Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
...No it's not. It's 1.17" thick. The MacBook Air is 0.76". The Sony is 0.4" thicker.

Either Jobs ****ed up in the keynote or he was talking about the thin part, but I remember him saying something about the TZ being 0.9'' thick. Maybe it's 0.9'' for the thinnest and 1.17' for the thickest.

Either way, besides that, it's an awful comparison.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
If the Sony ran OS X, I'd be all over it - I love the specs.

But, for those grousing about footprint, the Sony takes up about 25% more volume, so it's a fair bit bigger (MBA is, altogether, about 80 cu. inches, and the Sony is almost 100 cu. inches). Getting a volume equal to a quarter the size of the entire MBA lets you add a fair bit of stuff.

Winglet

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2007
Upstate, NY
Zioxide, I stand corrected!

Sorry, it is carbon fiber. Now that you mention it, I knew that, just a small brain fart I guess! I do agree with all you said about the features of the SONY as compared to the MBA. The Air isn't close, IMHO.:)

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Sorry, it is carbon fiber. Now that you mention it, I knew that, just a small brain fart I guess! I do agree with all you said about the features of the SONY as compared to the MBA. The Air isn't close, IMHO.:)

Personally, I'd rather have the larger screen, full-sized keyboard, faster processor and thinner frame of the MBA over the Sony. But to each their own—that's why there are different products, to cater to different needs/preferences. :)

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
Personally, I'd rather have the larger screen, full-sized keyboard, faster processor and thinner frame of the MBA over the Sony. But to each their own—that's why there are different products, to cater to different needs/preferences. :)

Should that not be, "larger screen, full size keyboard, thinner frame AND smaller overall volume" (if the poster above did his math correctly!). :D

C

EDIT: oops... forgot faster processor!

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Why do people complain about things they don't want or care about? Make no sense to me unless they actually want one but can't/won't. Especially those who start whole threads to diss. Hmmmm..... Unless of course one is a stockholder. IDK - I'm a stockholder and very happy cuz I think it'll sell like crazy.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Should that not be, "larger screen, full size keyboard, thinner frame AND smaller overall volume" (if the poster above did his math correctly!). :D

C

Smaller volume won't help you get the machine into a small bag etc. I've ladies taking their Sony from a handbag. With MacBook Air, they'd need a much much bigger bag.

Engage

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
If the Sony ran OS X, I'd be all over it - I love the specs.

it can.. search for it on google (i think they referred to as hackintoshes, if that makes the search any easier) and you will probably find some guides on how to make it happen. Im considering doing this actually.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I coulda sworn Apple and Jobs never released a product unless it was going to be a huge marketing success. Isn't that why there will "never" be a mini tower? You don't presume to know more than they do about their market than they do, do you?

;)

You're not serious with that statement are you? How does any company know if anything will be a success until it hits the market.
In terms of the mini tower, it's not that it wouldn't work but it would cut into iMac sales and even Mac Pro sales.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
it can.. search for it on google (i think they referred to as hackintoshes, if that makes the search any easier) and you will probably find some guides on how to make it happen. Im considering doing this actually.

Yeah right :rolleyes: Just another smoke screen. You'd say it was too expensive (which the Sony actually is). It doesn't offer much more than the Air and it's Windows only.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
How about this for facts?

There is nothing wrong with paying a premium for appearance and form-factor. When I looked at that list I was suprised how well the MBA stacked up against the others.

As far as style goes, the others aren't even close. A lot of people will happily pay for that. You can't just lump the specs together without taking the entire package into account. OSX should even factor into the equation.

Anthony8720

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
USA
Wow... thanks for that link. Now I am really happy that I ordered the MBA. It stacks up really well.

Now if they could just get it delivered before March 11th! Demand?

C

So far two people think it stacks up well, yet the only category that it bests all of the competition is thickness. Wow, you all must really want this thing.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
So far two people think it stacks up well, yet the only category that it bests all of the competition is thickness. Wow, you all must really want this thing.

Its the smallest laptop Apple makes. I want the best portability with OSX. You bet I really want it. Been waiting for something like this since the day I swapped W2K for OSX! The 12" was ok but the screen quality was awful to my eyes...

The other machines on that review had a mixture of features I do not need :), or were not fully featured laptops...

Regards,

C

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
Wow, you all must really want this thing.

I do. We have a home/office full of computers here. I've already got powerful desktops and a large, powerful laptop that I need to take with me once in a while to work on the road. This will be something I take with me when I don't need the 17" laptop.

I wanted something smaller and lighter, but don't like giving up too much screen size or the full keyboard. I will be able to run OSX and Windows, and I really like the way it looks.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
For those comparing "features" but not the overall package... OMG, a Ferrari has no automatic transmission? I cannot use a Ferrari to move a couch? I guess YOUR rusting junker pickup truck is better than a Ferrari then...

There is a reason you are talking about the MBA. If you have a billion dollars, would you buy the MBA? Probably.

You want it but cannot afford it. A case of sour grapes...

Most people consider MacBook and MacBook Pros as thin. Now the MacBook Air will really put the idea of a mac portable in their head.

SuperBadMacT

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
MacBook Air? As in, is there anything there?

MacBook Air is a cheap gimmic. Wait. Scratch the cheap part. World's thinnest laptop? What qualifies as a laptop computer? A display attached to input devices attached to a battery inside a plastic/alloy case? Apple is really stretching the definition of laptop with the MBA -- not in a good way. A business traveler needs portability AND flexibility. One USB port? Really now. Hmm. This means I can connect to one device (USB only of course) at one time. This makes doing my work easier? I love how Apple stresses again and again the wireless connectivity of the MBA, that having wireless eliminates one's need for any sort of removable media drive. Really. As fast as wireless N is, it can't keep up with FireWire 400, and forget about FireWire 800. Oh yeah, and wireless N is not yet a common place standard, the much slower wireless G is. Hmm. Wait, what happens if the inaccessible wireless card inside the MBA fails? Doesn't this mean I am really f*cked? Nope, I'm wrong. I could buy the $50 USB 56k modem Apple adapter and network this way!! Sweet!! Until my single USB port burns out... Upgradeable RAM and hard drive? Not with the MBA. MBA is the ultimate traveler's companion, right? So I can buy a back-up battery and switch it out on the fly, right? Wrong. Here's to hoping the MBA has a 12-hour battery life. My business travel is a pre-scheduling of unpredictable events, where the unexpected happens and you either deal with it or get a new job. The MBA is a shiny sleek device with a long list of features it does NOT have and things it canNOT do. And it sells for MORE than a MacBook (the bare bones model, mind you). Apple is a marketing genius. It convinces us to accept less and pay more for it. With a smile.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Yeah right :rolleyes: Just another smoke screen. You'd say it was too expensive (which the Sony actually is). It doesn't offer much more than the Air and it's Windows only.

You actually can run OSX on Sony machines (flawlessly on some machines as many parts are identical and so there is no need to write new drivers).

The legality of the process however is another issue...

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Why do people complain about things they don't want or care about? Make no sense to me unless they actually want one but can't/won't. Especially those who start whole threads to diss. Hmmmm..... Unless of course one is a stockholder. IDK - I'm a stockholder and very happy cuz I think it'll sell like crazy.

People have the right to express their opinions and view their ideas. In the end its just a computer so who cares. Is it nice, yes, is it sexy, yes, will it sell, nope. It serves no purpose and has no distinct advantage over the much more capable and less expensive macbook.

It is the second coming of the Cube, a nice machine, overpriced, underpowered, pretty to look at, but nobody wants to buy it.

Time will tell, but I would be willing to bet money that this will flop.... mark my words.

Cheers.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
MacBook Air is a cheap gimmic. Wait. Scratch the cheap part. World's thinnest laptop? What qualifies as a laptop computer? A display attached to input devices attached to a battery inside a plastic/alloy case? Apple is really stretching the definition of laptop with the MBA -- not in a good way. A business traveler needs portability AND flexibility. One USB port? Really now. Hmm. This means I can connect to one device (USB only of course) at one time. This makes doing my work easier? I love how Apple stresses again and again the wireless connectivity of the MBA, that having wireless eliminates one's need for any sort of removable media drive. Really. As fast as wireless N is, it can't keep up with FireWire 400, and forget about FireWire 800. Oh yeah, and wireless N is not yet a common place standard, the much slower wireless G is. Hmm. Wait, what happens if the inaccessible wireless card inside the MBA fails? Doesn't this mean I am really f*cked? Nope, I'm wrong. I could buy the $50 USB 56k modem Apple adapter and network this way!! Sweet!! Until my single USB port burns out... Upgradeable RAM and hard drive? Not with the MBA. MBA is the ultimate traveler's companion, right? So I can buy a back-up battery and switch it out on the fly, right? Wrong. Here's to hoping the MBA has a 12-hour battery life. My business travel is a pre-scheduling of unpredictable events, where the unexpected happens and you either deal with it or get a new job. The MBA is a shiny sleek device with a long list of features it does NOT have and things it canNOT do. And it sells for MORE than a MacBook (the bare bones model, mind you). Apple is a marketing genius. It convinces us to accept less and pay more for it. With a smile.

Clearly the MBA is not suited to your needs. Luckily for you they make two other models to choose from :)

C

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
I wonder how many people will buy the MBA once they held it in their hands. I can imagine it's going to be one of these products people will "fall in love" with and once they have it the MBA finds its use.

Masquerade

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2007
sony are old masters on design, when i saw for the first time the power button on the side of the TZ series portables i said: Apple will copy this! and then, the new apple keyboard appears.
also. why sony have a great line of computers and notebooks and apple, a former computer company only have 6 at the best...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.