
  • ASD firmware update support
  • the ability to import music files from other sources into the Music app
  • Smart Folders in the Photos app
  • the ability to extend to an external display without SM
I'm sure there's more but these were top-of-mind when I tried using an iPad as my only computer. This, in addition to better external display support from 3rd-party apps. E.g. YouTube is clunky on an external display.
Thanks for posting your list of "things you wish you could do" in my "Things You Can Do With Your iPad" thread. Maybe that would be an interesting thread of its own.;)

• Angry
Reactions: Eradik
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.